• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Caro's PPI v Yorkshire Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just letting you know that when I got my statements to claim charges from Yorkshire Bank, I noticed that I have PPI from them on 2 occasions.

As I recall they insisted that I had this in order to get the loans, and the statements showed that it must have been added to the loans at the beginning as a lump sum, so I paid interest on it at the same rate as the loans which I intend to claim back. I had no idea at the time that I had the option of getting cover elsewhere. The second loan I had with YB was in part to pay off the first loan, and the same thing happened again. Looking back I can't see why my original PPI would not have covered at least part of the second loan, except of course it would have helped the bank make more money.

In addition I had to pay early redemption charges on both loans, so I obviously paid these on the borrowing for the PPI that I believe was mis-sold to me as well.

I have recently successfully claimed back all my bank charges on my current account, and today I posted a second SAR asking for information on all dealings with YB, including PPI.

I would welcome any advice or thoughts anyone has on my claim, and if they think I have a good case from the information I have provided so far.

It is great to be doing this knowing that I have had one win against this bank, and so they will know that I won't be easily deterred. I'm looking forward to it.:D

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Caro,

Have a quick look through these notes and see if thats any help.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/ppi/61081-ppi-some-notes-claimants.html

If you have any questions give me a shout and I will help if I can. Im just back from a few days in London and Knackered tonight..

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Thanks Ian. I was hoping you'd look in.:D

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Caro,

I did have a trhead in here against Lloyds which had all the letters etc included, The thread was removed for legal reasons and for the sake of CAG. lloyds did not like it very much..lol. BF and I are still in correspondence with Lloyds solicitors too over that one..lol

I am off on Holidays all next week, I hope to get some Template letters drafted up and posted on here to help others out.

I see you have submitted SAR for all your info on Loans and PPI. In the meantime I would write them a letter of Complaint re the Mis-Selling of the PPI, This will get the ball rolling until you get the Information that you need. Basically on PPI you have to Exhaust their Internal Complaints procedure first. You then have the option of going down the route of the FOS or County Courte route.

I had to go down the County Court route with GE Money / Purpleloans as they were not under the Jurisdiction of the FOS when the agreement was taken out. It has been a long Hard slog which has been ongoing since September, I will have to wait and see if they submit their defence before 8th March and take it from there. GE will be getting it again from the Press on the 8th March with a second story on my case in the Daily Record..lol.

If you need any more info , help or template letters just give me a shout M8

Good Luck

Ian

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Cheers Ian. I got home today to be told YB want to speak to me. They have a habit of saying they can't trace things without account numbers but I find that too incredible to believe.

Have a good holiday. You deserve it.

Well if they cannot find your information relating to your SAR and do not supply it..They cannot then produce it if the case goes to court. I got GE Money / Purpleloans on a similar thing. In initial letters they stated they had documented evidence relating to additional paperwork for PPI. I never got this document with my SAR, I filed a failure to comply and it was checked by a manager and all the info they had relating to my account had been sent. Then I complained to the ICO, eventually got a letter back from ICO stating that GE did not supply that information as "they do not hold a copy of the original Application".. Now as that forms their base for telling me to go away and no refund, I dont think that will look good for them in court. It will be interesting to see if they file defence by the 8th march or not .

Ian

Usual thing about they can't give me information without an account number and asking when I finished the loan. I pointed out that I didn't have the information which was why I had done a SAR. Also wanted some identification, but I pointed out that Clydesdale Bank Legal Services (Clydesdale and YB are part of the same group) had written to me as recently as 6 weeks ago and sent me a cheque so I would have thought ID wouldn't be needed.

She realised I wasn't going to be put off easily and is going to have another go.;)

Clocks ticking.

:D

• 7 months later...

I can't believe how long it is since I started this thread! No progress to report as other things have had to take priority.

Anyway today I spoke to a very pleasant gentleman from YB who promised to get someone to hunt out the details of my loans and PPI. Apparently anything without statements is harder to find. As Reidnet says, if they can't find them they won't be able to dispute my claim.

I will also do a letter to Yorkshire Bank anyway asking for my PPI back to set the ball rolling.

Are you following me round Bigmac? I was doing really well this morning but still not done letter. The car that I paid for with my YB charges is getting a lot of use as a taxi at the moment. I need the PPI to help pay for a new garage so must crack on.

I can't believe how long it is since I started this thread! No progress to report as other things have had to take priority.

Anyway today I spoke to a very pleasant gentleman from YB who promised to get someone to hunt out the details of my loans and PPI. Apparently anything without statements is harder to find. As Reidnet says, if they can't find them they won't be able to dispute my claim.

I will also do a letter to Yorkshire Bank anyway asking for my PPI back to set the ball rolling.

Hello Caro,

Nice to see you back again on the forum. It will be really nice to see what they come up with regarding your SAR. They really don't like to give you any information regarding ppi, especially the hidden interest they applied to it, in the total charge for credit.

Good luck

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

• 3 years later...

Where has the time gone?!!

After my phone conversation with the nice man from Yorkshire Bank in October 2007 I heard absolutely nothing and I did nothing either because life got a bit complicated around that time.

Well Yorkshire Bank I think it's about time that we got this sorted once and for all so time to make myself a thorn in your side again. (Hello Kirsty *waves*:wink:)

It is rather a long time since my last SAR, so as I didn't follow it up I'll send them a new one and another £10 so they can start again. Let's see if they've improved in the last 3 years.:roll:

Looks like the advice I was getting before was to write and tell them I was mis-sold PPI which I want to claim back with interest. I think that would probably be a good idea because even though I may not have all the info now, it'll set the ball rolling and they can start looking into it for themselves, and if I decide to go the FOS route later I can do it sooner rather than later. It may help them focus their search for my loan info too, although I suspect they'll say as it was over 6 years ago they don't have it, or I can't claim or some such nonsense. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

6ys from the point of discovery ( if of course it was feb 07 you discovered the mistake) so that still gives you 3 yrs.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

That confirms my thinking too Pompey. Thanks.:wink: