• Tweets

• Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Can a PPC (claimant) refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
    • S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Phil & Alison V Coop 2

phatram
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you think I should put this bit?

c) The Defendant has concealed, and continues to conceal that the charges debited are unlawful. If this is not the case, and the Defendant truly believes that these charges are lawful, then the Claimant contends that the Defendant is mistaken. As the Claimant only became aware during February 2006 that the charges debited were unlawful, then section 32(1 Xb), or section 32(1 )©, of the Limitation Act 1980 should apply, and the charges debited are therefore within the primary limitation period.

If at all ?

Where do you think I should put this bit?

c) The Defendant has concealed, and continues to conceal that the charges debited are unlawful. If this is not the case, and the Defendant truly believes that these charges are lawful, then the Claimant contends that the Defendant is mistaken. As the Claimant only became aware during February 2006 that the charges debited were unlawful, then section 32(1 (b), or section 32(1 )©, of the Limitation Act 1980 should apply, and the charges debited are therefore within the primary limitation period.

If at all ?

I think i would probably go with putting it after no 7. so re number from there.. but im not quite sure if your wording is correct.

Where did you get that paragraph from.?

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Northern rock Claim stayed working on negotiation

HSBC personal claim 1 ''WON''.

£1800 plus full stat interest plus costs.

Claim started 14/02/07 offer 3/07/07

Next:Coming soon to a thread near you! :)

HSBC personal Part 2 'return of the Celicaman'

HSBC business 1 ' my empire strikes back' N1 claim POC in progress after usual offensive offer from bank

HSBC business 2 'attack of the Celicaman'

HSBC business claim 3 'bank account menace'

HSBC business 4 'Revenge of the CAG Member' the final insult ....................... 'Maybe'

Still can't find it .

The bit that bothers me is the Feb 2006 bit, any suggestions?

Ok, consulted with other half.

As i dont know what you have put before this quote and its labelled as ©

It should read before it

© 'The claimant contends that'

The defendant has concealed..etc.....................

and the rest is fine

Yes the date is strange as i thought it was april, it could be that the oft report of feb 2006 was published april 2006 ?????

Also in your statement, im not sure because of your claim starting in 1999 if you can still refer to the 1999 utccr, as they are same year, check that as well. If not then you rely on the utc 1977 ?

Going to check some other stuff later when home.

Celicaman

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

HSBC business 1 ' my empire strikes back' N1 claim POC in progress after usual offensive offer from bank

HSBC business 4 'Revenge of the CAG Member' the final insult ....................... 'Maybe'

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cooperative-bank/75783-phil-alison-co-op-3.html

Hi,

would someone look at Co-Op's defence for me please and advise which S.O.E to use.This is urgent as I'm going away next week and so have to take it to court in the next two days.

And then look here,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cooperative-bank/104039-help-o-e.html

And advise please.

Many many thanks

hi, are you sorted yet.

I would go with zootscoots version. Both reasons are valid on the mistaken paragraph, but the one where we we mistaken in allowing the banks to take funds until disclosed in 2007 seems to carry more weight.

I think because it was not specific to any one bank, whereas the 2006 OFT report was more to do with credit cards, although the OFT did say in its report that it should also be for bank accounts it was not that specific.

Could do with somebody doing a histogram of who reported what & when LOL, and also what the hell it meant :)

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Between:

xxxxxxxx -And-

The Cooperative Bank Plc

(Defendant)

1st WITNESS STATEMENT OF

xxxxxxxxx

1. I, the Claimant, am a litigant in person in this case.
  2. I make this Witness Statement in support of my claim against the Defendant for the refund of penalty charges levied to my bank account by the Defendant bank.
  3. I make this Witness Statement from information and facts within my own knowledge and which I believe to be true.
  4. On 28/02/07 I wrote to the Defendant, setting out the nature of my complaint and requesting that the Defendant refund the charges.
  5. Upon unsatisfactory response from the Defendant, On 19/03/07 I again wrote to the Defendant requesting a refund of said charges and advising I would file a claim should I not receive a satisfactory response.
  6. Upon a further unsatisfactory response from the Defendant, On 27/04/07 I filed a claim at Derby County Court for the return of the charges levied by the Defendant, as particularised and detailed in the Particulars of Claim.
  7. The Defendant acknowledged service of the claim on 04/05/07.
  8. The Defendant filed its defence on 30/05/07.

Overview
  9. I submit that the charges levied to my bank account, as set out in the enclosed schedule, are, notwithstanding the defence of the defendant, default penalty charges arising directly from my breaches of the contract between myself and the Defendant. As a contractual penalty, it is submitted that the charges are unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 ("UTCCR"), the Unfair Contracts (Terms) Act 1977 ("UCTA"), and the common law.
  10. It is admitted that the Defendants charges were levied in accordance with the terms and conditions of the account in question. However, it is submitted that the Defendants charges are not related to or intended to represent any actual loss caused by the breach of contract, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant, which by virtue of the legislation and provisions cited in paragraph 9 above, exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

Disguised Penalties, breach of contract and statutes of limitations act
  11. The Defendant avers that the charges levied are legitimate fixed price contractual services, not related to breach of contract, and therefore not required to be a pre-estimate of loss incurred on the part of the Defendant. I refute this interpretation and further submit that this contention is merely an attempt to 'cloak', or disguise, its penalties in order to circumvent the common law and statutory prohibition of default penalty charges with view to a profit.
  12. I believe the definition of a 'service’ to be a provision of knowledge, skill or other transferable facility that benefits the consumer, and one which the consumer agrees is at a reasonable market rate commensurable with the service provided. I believe it to be inconceivable that the charges levied to my account by the Defendant could be any form of service', rather than a penalty. I did not want the Defendant to perform any services, I did not ask the Defendant to perform any services and I was not given any option as to whether the Defendant performed any purported "services" on my account.
  13. I understand the definition of a breach of contract to be the failure of a party, without legal excuse, to perform an agreed obligation pursuant to any or all of the terms agreed within that contract. I have an overdraft with the defendant. This overdraft has a contractually agreed limit, which is an express term of the bank account contract between myself and the Defendant. The definition of the word "limit" given by the Oxford English Dictionary is as follows;

noun 1 a point beyond which something does not or may not pass. 2 a restriction on the size or amount of something. 3 the furthest extent of one’s endurance. • verb (limited, limiting) set or serve as a limit to.

When I exceeded the contractually agreed overdraft limit, therefore breaching an express term of the contract between myself and the Defendant, I was consequentially penalised for each such breach by way of charges between of £10.00 and £35.00 or multiples thereof.
  14. The banks charges arise directly from the happening of an event. It is a clear requirement of the terms of the account contract that sufficient funds are available to cover payments made by standing order or direct debit, or overdraft drawings. A charge arises when these requirements are not met – I.e. when a payment or drawing is made from the account which is not supported by sufficient available funds.
  15. If the Defendant’s interpretation were to prevail, it would be entirely conceivable that any supplier or contractual party in the future would be able to avoid the protection afforded by the law governing liquidated damages simply by describing the consequences of the relevant event as a payment for service rather than damages for breach. Such a result would seriously damage the interests of the consumer and destroy the body of common law on liquidated damages which has been built up over the last 100 years.
  16. It is further submitted that the Defendant's contention that the charges are now a service charge represents a contradiction to materials published by the bank previously.
  17. The Defendants comments that my claim is statute barred is in my opinion incorrect for the reasons I set out below.
  18. The Cooperative Bank have already paid beyond 6 years plus interest at 29.9% to my wife MRS xxxxx xxxxxxx who is the joint account holder with myself.
  19. a). In so far as any charges relating to the period before 21/09/2000, the Claimant wishes to invoke s.32 (1) (b) of the Limitation Act 1980 in that the Defendant deliberately concealed the true cost of administering the contractual breaches committed by the Claimant and thus essential facts relevant to the Claimant's right of action have been concealed and continue to be concealed by the Defendant.

b). Alternatively, the Claimant seeks to rely upon s.32(1)© of the Limitation Act. The Claimant paid the charges in the belief that they reflected the true cost of administering the contractual breaches. The Claimant has now discovered, following revelations relating to a similar organisation, that the true costs are much lower and that the belief held by Claimant was in fact mistaken.

It is thus submitted that in accordance with s.32(1)(b), s32(1)© and s.32(2) that the time period for the purposes of the Limitation Act does not begin to run until the Claimant’s reasonable discovery. This was the 21st March 2007 when the revelations were made public

Office of Fair Trading Analysis

1. I refer to the statement from the Office of Fair Trading (April 2006), who conducted a thorough investigation into default charges levied by the British financial industry. While the report primarily focused on Credit card issuers, the OFT stated in its overview that the principle of their findings would also apply to Bank account charges and indeed those of the entire financial and lending industry. They ruled that default charges at the current level were unfair within their interpretation of the UTCCR. With regard to the 'cloaking' or disguising of penalties, the OFT said this;

"4.21.Disguised Penalties
    The analysis in this statement is in terms of explicit, transparent default fees. Attempts to restructure accounts in order to present events of default spuriously as additional services for which a charge may be made should be viewed as disguised penalties and equally open to challenge where grounds of unfairness exist. (For example, a charge for 'agreeing' or 'allowing’ a customer to exceed a credit limit is no different from a customers default in exceeding a credit limit.) The UTCCR's are concerned with the intentions and effects of terms, not just their mechanism".
  2. Further, in April 2007 the OFT issued a report titled "Unfair Contracts Terms Guidance – Consultation on revised guidance for the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999". Relevant sections from this report are quoted as follows;

"Section 5.8 - Disguised penalties. Objections under the Regulations to an unfair financial penalty can apply to any term which requires excessive payment in the event of early termination, or for doing anything else that the supplier has an interest in deterring the consumer from doing. The Regulations are concerned with the intention and effects of terms, not just their mechanism. If a term has the effect of an unfair penalty, it will be regarded as such, and not as a 'core term'. Thus a penalty cannot be made fair by transforming it into provision requiring payment of a fee for exercising a contractual option."

Section 18 1.3
    "These objections are less likely to arise if a term is specific as to what must be paid and in what circumstances. In that case, it may be considered a 'core' term and exempt from consideration for fairness provided it is in clear language and properly drawn to consumers' attention – see Part IV, paragraph 19.12. (But note that this may not hold good if it is a 'disguised penalty', that is, a term calculated to make consumers pay excessively for doing something that would normally be a breach of contract."

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999
  3. In the absence of an express term of the account agreement prohibiting exceeding the limit of the overdraft facility and/or prohibiting the payments of standing orders and direct debits without sufficient funds, I will aver that there is a term implied to the same effect. Without such term the consumer would be afforded no protection whatsoever from the inequity between the bargaining powers of the parties, and it is an intended effect fundamental to the UTCCR and other consumer contract regulations to imply terms in order that such great imbalance in the rights of the parties is redressed to some extent.
  4. Further, under the UTCCR:

"5. - (1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

(2) A term shall always be regarded as not having been individually negotiated where it has been drafted in advance and the consumer has therefore not been able to influence the substance of the term.

(3) Notwithstanding that a specific term or certain aspects of it in a contract has been individually negotiated, these Regulations shall apply to the rest of a contract if an overall assessment of it indicates that it is a pre-formulated standard contract.

(4) It shall be for any seller or supplier who claims that a term was individually negotiated to show that it was."

Schedule 2 also includes such clauses (to define examples of unfair clauses) as:

"(i) irrevocably binding the consumer to terms with which he had no real opportunity of becoming acquainted before the conclusion of the contract;

(j) enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract;

(m) giving the seller or supplier the right to determine whether the goods or services supplied are in conformity with the contract, or giving him the exclusive right to interpret any term of the contract."
  5. The defendant is a multi-national corporation. The term regarding charges was inserted unilaterally in contract. The contract was pre and mass produced and I had no opportunity to negotiate the clause, or indeed any part of the contract.
  6. The cost of The Cooperative Bankscharges have increased substantially and indiscriminately during the time my account has been in operation, at no time was I ever given the opportunity to negotiate, or even notified of this increase. This means the bank, a powerful financial institution, has unilaterally altered the terms of my account contract to my detriment, and to their advantage.
  7. I submit that it is wholly unfair that the defendant should hold such power in relation to the terms of the bank account contract relating to charges. The defendant, if its interpretation of its terms were to prevail, would have the unlimited power to increase the cost of its charges unregulated and without an assessment of fairness. The defendant and other UK banks would then be free to unilaterally alter the term and increase the cost of its charges to whatever it chose to unabated, with significant and highly detrimental consequences to the consumer and the intentions of the consumer regulations.

Penalty Charges
  8. If the court is persuaded that the charges were levied for breach of contract or that the penalty provisions are applicable irrespective of a finding of breach, it is the Claimant’s submission that the charges are indeed penalty clauses.
  9. It is not disputed that the Defendant is entitled to recover its damages following my breaches of contract, and it is entitled to include a liquidated damages clause. I accept without reservation the banks right to recover its actual losses resulting from the breach or a genuine pre-estimate thereof. A penalty however, is unenforceable.
  10. I will cite the case of Robinson v Harman [1848] 1 Exch 850, which states that a contractual party cannot profit from a breach and the charge for a loss suffered from a breach of contract should be the amount necessary to put both parties in the same position before the breach occurred.
  11. Lord Dunedin in the case of Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co v New Garage & Motor Co [1915] AC 79 set down a number of principles in definition of a penalty clause. One of these principles being -

"The sum is a penalty if it is greater than the greatest loss which could have been suffered from the breach"
    and;
    "The essence of a penalty is a payment of money stipulated as in-terrorem of the offending part"
  12. I will further rely on numerous recorded authorities dating throughout the 20th century to the most recent case of Murray v Leisureplay [2005] EWCA Civ 963, all of which have upheld and reinforced the principles set down by Lord Dunedin defining contractual penalty clauses and the unenforceability thereof.
  13. Further, under the UTCCR, schedule 2 (1) includes to define an example of an unfair clause as -

"(e) requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation"
  14. It is submitted that the charge is an unconscionable penalty as it is extravagant and exceeds any loss that the Defendant could have expected to have incurred as a result of the Claimant’s breach and seeks to deter the Claimant from breaching the contract.
  15. The Defendant, or indeed any of the UK banks, has never published any information to support how their charges are calculated, or what their actual costs associated with such breaches are, or what revenue they derive from such charges.
  16. For the recent BBC2 documentary "The Money Programme", the BBC appointed a commission of former senior banking industry figures and business academics to attempt to ascertain the actual costs to the UK banks of processing a customer's breach of contract. They concluded that the absolute maximum conceivable cost that could be incurred by a direct debit refusal or overdraft excess is £2.50, and of a returned cheque £4.50. They did state however, that the actual cost is likely to be much less than this. The commission also estimated that the UK banks collectively derive as much as £4.5 billion in profit a year from their charging regimes.
  17. It is submitted that the Defendants charges are applied by an automated and computer driven process. This process consists of a computer system 'bouncing' the direct debit, and sending out a computer generated letter. It is therefore impossible to envisage how the Defendant can incur costs of £30 - £35 by carrying out this completely automated process. The letter received notifying the customer of a charge is identical in every instance, and if multiple breaches occurred on the same day, a separate letter will be sent in each instance.
  18. On 22nd May 2006, the House of Commons passed an early day motion which welcomed the OFT's statement that default charges should be proportionate to the actual loss incurred. The house described such default charges as "exorbitant" and "excessive".
  19. I will also cite a BBC radio interview in 2004 with Lloyds TSB's former head of personal banking, Peter McNamara, in which he states that revenue derived from bank charges are used to subsidise free banking for all personal customers as a whole.

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
  20. As submitted above, I believe the charges levied to my account to be disproportionate contractual penalties, arising directly as a result of clear and demonstrable breaches of express and/or implied terms of the account contract between myself and the Defendant. I vehemently refute the Defence's contention that they are legitimate contractual service charges.
  21. However, and without prejudice to paragraph 18 above, in the event that the charges were accepted by this honourable court as being a fee for a contractual service, I will contend that that they are unreasonable under section 15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.
  22. If the charges are services, there must be a correlation between the service provided and the cost. The cost of The Cooperative Banks charges has increased substantially and indiscriminately during the time the account has been in operation. Further, there have been numerous claims of this nature brought against the defendant in the last 12 months. In a significant proportion of these cases orders have been made obliging the disclosure of these costs and each time these orders are breached by the defendant. If the defendant avers its charges are reasonable within the meaning of section 15, I would contend that it is incumbent upon it to justify the price by producing evidence of its actual costs.

Summary
  23. As set out previously, it is submitted that The Defendant's charges can not be considered to be a service charge. They arise as a direct consequence of an event demonstrable as a breach of the account agreement between the parties. In arguing that they are a service charge, the defendant also effectively admits that its charges make profits. The Defendant seemingly contends that their charges are not subject to any assessment of fairness whatsoever. This implies they can alter the term of contract to set the charges at whatever level they like without limit or regulation - contrary to the intended effects of consumer legislation such as the UTCCR. Similarly, as set out above, the charges cannot be considered to be liquidated damages. They, by The Defendant's own admission, are not a pre-estimate of loss incurred as a result of the breach of contract. The charges are disproportionate, punitive, held "in-terrorem", and unduly and extravagantly enrich the Defendant. As such, they are disguised contractual penalties and unenforceable at law.
  24. Statement of Truth

I, the Claimant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true.

Signed:

Dated:

Sorry to put this here, but I have to take this to court tomorrow.

Phil & Alison V Co-Op 2

Hi,

would someone look at Co-Op's defence (above) for me please and advise which S.O.E to use.This is urgent as I'm going away next week and so have to take it to court in the next two days.

And then look here,

Help with S.O.E

And advise please.

Many many thanks

phatram, I've asked for further advice on the above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

4 threads merged. It's hard to help when you don't keep all your progress on one thread.

Unless I'm missing something in the defence you have posted, I didn't see anything about a service, so you should not use the above SOE in my opinion, although I'm not an expert.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

4 threads merged. It's hard to help when you don't keep all your progress on one thread.

Unless I'm missing something in the defence you have posted, I didn't see anything about a service, so you should not use the above SOE in my opinion, although I'm not an expert.

Would you please tell me which paragraphs to leave out, eg, number 12, 42 etc.

Thank you

Hiya

there is a S.O.E posted on here somewhere by peter rabbit which covers both angles (service and pre estimate) i will have a look and post it here for you.

claire

:pI'VE CLAIMED MY BARCLAYS CHARGES BACK.:p

£5125.60

Im no expert everything i write is what i learnt from my own experience and reading through other threads. Click my scales if you wish to!:)

This is all i can find so far http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-492578.html .

i will carry on looking

:pI'VE CLAIMED MY BARCLAYS CHARGES BACK.:p

£5125.60

Im no expert everything i write is what i learnt from my own experience and reading through other threads. Click my scales if you wish to!:)

Thanks Caro,

sorry to be a nuisance but this is getting urgent.

Surely it wouldn't hurt to have bits in which maybe irrelevant as the court will just ignore them?

We think we will go with it and cross everything!

Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry, but I'm really no expert on SOE's, and can't seem to find anyone around today who is. At the end of the day, the claim is yours and you must do as you see fit, but I would suggest that you make sure that you do cover the issues raised in the defence.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.