• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Alliance and Leicester - Progress to date:

packjoker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is a copy of the Letter Before Action I will be posting off to C Johnson at A&L tomorrow...

C Johnson

Current Account Back Office

Customer Contact Centre

Bootle

Merseyside

GIR 0AA

29th March 2006

Your Ref: xxxxxx

FINAL LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear C Johnson,

RE: ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxx

Thank you for your letter of 11th March. I now understand that the regime of ‘fees’, which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract that you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner that complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

From the information you have recently supplied, as part of my DPA disclosure request of 7th March 2006, I calculate that you have unlawfully debited my account by £548.00.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice.

Yours faithfully,

PJ

was to busy looking at the avator to read letter lol ...... that seems fine keep us posted

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another delaying letter received:

03 April 2006

Dear PJ...

Thank you for your further correspondence dated 29th March

I can confirm we are looking into the issue you have raised and will send you a full response within the next 28 days.

Yours sincerely

Ann Dawes

Customer Services

I'll be preparing my court claim in the next day or so... ;)

Hey Y'all

I am just about to issue my small claims action against Alliance and Leicester using the moneyclaim website (https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk), and thought it might help others to include the 'particulars of the claim' here:

Particulars of Claim:

The claimant has had an account with the Defendant since 13th March 1995. During this period, the Defendant has debited numerous charges to the account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant.

The Claimant contends that these charges are punitive in nature and that the contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virture of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act (1977) and the common law.

In remedy, the Claimant seeks:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges since 23/08/99 in the sum of £548.00;

b) court costs;

c) The claimant also claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 23/08/99 to 12/04/06 of £ 195.69 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.12%

Amount of claim:

Amount claimed £743.69 (inc. 8% Interest)

Court fee £80.00

Solicitor's costs £ 0

Total amount £823.69 (plus interest to day of judgement)

I will of course keep you all posted ;)

PJ..xx

Claim filed via moneyclaim.gov.uk website:

Date of claim: 12th April 2006 Time of claim: 00.01

Claimant (Packjoker)

Defendant Alliance and Leicester PLC

Description Alliance and Leicester Charges

Claim Number: 6QZ23914

Amount claimed £743.69 (inc. 8% Interest)

Court fee £80.00

Solicitor's costs £ 0

Total amount £823.69 (plus interest to day of judgement)

PJ xx ;)

Very informative to read your claim process!

A&L don't half know how to rack those charges up! I'll be finding out how much I'm owed once I've learnt the process inside and out!

Good luck, and all the best getting your money back! ;)

//Jess

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." -

Mark Twain

Hello again...

Got a letter from an A&L solicitor saying they intend to defend my proceedings (yay!):

21st April 2006

Dear Mr. PJ...

RE: Yourself v Alliance and Leicester plc

Northampton County Court Claim No: 6QZ23914

We confirm that we have written to Northampton County Court advising that we intend to defend these proceedings.

Yours faithfully.

Jackie McGuirk

Solicitor

Litigation Team

Surely that should be 'Yours sincerely', Ms. McGuirk? (Sorry, can't help being a pedant) Lets hope she's the one who's taking this to court... ;)

Also today, I received a Notice that Acknowledgement of Service has been filed from the court.

Only one interesting thing here: in the part where Ms. McGuirk (remember her?) has to declare what she intends to defend; she has ticked the option that she intends to defend the claim in part rather than ticking the option that declares she intends to defend the claim in full

Can anyone think why this might be? (or is this usual?)

PJ..xx

Surely that should be 'Yours sincerely', Ms. McGuirk? (Sorry, can't help being a pedant) Lets hope she's the one who's taking this to court... ;)

Yup, she's the same one that wrote to me with my cheque, and made the same basic letter writing mistakes (see here). Strange how they didn't even acknowledge service on that claim, let alone file a defence, but it was for around double the value of yours? :confused: I wonder how they work out which claims to defend, since it can't be based on value....

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

I just wonder how much it costs the bank to defend these claims? Solicitors dont come cheap! The company has to pay one, although it probably has a team, but there is the time preparing such a claim.

This could prove interesting!

I just wonder how much it costs the bank to defend these claims? Solicitors dont come cheap! The company has to pay one, although it probably has a team, but there is the time preparing such a claim.

This could prove interesting!

In house solicitors being paid 24/7 so your claim is just another in a days work. (Probably doing a days work more often since this forum was formed)

Banks don't farm work out at rates of £175-£200 per hour which is not recoverable in the Small Claims Court.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

YAY!!!!!!!!

I today received a cheque for the full amount of my claim. I am now £823.69 richer. I think I'll buy myself a new comptuer :)

28th April 2006

Dear PJ...

We have received from Northampton County Court a claim that you have issued. We have now reviewed your particular case and have decided in this instance to settle the claim.

This decision should not be regarded as an admission of liability on the part of the Company, nor should it be regarded as a sign of weakness on our part as we consider our charges to be fair and reasonable.

We therefore enclose our cheque in the sum of £823.69 which is paid in full and final settlement of your claim. Would you please acknowledge receipt and write to Northampton County Court confirming the case has been settled.

As it is clear that you do not accept the terms and conditions for the operation of your account we will shortly be contacting you to discuss its future operation.

Yours faithfully,

Jackie McGuirk

Solicitor

Litigation Team

As for the last paragraph...As the great Catherine Tate might say: Look at my face... Am I Bovvered? ;)

PJ..xx

PJ, They reviewing your banking facilities ? threatening to close your account ? I wonder if there is any legal arguements here, since all bank have to offer bank accounts to people, even though it is only a Basic Bank Account.

PJ, They reviewing your banking facilities ? threatening to close your account ? I wonder if there is any legal arguements here, since all bank have to offer bank accounts to people, even though it is only a Basic Bank Account.

PJ's got the same veiled threat as I got - except I've not heard a peep out of A&L since the settlement cheque came....so I couldn't tell you if it's a closure threat (yet) :confused:

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

I don't think they will close my account. I think they just added that last paragraph to try and make themselves feel better about giving me back my own money.

I'm not even going to give them the satisfaction of paying the cheque they sent me for £823.69 into my current account. It's going straight into my .ing direct savings account.

To be honest, I hope they do call me about closing my account, then I can tell them exactly where to shove it - it would be no skin of my nose to switch. As my account is about 3k in credit - they would be the ones to lose out. (but I'm not bitter! ;)) I'm sure I'd be much happier with smile.co.uk anyway (and get a better rate of interest on my current account!)... watch this space ;)

PJx

I don't think they will close my account. I think they just added that last paragraph to try and make themselves feel better about giving me back my own money.

I'm not even going to give them the satisfaction of paying the cheque they sent me for £823.69 into my current account. It's going straight into my .ing direct savings account.

To be honest, I hope they do call me about closing my account, then I can tell them exactly where to shove it - it would be no skin of my nose to switch. As my account is about 3k in credit - they would be the ones to lose out. (but I'm not bitter! ;)) I'm sure I'd be much happier with smile.co.uk anyway (and get a better rate of interest on my current account!)... watch this space ;)

Heheh, I know what you mean - I'm hoping they do come back and close the account, I'll be off to make a complaint quicker than they can say "overdraft" :D

Cheers

Michael

Just to add to your debate on the comment below;

'As it is clear that you do not accept the terms and conditions for the operation of your account we will shortly be contacting you to discuss its future operation.'

I had the same coment on my letter which came today with a cheque ;-) however my account has been closed for at least 6 months - attention to detail springs to mind. It's obviously just an idle threat.

Congratulations by the way

Just to finish off this thread properly, (and for the benefit of others...) I thought I would post my final letters to Ms. McGuirk and Northampton County Court here:

1. Letter to Ms. McGuirk acknowledging receipt of her their cheque as settlement:

Ms. Jackie McGuirk – Solicitor

Alliance and Leicester plc

Customer Services Centre

Narborough, Leicester

LE19 0AL

Your Ref: LAW/3504/JAM/ljo

Lit.42/06

Dear Ms. McGuirk,

I’m writing to acknowledge receipt of your cheque (in respect of the sum £823.69) as settlement of my claim with regard to the unlawful penalty charges Alliance and Leicester plc have been imposing on my account. Please take note: Should any charges of this type be applied to my account in the future, I shall have no hesitation in taking further action to recover the amounts charged.

Yours sincerely,

PJ

2: Letter to Northampton County Court advising them that the claim has been settled:

The Clerk Of The Court

Northampton County Court

21-27 St. Katharine's Street

Northampton

N111RN

2nd April 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Northampton County Court Claim No. 6QZ23xxxx

(Packjoker v’s Alliance and Leicester plc)

I am writing to inform you that I consider my claim for the return of the sum of £823.69 (with regard to the penalty charges imposed on me by Alliance & Leicester plc) has been settled in full - as I received their cheque on 30th April 2006 for the full amount claimed.

Yours faithfully,

PJ

That's all folks... :)

PJ ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks