BatgirlVSHalifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

It's early days for me but I thought I would set up my own thread in preparation! SAR sent (1st class recorded) on Monday 26th Feb, received at Halifax Tuesday 27th Feb (checked through Royal Mail track/trace). I sent a postal order for £10 to cover two accounts. Bought a lovely red folder to keep all correspondence in...red being the colour of anger and all that lol!!:D

Just for info...My husband went into our local branch on Monday to actually DEPOSIT some money (a rarity in itself, believe me!). When he approached the bloke behind the counter, he was told he had to use the self-service till. I am the one who usually deals with money, so my husband didn't know what the guy was talking about (bless!). After ranting at the staff member ("what exactly DO you do all day?"/"I've stood in this queue for ages..."/"What !@* self-service till?" etc)...a female staff member led him to the till to show him how to deposit the cash.

The young girl asked my husband what type of account he had, whether we had dd/so coming out...she then went on to ask him if we have ever had to pay bank charges. "Regularly!" said hubs, and he told her we had posted a letter only that morning to claim them back. I ticked him off for divulging that to her - don't want them getting a whiff of anything!

Anyway, is this just a coincidence, or is it a new tactic? He didn't give her the chance to carry on, but I would have loved to have heard what she was going on to say. He said she looked new to the job, as there was another staff member hovering around telling/showing her what to do. She could have just been trying to sell a new product/trying to help - but I can't help feeling suspicious.

Anyone else experienced this? Would love to know your thoughts. Since coming to this fabulous site I have become so wary. Am I being cynical or was the poor girl just trying to help??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hello

Got two accounts with Halifax. Received statements for one account on Thurs April 5th, and got the others yesterday (deadline was today!).

There have been a couple of occasions in the past where I have had to stop a cheque. I remember doing it, and I remember the bank telling me it would cost £7.50. It was either that, or being charged £39.00 when it bounced. My question is, do I include this £7.50 in my statement of charges spreadsheet? I have searched on here for an answer but can't find anything. I suspect I can reclaim it, as this amount surely does not reflect the true cost??

Any info would be greatly received.

Happy Easter to you all!

B

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can advise me. I received two separate replies to my request for a refund. I have two accounts with the Halifax and it looks like there are two different people dealing with each account (subsequently I also have two claim numbers now). I need to stop this getting really confusing. Both replies were the standard "our charges are fair" etc letter. So, I sent two LBAs one to each of the staff dealing with my accounts.

I checked through track and trace and noticed that one arrived on time but the other has yet to be signed for. I have phoned Royal Mail and they said it was still in the system. The LBA 14 days are up tomorrow. Do I proceed with the next stage for the account where I know my last letter has definitely been delivered, or do I hang on and wait until I see through T&Trace that the other letter has arrived for the second account?

Hope this makes sense! Any help would really be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi

After a delay at the court with processing my N1 form (the "processing lady" has been off sick!) I phoned today and was told the papers were served on Halifax on 3rd July. I don't have the official papers from the court yet, maybe they will come tomorrow. Can I just run this by someone please...

If I don't hear anything from the Halifax by the 17th July (14 days from 3rd?) I intend to send the letter offering them another week. Is this the "right and proper" thing to do? I have read the comprehensive step-by-step guide and it would appear that the winning by default option is a lot more drawn out and involved. If I do send the 7 day letter do I need to send any forms with it? I recall seeing a lot of reference to forms beginning with N...lol...but I think that may have been for option 1.

I have been following everyone's progress on here whilst working on my own claim. So you could say I have been secretly stealing advice lol! I am getting a bit scared now though so I thought I would speak up!! I figured if Money Help sent the 7 day letter then it must be right! Well done to everyone, you're an inspiration.

BG

Hiya Tilly

Thanks for the swift reply and for confirming my next step. Just to clarify, is it just the letter on its own? No complicated forms to go with it?? Mind you, any form would be a breeze now after that bloomin N1! Congrats to you btw, you must be so darned chuffed!! I followed your story from beginning to end, well done.

BG

Hi again

Received court letter today. Deemed served 5th July, Halifax has until 19th July to acknowledge. However, the plot thickens...

I haven't heard a jot from the Halifax since I sent my LBA, that is until today. I have just received this letter...

"Thank you for your telephone call of 1st June about the charges which have been applied to your account (I haven't made any telephone call)...I have reviewed your a/c...pleased to say we offer £1296, gesture of goodwill, full and final settlement blah...To accept you don't need to take any further action, payment will be credited next 14 days...If you don't wish to accept our offer please return this payment and contact me on the above number. YS, Perry Holmes Customer Relations Manager"

My hubs thinks this is an acknowledgement of court letter, but I don't think it is. It says I phoned them 1st June but I didn't! Do you think it's a letter in response to my LBA at long last? What's anyone else done in this situation? Shall I phone Perry or send rejection letter? Or accept as part payment? Feeling a bit nervous now, especially at the thought of negotiating over the phone.

Help please!:confused:

Feeling a bit nervous now, especially at the thought of negotiating over the phone.

If you do phone, make sure you have up to date figures in front of you. Anything less than full settlement just politely refuse and then confirm this in writing

Thank you Michael

So, do you think it's worth phoning them? I've been looking at the rejection of offer letters and trying to work out which is the best one to send. Letter 5 looks the most appropriate. I don't know if this offer letter is an overdue response to my LBA or if it is a response to my court papers being issued, although it doesn't mention anything about court. The letter says I should phone the man if I don't accept. Maybe it's worth taking a deep breath and giving it a shot?? Like you said I can just politely refuse. When you mention up-to-date figures do you mean total of charges, interest and daily interest accruing since court claim started?

Sorry to whitter on!:rolleyes:

To accept you don't need to take any further action, payment will be credited next 14 days...

Typical inertia selling, so you should react to it in writing even if you don't phone. It's almost certainly in response to the LBA

When you mention up-to-date figures do you mean total of charges, interest and daily interest accruing since court claim started?

Yes and court fees

This all sounds very confusing to me. I'm also at a similar stage but have held off the N1 because on the track and trace there is no record of them receiving my LBA. However, I am in Rotherham and the day I sent this was the Monday morning as the floods occured a few hours later in the afternoon. I had visions of my letter being washed down the streets so have sent another LBA letter and am still waiting, not sure how long to wait though. I go away on the 22nd so thinking of filing to court before then.

Hi Armillariahoneydew!

Can I call you Arm for short, or Honey?:D Firstly, I hope Rotherham is managing to get back on its feet after the terrible floods.

I can understand your concerns about your first LBA, although the track and trace isn't all it's cracked up to be. When did you send the second one? The bank has 14 days to reply so maybe you will just have time to file before you go away.

Stay positive!

I agree with Michael (of course!).

Since you've been *lurking* in here - then you'll have seen that I got the same GENEROUS offer! Because it amounted to £7.5k I have accepted it as a PARTIAL settlement. (Better in my account than in theirs!!!).

If you want to do that - then it's Letter 2 (IMHO).

You & HoneydewMelon seem to be getting along fine!

Any probs - just shout!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!