• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

UKPC parking invoice - tesco Faraday retail park,Coatbank Street, Coatbridge. ML5 3SQ scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just though people might want to reed this taken from q&a law answers.co.uk

this is the link Defending a parking charge notice issued by UK Parking Control — law answers

Defending a parking charge notice issued by UK Parking Control

I am insured to drive my father's car and whilst using it I was issued with a parking ticket from UKPC for allegedly being parked outside the parking bay. (The photographic evidence was somewhat questionable in any event). The actual parking ticket stated that a charge notice would be issued within 28 days, however, UKPC did not actually issue such notice until 35 days after the ticket issue date. I forwarded a letter to them informing them that their charge notice is invalid as it is out of time however, they have wrote back stating that they are not willing to waive the charge. What should I do next? The owner/registered keeper is my father not me. Have they breached their own terms and conditions by issuing charge notice out of time?

This is a civil matter and dealt with by contract law. By entering the car park and failing to comply with their conditions (in this case by failing to park within the bay) UKPC would argue that you breached a contract with them. The contract needs to be informed by signage. No offence has been committed and their only recourse to enforcement is through a civil court. They will huff and puff a lot about imminently issuing proceedings but letters are cheap and litigation is expensive so don't expect a writ any time soon.

Our first advice is state that you have taken legal advice and that your advisers have stated that you have a good case and that you will defend the claim in court and demand they issue proceedings within 14 days. Say you will not deal with any debt collectors and if they fail to issue, you will regard any further contact by the company or their agents as harassment. Send the letter by registered post or they will claim they never received it.

The reason you are doing this is to firstly close off their ability to add on additional charges (usually £50 for a letter sent by second class post). The court is likely to throw out any subsequent additional costs in the unlikely event you lose if they have failed to issue. Secondly you need to prove you are serious and working for a solicitors firm will certainly assist your case, so it would not hurt to send a copy by email from your work address.

In the unlikely event they should issue you have a number of defences. There may be one under the T&Cs and additionally there may be one under the photographic evidence which you cite as doubtful. Similarly there may be a defence if the signage is unclear. Furthermore your father as the registered keeper is not required by law to identify you and would not be liable to held by the court as party to the contract.

But by far the most likely strength in your position is their probable unwillingness to issue in the first place.

Most private parking collection activity relies on bluff and bluster. In the first instance they attempt to convey the impression that an offence has been committed by effectively "passing off" as though their "fine" were "official" in some way. Secondly they will attempt to suggest that they can escalate costs at will and thus gull you into paying. Thirdly they will attempt to persuade you that either they can either instruct bailiffs as a council could without a hearing or are guaranteed to succeed in court, which they are not.

The reality is that they will almost certainly not issue proceedings as this costs money, and in any event if they do, providing you file a written defence (which is free and which we can help you with) they will not answer the case and it will be struck out at the first stage.

We get several dozen similar cases to yours a day and we have only seen one case where proceedings were issued and this was struck out after a defence was filed. I see no reason why yours should be different.

Edited by m3rzs
to put in space and highlight from writer and reply

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Afternooon all,

I'm not sure if this is similar to anyone's case regarding UKPC but I have been notified by my company of a fine that appears to have been processed twice! It's for parking outside a marked bay. In mitigation there was building work going on and fences had been erected in a manner meaning the space to the left of my vehicle was not large enough for a car to park. I parked MARGINALLY over the line to avoid anyone thinking they could squueze in and possibly cause damage to my car. Now I have TWO notifications from UKPC of the offence(s?!)

I've read through this forum and like what I hear about them being [problematic]! The car park I was in was free. I didn't even know you could get fined for doing what I did! I am now holding two notices both for £90 if not paid within 14 days. Again no number to call or any other way of contacting the company. Am clearly keen to avoid paying ANYTHING to this company. Help/advice welcome!

Ignore all paperwork, don't reply to any of it.

im in the same boat as you at the moment waiting my third letter and still gonna ignore.

My advice is based on my opinion and my experience. It is not to be taken as legal advice as I am not legally qualified

If my advice has been helpful, please take a moment to click on the scales

on the bottom left hand side of my profile :p

Afternooon all,

I'm not sure if this is similar to anyone's case regarding UKPC but I have been notified by my company of a fine

(It's not a fine, it's an invoice)

that appears to have been processed twice! It's for parking outside a marked bay.

A marked bay or whatever has no legal standing on a private car park.

In mitigation there was building work going on and fences had been erected in a manner meaning the space to the left of my vehicle was not large enough for a car to park. I parked MARGINALLY over the line to avoid anyone thinking they could squueze in and possibly cause damage to my car. Now I have TWO notifications from UKPC of the offence(s?!)

You have committed NO OFFENCE

I've read through this forum and like what I hear about them being [problematic]! The car park I was in was free. I didn't even know you could get fined for doing what I did!

You are right, you can't

I am now holding two notices both for £90 if not paid within 14 days. Again no number to call or any other way of contacting the company.

That's good because I am advising you to ignore them anyway.

Do not contact them by telephone or letter at any time.

Am clearly keen to avoid paying ANYTHING to this company. Help/advice welcome!

Further to the above make sure your company does not pay these invoices either.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Hi all

Just thought I would post. I got at the end of last year. Sent one back saying i wasn't sure who was using the car. Ignored 3-4 letters and that has been the end of that so far, touch wood, fingers crossed.

So please don't pay these cretins and ignore them.

• Haha 1

Afternooon all,

I'm not sure if this is similar to anyone's case regarding UKPC but I have been notified by my company of a fine that appears to have been processed twice! It's for parking outside a marked bay. In mitigation there was building work going on and fences had been erected in a manner meaning the space to the left of my vehicle was not large enough for a car to park. I parked MARGINALLY over the line to avoid anyone thinking they could squueze in and possibly cause damage to my car. Now I have TWO notifications from UKPC of the offence(s?!)

