• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

halifax is the pits - **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi colour me happy thanks for your reply

yes it was a step account, just phoned customer services

and she said something on the experian credit report must of made them decline.

she advised me to get a credit report from them just to see if any one is using my details. I explained i was on a debt management plan, and she didnt seem to think that was the problem, im wondering if halifax have put something on there, as they were the last creditor to go on my debt management plan, and they havent acknowledged my notice of a debt management plan yet, because they keep sending me letters to say ive gone over my overdraft limit, and you will be charged £28.00, all the others have been covered by the dmp. and I didnt have a problem opening a barclays account! I wonder if its because the statement i sent had most of the bank charges on, which in someone elses eyes ie bank would think i cant manage my bank account properly, and as usual if the halifax hadnt of kicked me while i was down, hence the proportion of charges in one month i might of been alright. I wish the nat west could just tell me exactly what made them decide to decline, and I would of been able to shed some light on it.

I think its a case of "little Britain" "the computer says noooo" lol

What a nightmare for you, I applied online for mine (I have ccj's, defaults etc coming out of my ears! :eek:) and had no problem at all, I didn't even need to send any id, when I was applying I called them and asked what their criteria was and they told me there was none (except the bankruptcy) and according to my credit file they just carried out a generic id check rather than a credit check.

The Co-op basic account has been recommended a few times on here although I haven't got one myself :)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a nightmare for you, I applied online for mine (I have ccj's, defaults etc coming out of my ears! :eek:) and had no problem at all, I didn't even need to send any id, when I was applying I called them and asked what their criteria was and they told me there was none (except the bankruptcy) and according to my credit file they just carried out a generic id check rather than a credit check.

The Co-op basic account has been recommended a few times on here although I haven't got one myself :)

hi colour yes a horrendous nightmare have just phoned co-op and the application has been referred to the underwriters, should hear in a few days:(

She also advised to go into a branch I might do that actually, then they can see me face to face which looks something like this:mad:

will keep posted on my sarga for a basic "bog standard i want access to my money when i want it" account lol

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

thanks very much, ill keep all me chins up lol

just waiting for 19th now to file my claim, ill have to go to the courts in person as i dont have a debit card, but ohhh what a worthwhile trip lol

watch this space!!!!!!!!!!

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Hi BBB just wanted to offer words of support, been following your thread as the halifax are on my hit list too!!

Keep up the good work!!!!!

Delly

Halifax cc Won settled in full after moneyclaim.

MBNA WON SETTLED IN FULL....

IKEA Data Protection Act sent 12/7/06 prelim sent 11/08/2006 gone to moneyclaim Ikea said they,d pay up but have yet to see the money

Halifax current Won!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi BBB just wanted to offer words of support, been following your thread as the halifax are on my hit list too!!

Keep up the good work!!!!!

Delly

hi dellydaisy,

thank you for your words of support it is much appreciated,

and good luck with yours ;)

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

i posted the letter before action recorded delivery, on the 5th june and it is still showing as not been delivered. arghhhhh

but i sent a couple of other items recorded on the same day and they have been delivered, it just had to be the blooming halifax thats not showing grrrrrrrrr

im going to ring the post office.

Too many being sent to that address pmsl!!!

had to be the flaming halifax one didnt it

just my luck

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Do i send another letter before action if it is lost?

or do i just wait to see if it arrives???

any help from luvveryly peeps gratefully received thank youuuu

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record now but Recorded is a waste of time.

What has probably happened is that if they have several items of recorded mail the postman gets them to sign just 1 slip. so chances are they have *probably* got it, it's also probable that they won't reply anyway:rolleyes: they ignored both my prelim and lba (even though it was in the same envelope with a letter they did reply to ;).

If necessary *if* you were to get to court you can show you have made sufficient effort to resolve the matter, just keep your recorded delivery slip :)

Hope that helps.

• Confused 1

I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record now but Recorded is a waste of time.

What has probably happened is that if they have several items of recorded mail the postman gets them to sign just 1 slip. so chances are they have *probably* got it, it's also probable that they won't reply anyway:rolleyes: they ignored both my prelim and lba (even though it was in the same envelope with a letter they did reply to ;).

If necessary *if* you were to get to court you can show you have made sufficient effort to resolve the matter, just keep your recorded delivery slip :)

Hope that helps.

thanks colour me happy

ill just go with it now.

if the other letters i sent recorded have been delivered chances are that the halifax has as well. I will carry on as normal on the assumption that they have received it and file my claim on monday

thanks for your help

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

just spoke to a nice lady at the royal mail, she confirmed that its not been delivered yet which i knew anyway, i told her it was to the halifax bank and she said it may have been delivered with a load of bulk items, mmm wonder how that could be lololol. and that the company has a sheet which they just send to the royal mail confirming delivery of all the recorded items, so *probably

it has been delivered as said by colourme happy thanks,

and im going to continue my court proceedings on monday as then there time is up.

:mad:

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

just spoke to a nice lady at the royal mail, she confirmed that its not been delivered yet which i knew anyway, i told her it was to the halifax bank and she said it may have been delivered with a load of bulk items, mmm wonder how that could be lololol. and that the company has a sheet which they just send to the royal mail confirming delivery of all the recorded items, so *probably

it has been delivered as said by colourme happy thanks,

and im going to continue my court proceedings on monday as then there time is up.

:mad:

ive been having a rethink and wonder whether i should re send my letter before action, i would like to email them and ask them if they have received my letter before action. if they havent i would feel much better if I sent it again and used special delivery, its just so i feel confident that they have received it.

I know colour me happy that you said it is possible that they had a bulk delivery, but im just a little unsure about going ahead with the court action, and then the halifax turning around to say they never received my letter before action so therefore i havent given them the right amount of time to sort it out so to speak

any advice greatly appreciated,

i dont really want to ring them cause im a mumbling idiot when confronted lol

i would just like to correspond with them through email or mail.

help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

thank you

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

I know colour me happy that you said it is possible that they had a bulk delivery, but im just a little unsure about going ahead with the court action, and then the halifax turning around to say they never received my letter before action so therefore i havent given them the right amount of time to sort it out so to speak

If it did end up in court, you would only need to prove you posted the letter - there is no need to prove delivery.

Anyway, you've still allowed adequate time - 28 days from your prelim. That's more than enough time.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

thanks barracad

i feel better now thank you so much

roll on monday:D

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

thank you peeps

off to court i go!!

monday roll on

fingers crossed claiming over 3000 now they've added more charges and now i can claim interest

wish me luck

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

thank you peeps

off to court i go!!

monday roll on

fingers crossed claiming over 3000 now they've added more charges and now i can claim interest

wish me luck

You won't need any luck but I will wish you it anyway :D

I've just booked a trip to New York with the proceeds of my successful claim :D

thank you peeps

off to court i go!!

monday roll on

All the best blinky we filed today at the court

You won't need any luck but I will wish you it anyway :D

I've just booked a trip to New York with the proceeds of my successful claim :D

Awwww any room in your luggage for lickle old me colour .........have a good time........ heyy and when you are over there raise a glass or three to the bank :lol:

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

ok people

im not at all happy or confident to take them to court without knowing that they have in fact received the letter before action, ive been mulling this over for several days, and not being confident as nothing ever goes right for me, I can just see me going to court and the judge saying you didnt send them a letter before action, you have internet access so why didnt you check beforehand! I have rang the royal mail twice now and it still hasnt been delivered i check on their website everyday and it still hasnt been delivered

I would feel better if i contacted them to find out whether they have received it or not. but then i suppose that would give them more time as they would probably lie and say that they didnt receive it. if the recorded item is not signed for i have no concrete proof.

I would like to email them with the letter before action pasted on the actual email so there will be no attachments. and saying that their time runs out today.

does it state anywhere that proof of postage is proof of delivery

im sorry if you lovely people think i am being stupid, I just need to be confident enough that this wont go against me.

I know you have told me that it will be ok, im just not so sure.

signed from a very not confident blinky

(who nothing ever goes right for me):(

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Awwww Blinky,

If its any consolation I am still awaiting some answers to our DPA request(mother and me) which is way over the 40 days now, we also sent them a LBA letter and have heard nothing ........we filed for our bank account ( wife and me) last friday as we didnt want to get things muddled up we left the mother and me account for another day but if it was just that account I would have filed for it ...they didnt reply we have the proof of the email .......its up to them

But at the end of the day its your claim you have to do what you think is right

Best of luck

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

I can just see me going to court and the judge saying you didnt send them a letter before action, you have internet access so why didnt you check beforehand!

The judge would say no such thing - the Court would consider the letter has been delivered 2 days after posting. You don't even need proof of postage - just a copy of the letter in your file would be adequate proof for the courts. The fact that you have got proof of postage is more than enough - just go for it.

Chances are they probably have the letter anyway, you just have no way of proving it at the moment.

Oh, and as I said earlier - your prelim letter clearly stated they would have 2 lots of 14 days - a maximum of 28 days to comply before you take them to court, so you have explained exactly what would happen.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

hey blinky! have you had any joy with the parachute account yet?

i've been knocked back by the Natwest for the Step account - and am alarmed to read in this thread that the only reason they wouldn't give a person an account is bankruptcy - and i'm not, as far as i know! (though i am probably a good candidate..)

i'm going on to try with the Co-Op, but now am looking at the disctinct possibility of having no bank account, as I am at the stage where the Halifax have 'acknowledged' my claim.

how embarrassing!

ojustlooking try lloyds tsb they gave me an account better than the one i got with halifax after doing an appeal on the ist offer they gave me they upgraded and like so many others my credit is pretty bad. hope this helps and good luck with the claim

thank you for that Yvonne, its good to have another option, especially when recommended by someone who as you say is in the same boat..

hi ojustlooking

ive been knocked back by co op as well, but barclays were ok with me,

when my dmp is sorted i might go to lloyds, (i say that cause i owe them and all)

cant get me blooming credit file as now they need proof of address and all that &**&*& arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ONE DAY THINGS WILL GO RIGHT FOR ME

good luck with yours

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks