• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Alliance and Leicester - Progress to date:

packjoker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well. I sent off the initial letter (from the BAG library) to A&L on 7th February demanding that they refund all my charges for the last 6 years etc.

Exactly 7 days later (14th Feburary - my only Valentine :Cry: ) I received a reply that said:

14th February 2006

Dear PJ...(or words to that effect)

I am writing in response to your recent communication and was very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service you have received.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns, we are currently looking into the situation and will be writing to you with a more detailed response.

In the meantime, I am enclosing a leaflet which explains the steps we will take to handle your complaint.

Yours sincerely

C Johnson

Current Account Back Office

Hmm.... let's see how we go from here. I'm not letting this one go.

Just one question: Should I start legal proceedings now, or wait until they get back to me?

I will, of course, keep you all posted.

PJ..xx

:lol:

Well. I sent off the initial letter (from the BAG library) to A&L on 7th February demanding that they refund all my charges for the last 6 years etc.

Exactly 7 days later (14th Feburary - my only Valentine :Cry: ) I received a reply that said:

14th February 2006

Dear PJ...(or words to that effect)

I am writing in response to your recent communication and was very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service you have received.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns, we are currently looking into the situation and will be writing to you with a more detailed response.

In the meantime, I am enclosing a leaflet which explains the steps we will take to handle your complaint.

Yours sincerely

C Johnson

Hmm.... let's see how we go from here. I'm not letting this one go.

Just one question: Should I start legal proceedings now, or wait until they get back to me?

I will, of course, keep you all posted.

PJ..xx

:lol:

Presumably you know how much you are claiming.

Use the preliminary apprach letter in the library - 14 days. Modify it so that you acknowledge their letter but say that you do not accept their open-ended commitment to respond and so you are laying down your own schedule.

Then letter before action

Then the Good News.

Presumably you know how much you are claiming.

Use the preliminary apprach letter in the library - 14 days. Modify it so that you acknowledge their letter but say that you do not accept their open-ended commitment to respond and so you are laying down your own schedule.

Then letter before action

Then the Good News.

Confused now,

sent them a letter stating wanted money back within 7 days. (already got statements from last 6 years).

They sent me reply, I was all ready to go for the court direction but got the impression from other threads that I was best sending them another letter stating not happy with the standards blar blar letter I recieved.

Damn just sent new letter giving them 14 days for full refund,

Advice please!!!!

Got to wait the 14 days now havent i? Or could I just go straight to the court.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't totally clear in my first post.

I don't actually know how much I am claiming back from them yet. I have only sent them the initial letter from the BAG library requesting a refund and asking for a breakdown of the charges levied against my account for the last six years under the DPA.

The only communication I have from them to date is the letter above.

How long should I wait for them to get back to me? As I understand it, they have 40 days to provide me with the information I have requested. (i.e. copies of my bank statements for the last 6 years) Is that correct?

I'm clear about what I need to do once I have the bank statements.

Thanx.

:roll:

Confused now,

sent them a letter stating wanted money back within 7 days. (already got statements from last 6 years).

They sent me reply, I was all ready to go for the court direction but got the impression from other threads that I was best sending them another letter stating not happy with the standards blar blar letter I recieved.

Damn just sent new letter giving them 14 days for full refund,

Advice please!!!!

Got to wait the 14 days now havent i? Or could I just go straight to the court.

I've just noticed this post. It wasn't answered more quickly because you hijacked a thread and it became confusing.

Please do not Hijack threads. Start your own.

You have sent a 14 day letter - wait the 14 days.

Received another letter from A&L today (4th March)...

28th February

Dear PJ (or words to that effect)

Further to our previous letter, I am writing to let you know that our investigations are taking longer than expected.

I am sorry for the delay and would like to assure you that we are dealing with this as quickly as possible. A detailed reply will be sent within the next 28 days.

