Underfloor heating problem

goonerboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4830 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purhchased a Devimat underfloor heating mat to go under some laminate flooring. Before I purchased the mat I checked with the store to find out what was involved with the fitting of the mat and would it be suitable for the type of flooring.

The shop manager advised that it was a simple DIY job to fit and it would be fine under laminate flooring so I purchased it at just under £400.00.

I am not a good DIY'er so I employed electricians to install it following the instructions in the box.

The heating worked OK for a few days (not great though just about warm when you put your hands/feet on it) then it started 'tripping' the main house fuse box RCD, once every couple of hours and then after a while straight after switching it on.

I called out an emergency electrician who advised that fluctating current in the mat was causing the problem and disconnected the mat from the power supply to avoid further problems.

I rang the store and and they advised that I should go through a 'simple' checklist that they would fax to me before they could do anything further. When I received the list it was pretty techincal and obviously designed for an electricain to go through.I explained this to the store and they admitted that they thought the same! They then advised that I could ask for an official Devimat engineer to come out at a cost of £400.00 + VAT which I would get back if the problem was deemed not to be my fault!

To be honest I have had enough and I want my money back, plus the cost of relaying the floor as I feel the mat wasnt fit for purpose from day 1.

Can I do this and if not what are my options?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I would'nt have thought that "fluctuating current" was of any concern, RCD's trip on earth leakage (actually an imballance of current between live and neutral). Is it possible that it was damaged putting it down and allowed moisture to enter. Your electrician should have done an insulation test on the heating mat. Actually I've never seen a heat mat that is suitable for laminate as the element needs to dissipate its heat in something like tiles otherwise it will overheat. Alternativley its possible that the fault is being caused by the thermostat or similar. If your certain the heat mat is faulty then it needs to be taken up and checked for visual faults.

the underfloor heating used under laminate is different to that used under tiling, i have used both, the laminate underfloor heating should be filmic, ie a very thin strip like matting, under tile heating is round in section and as you say needs to have no airgaps so it will not burn out, where did you lay the flooring, was it in a dry area or a wet area? and what underlay did you use, it shoul have been thermal underlay at least 6mm thick.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Truly I've certainly notnoticed a warmth mat that'sappropriate for laminate as being thecomponentdesires to dissipate its warmth in anything like tiles or elseit's going to overheat. Alternativley its probablethat the fault is beingdue to the thermostat or comparable.