I've read through this forum and like what I hear about them being [problematic]! The car park I was in was free. I didn't even know you could get fined for doing what I did! I am now holding two notices both for £90 if not paid within 14 days. Again no number to call or any other way of contacting the company. Am clearly keen to avoid paying ANYTHING to this company. Help/advice welcome!

It's not a fine. I could make my own parking fake parking 'ticket', find a car, buy the address for £2.50 from the DVLA and harass them with letters. It's that easy.

First question - who is your 'company'? Lease co or your employer?

Either way you need to make it clear that you will not be paying any such unenforceable invoice and are under no obligation to do so. Any business worthy of existence should have the nouce to realise this - the issue is that lease companies like to use these bits of toilet paper to try and add admin fees on top.

I too fell prey to this [problem]. I went shopping to my local Lidl, parked in the diabled bay with my blue badge on display and went into the shop. I was a little miffed that there were 3 other cars parked in the disabled section but put it down to modern day selfishness. When I came out with my shopping I found a sticker on my windscreen with a ticket stating that my blue badge had expired. I looked and indeed it had, but only by a short time. What did anger me is that the other 3 cars were still there without a badge at all and they had no ticket. It was not until I got home and read the forum that I realised that it was not an official council ticket. I can only assume that I was singled out to get one because I had a new expensive car and they probably thought that I would just send off a cheque without questioning it. (sadly I am not that rich though, it is a mobility car.)

I sent them a mail telling them that they need to contact the driver not the keeper as per the advice, but I also thought that it would be worth sending one to Lidl which I did. A senior employee of Lidl telephoned me the next day and was very apologetic. He explained that they have to have a company control the car park otherwise some people park there all day while they go to work and there are no spaces for shoppers. He shared my concern about what happened and told me that he would contact the company who issued the ticket and get it imediately cancelled.

He was very annoyed that they had done this and told me that they would review their dealings with this company. He also told me that he will send me a free shopping voucher :)

Worth a mail eh? :)

Many thanks for the advice.

Ok, my update so far...

Parked at Barbican Leisure Park and 'owner left site'

8 letters in 9 months from 3 companies, oops sorry, desks.

UKPC - 2 letters 2 weeks apart

...passed after 1 month to...

Rossendales Collect - 4 letters 2 weeks apart - 2 separate threats of doorstep visits - one phonecall

...passed after 3 months to...

ScotCall Debt Collecting Services - 2 letters 10 weeks apart - 1st letter threatening doorstep visit - 2nd letter with the most threatening statement yet "Unless immediate payment is made we will have no option but to pass this account back to our client with a recommendation that further action be taken"

oooh scared....:lol:

They are losing momentum here!

Mr Eee

nice collection you hve there. still waiting my 3rd. had 2 ukpc so far.....:D

My advice is based on my opinion and my experience. It is not to be taken as legal advice as I am not legally qualified

Hi everyone. Just got my 13th letter (2 weeks after the previous one)from UKPC via Rossendales and Credit Security Ltd. This one says:

"In good faith we agreed that the above debt could be settled by regular instalments. However, you have once again failed to meet the terms. IT DOES NOT SEEM UNCREASONABLE TO EXPECT YOU TO PAY FOR GOODS OR SERVICES WHICH YOU OBTAINED AND ON WHICH YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN EXTENDED CREDIT TERMS. Your default is increasing costs and we now trust that you will ACT IMMEDIATELY and send a remittance to reduce your arrears. Your failure to make payment voluntarily will leave us with no alternative other than to ENFORCE payment through the Courts".

1. I have made no agreement to settle by regular instalments.

2. I have obtained neither goods nor services from them, so I don't see

why they should UNREASONABLY expect payment for providing me

with nothing.

Does anyone know how many more letters I can expect?

Well Carlanon

you have a collection of letters to be proud of, they must be desprate for the cash..... just a thought how much do they want from you.... mines at 90 quid at the mo and only 2 letters so far. how long now since your first letter.

still ignore bro. had you ever contacted them.

There still spouting crap i see, trying use to scaremungering tactics.lol

The first letter from UKPC was dated 12 Jan 2009 and I have never responded to them. I think that the tone of this latest letter appears to be slightly less threatening than the previous ones so maybe they're coming to the end of their range of intimidating letters.

Well 8 to nine months now you can have a well deserved rest methinks.

well done to sticking to your guns.....

ps unless there going for the year.:D

Well Carlanon

13 letters at say 30p = £3.90 ish + DVLA Fee £2.50 = £6.40 plus timewasting.

nice.

I am grateful to all the above for your input and information Ahhhhh I feel a lot better now for reading your posts. illegitimi non carborundum ......Indeed! I have recently been through the same scenario at my local Tesco store when I needed the loo urgently when it was tipping down with rain, my reply was as good as couldnt care less and PAY UP. so glad for this invaluable info Thanks Again.

Edited by tompepper
spelling

i have followed the adivce from various forums and have ignored the letters i have gotten from ukpc.

however today i got a "letter of demand" from a company called "cartwright and wells" acting on behalf of ukpc.

they have basically threatened court proceedings within 7 days if i do not pay £135.

can some experts please confirm that i can continue to ignore this letter!

img0331kmd.jpg

img032bfr.jpg

so can i continue to ignore them?!?!

i

so can i continue to ignore them?!?!

Absolutely. Nothing has changed -you'll be aware you're due at least 14 letters demanding some form of payment. When you recieve more than this, you've ether got two Invoices, or they REALLY like you. :)

The flipside with all these Debt Advisory organisatins is a nice touch... t must be the new 'caring' side to [causing problems] we've not heard too much abut!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks