Claiming back Orange DD charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sending the following to Orange tomorrow...

The Executive Office,

Orange,

PO Box 10,

Patchway,

Bristol, BS32 4QJ.

Dear Sir,

Account Number xxxxxxxx

We have been customers of Orange for over 10 years and up until recently we have been largely satisfied with the service received. However, the imposition of a charge of £2.98 + VAT each month for not paying by Direct Debit has negated all the goodwill of that period.

We cannot see how this charge can be justified for what is a fully automated payment method (Orange Billing Helpline). Even if a human was involved, £2.98 for two minutes work is getting towards the rate lawyers charge. I’m sure no one who answers the phones for Orange is on £90 an hour.

Therefore it is with regret that if Orange cannot credit the account with the punitive amounts already charged as a 'Non Direct Debit' fee, we will have no alternative but to terminate the contract at the first opportunity, as we do not believe in patronising firms that treat customers in such a cavalier manner. If you are agreeable to the crediting of these amounts and the removal of further similar charges, we will of course be happy to continue as an Orange subscriber.

These 'Non Direct Debit' fees look very much like penalties, not "Additional services" as itemised on the bill. As such, they should not have been levied. If Orange feel unable, in the course of good customer relations, to refund these charges already taken and to not apply them in future, We are more than willing to let the courts rule on the legality of such penalties.

We do hope this will not be necessary?

Yours faithfully,

I'll keep you all posted with progress

Meteor58

Looks good. The strange thing is I don't get charged a fee and I've been with them for 13 years, since they launched. I wonder why they're being selective (as I'm on the small business plans).

Hi Buzby,

It's my wifes contract - Racoon 35, we're dropping it to Racoon 25 halfway through 18 month contract on Friday. That'll save £10 a month at least.

Also the amount seems to vary for different customers, hers is £2.98 +vat (£3.50).

Meteor58

A few networks have taken the 'change tariff' rule a bit further. Previously there was no restriction to drop back to a lower tariff, then it was six month, then half the original contract term, now 3UK and T-Mobile are holding users to the original tariff without any opportunity to downgrade.

Ive called Orange CS and had a go about non d/d charge-(nearly every month and had some sort of refund ) someone was supposed to call me back but never did !

Called today and was told they had spoken to contracts dept and 1 d/d charge would be waived from now on!!

IT DOESNT SAY IN MY CONTRACT THEY WILL CHARGE TWICE!!:D

section 6.3.1 under payments in phone handbook

small victory but a victory none the less!

£3 better in my pocket per month!

Give them grief - tell them youve spoken to Ofcom and Trading Standards and will hold them in breach of contract if they continue to charge this fine!

:p

I'm sure they dont say in your contract they will charge ONCE!. Whilst you've got (hopefully) a victory for common sense, you can now concentrate on the REAL issue at hand... can they actually justify that it costs them £3pm to accept a payment by any other method than DD? At £36 per YEAR, that's a lot of money for something that will only take them 1 minute to do.

They actually charge £3 per phone per month, so how do they justify that? its still only one payment! so if you have 5 phones it costs you £15 for them to press a button! :eek:

When i said what my contract didnt say and i had spoken to Ofcom and sid i would hold them to breach of contract, they backed off ;)

Muppets!

No they won;t, but anyone that challenges them get it back, as they don;t want the courts deciding for them! I almost got to Glasgow Sheriff Court with SKY for £48 and they bottled out with a week to go!