Yours sincerely

Peter Connolly

How long does it take to print off a list of charges..!? They only have about 14 days left to supply me with the information I have requested under the DPA...since my original letter of 7th February (below)

Alliance & Leicester plc
Customer Service Centre
Carlton Park
Narborough
Leicester
LE19 0AL

7th February 2006

WITHOUT PREDJUDICE

Dear Sir,

Penalty & unfair charges – request for refund for XX XXXXXXX – Acc. No: XXXXXXXXX – Sort Code - XXXXXX

I have held the above-mentioned current account with your bank for at least the past 6 years. During this time I have incurred charges for exceeding my overdraft limit due to cheques/BACS being cleared at unfortunate times, unauthorized overdraft fees, direct debits and standing orders being dishonored (and in some cases honored) due to insufficient funds.

It is my opinion, and that of the Office of Fair Trading (OFT), that these charges are punitive in nature, not a genuine pre-estimate of cost and not intended to re-imburse your losses for a breach of contract occurring. Further to the 1999 Consumer Credit Regulations quoted by the OFT, there are numerous cases in law that prove that punitive charges in contracts are unenforceable at English law:

• Murray v. Leisure play (2005) EWCA Civ 963

• Dunlop Tyre Company v New Garage and Motor Co. (1915)

• Bridge v. Campbell Discount Co. Ltd. (1962)

There are many more cases of this type – far more than I have room to list here.

Further to these cases, I also believe these charges to be a direct breach of the 1977 Unfair Terms (contracts) Act which require that contract terms be reasonable. I do not believe these charges are reasonable as outlined in the aforementioned act.

With this in mind, I respectfully request that you return to me ALL charges made on this account in the last 6 years within 7 days of receipt of this letter by way of personal cheque. If you choose not to do so, I will start proceedings for recovery in the County Courts, as I believe that legally I am entitled to this money back. By doing so, you will be eligible for my court costs and for an extra 8% APR as allowed by the County Courts Act (1984). This money would be used in some way to clear my overdraft on this account.

Further to this, if you decide NOT to accept my offer of settlement of this issue, I would like to make a formal request under the Data Protection Act (1998) for a complete and exhaustive list of all charges made on this account over the last 6 years. As you are no doubt aware, you are afforded 40 days to comply with this request or you must request an extension from the Information Commissioner. If you are of any doubt that this information is covered by the act, may I respectfully draw your attention to the case of Durant v FSA 2003 where the judge ruled that bank statement information is indeed personal information and thus covered. In any event, this information is requested with a view to prospective legal action on my part and therefore would be covered under the same act.

Yours faithfully,

Will keep you posted... :roll:

Nice one matey, go for the jugular :twisted: If you don't mind I just might make use of that letter in my claim :roll:

May I respectfully suggest though that you change your spell checker to English-British, not English-Yank :wink:

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Got so fed up waiting for them to get their arses in gear, so I have sent them this letter (from the BAG library) with the last paragraph amended.

Peter Connolly

Customer Contact Centre

Bootle

Merseyside

GIR 0AA

7th March 2006

Your Ref: xxxxxx

Data Protection Act disclosure request

Dear Peter Connolly,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXXXX

As a follow up to my original letter of 7th February 2006, and your responses of 14th and 28th February, I am writing again to request you supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my bank account since February 2000. Alternatively a complete set of bank statements for that period will be acceptable.

Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply data relating to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response to this request.

As you are no doubt aware, you have 40 days in which to comply with my request. As it appears you have decided not to accept my settlement of this issue within the time limit I have specified, I expect to receive the complete list of transactions and charges (or bank statements) relating to my account on or before Monday 20th March 2006 as per the Data Protection Act (1998) disclosure request outlined in my letter of 7th February 2006.

Yours faithfully,

PJ

Not convinced it will make the slightest bit of difference, but as ever, I will keep you all posted :roll:

PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD, YOU'RE HIJACKING SOMEONE ELSE'S AND MAKING THINGS VERY CONFUSING FOR EVERYBODY! :evil:

Hi Everyone

I was with the A&L just over a year ago, and due to their charges - DD's Failing etc, and inconsistant Fee taking, i.e Monthly charges.

I do not know exxactly how much they have charged, but at one point, the charges were around £1000, I stopped recording them at that point, it was worrying.

So how do I go and find out about How much they have exactly charged me over is it the 6 years?

I am quite willing to take this so much further, and if I do get a result, I will be also fighting for my partner, who due to wages not going in, 10 DD's failed on the same day, and Hey £300 into the A&L pocket, and a month of extra hell to add to that, I am not pulling your leg here, IT WAS 10 DD's in 1 Day.

Your help in starting proceedings and advise whilst we go thru proceedings will so helpful.

Thanks for listening

Sophie

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Advice & opinions of Sophie-Jane are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Hi Everyone again

I have found the Data protection page, I have printed it out - edited of course with my details, and will send it off today

Lets now wait till I hear back from them, probably it will be the usual standard letter explaining that they are unhappy that I am not happy.

Too True - Not happy, never have been with the A&L

Regards

Sophie

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Advice & opinions of Sophie-Jane are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Hi Sophie, I to am just trying to take all the info in about where to start have got the letter printed out but as yet still reading everything that people are saying it look like A&L are being there usual helpfull selves & believe it or not we have been with them over 20yrs :Cry: one of the reasons being it was easyer for my husband to get to the bank as he works for Royal Mail & it was Giro bank but they have never been that good, but now they are no help at all ,the charges are what it pulling us down , they can send letters out on the day they know our wages are going in so then it is just down bank all the way , so I think it is time they started being a bit more helpfull to the customers , will Keep reading through till I am confident in what I am doing Thanks everyone for the help .Anne

:evil:

Please start your own thread(s).... and don't hijack MINE!!!!

I was trying to keep things nicely ordered...looks like that has gone out of the window.. Had you bothered to read the FAQ's, you would have found all the information you needed...you're just being plain lazy.... :(

PJ

Dear PJ

Please accept my apology, I am new here, and did not realise

Hope you can forgive me

Hugs

Sophie

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

packjoker i am in the same boat as you with A+L, i got the same reply as you on the 7th day of the 14 day limit (i think) will follow your progress to see how you get on... good luck mate!!! hope we can both be successful.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a further update (similar to A&L responses posted by others):

11th March 2006

Dear PJ etc..

Thank you for your letter of 7th February regarding charges that have been debited to your account and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

Having noted your comments, I must advise that our charges are clearly shown within our literature, they reflect the market and are in line with our competitors. We make no secret of our charges, which are detailed on the reverse of your statement and are contained within the terms and conditions of your account.

Whilst I appreciate your dissatisfaction regarding this issue, I regret to tell you that I am unable to make any adjustments to your account.

Turning to your request for a list of charges raised on your account over the last six years. Due to the work involved there would be a charge of £10.00 for this service, please confirm in writing that your agree to the charge and we would be happy to comply to your request.

I hope we will now be able to draw this matter to a close and if I do not hear from you within the next 8 weeks I will assume this is the case. However, in accordance with regulatory requirements, I am enclosing our leaflet which explains the steps you would need to take should you with to pursue this matter further, including the ultimate availability of the Financial Ombudsman Service.

I trust that our service will meet your requirements in the future. However, should you need further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

C. Johnson

Also enclosed was a (dodgy photocopy of a) A&L Data Protection Act Information Disclosure Request Form. (A basic form that asked what information I required, my account details etc..and looked as though is had been thrown together in a hurry...

I have since completed the A&L DPA Request Form and returned it with my £10.00 fee. I now have to wait for them to get back to me with a list of charges or my bank statements before I can proceed further.

As ever, I will of course keep you all updated.

PJ :)

Received a parcel from Alliance and Leicester this morning, containing about 700 sheets of A4 paper detailing all my transactions since September 1999 and information about all customer service calls/requests I have made.

There was no covering letter, it was left on my doorstep and the parcel didn't even have my name on the front (just my address).

On first sight, it was pretty daunting to think I would have to trawl through that lot to try and work out how much they have fleeced from me over the years, but once I started it wasn't so bad.

The grand total is £541.50 (not as much as I had expected!)

I will now get on with entering the details into the excel spreadsheet in the library, to put the charges in order and work out the interest before I send A&L the 'letter before action'.

I will, of course, keep you all updated. :)

PJ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks