• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mattfromnotts vs. Halifax PLC

mattfromnotts
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - I paid £2,394 to get out of a 5-year fixed mortgage with Halifax last year. On top of this, they charged me an extra 'admin' fee and another £50 to post the deeds, which weren't sent by courier. I have researched Zootscoot's successful claim against Halifax on this site and have also tried Penalty Charges website, but I have a couple of questions you may be able to help with:

On the statements I have from Halifax breaking down the mortgage there are actually two loans - A & B - with A being the actual amount I borrowed. Is the B loan a MIG? Is this also unlawful? Can I try and claim this back as well as the exit and admin fees?

Can I add the standard 8% interest onto my total claim?

Should I start by asking them how they calculate the fees or just send them the claim letter outlining the fact that I know the charges to be illegal?

Thanks.

Mattfromnotts

As I want to get moving on this and have had no response, I assume nobody is sure whether Mortgage Indemnity Guarantees are recoverable. I have therefore sent the letter below, which is a slightly amended version of Zootscoot's standard to the Halifax.

Re: Request for repayment of charges

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXX

Dear Sirs

We are writing to ask you to refund the charges levied on the above mortgage account in respect of redemption fees to the sum of £2820.09, the sum of £201.09 representing the contractual rate of interest applied in respect of the said charges (please find enclosed schedule of charges, detailing dates, amounts and interest). We now understand that such fees are unlawful under Common Law, Statute and recent consumer Regulations.

In the case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract, as opposed to a charge which represents a penalty. This law was confirmed and upheld in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. A charge will be held to be a penalty, if the stipulated sum is extravagant and unconscionable in amount in comparison to the greatest loss that could conceivably be proved to have followed from the breach. A penalty clause is void in its entirety and unenforceable. Since the Bank of England base rate, which dropped to 3.5% shortly after taking out our loan, remaining at or under 4.50% for the majority of the 3 years, 3 months we held the loan, was substantially less than the interest rate Halifax PLC applied to the loan, this weakens even further any argument that Halifax PLC incurred a loss due to our breach of contract.

In addition, your charges represent an unfair term of contract, contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). Since we are consumers, our account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Regulations. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under Schedule 2 of the said Regulations, which provide an indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms that may be regarded as unfair. Paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 specifically includes terms that have the object of requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation. We would vigorously contend that this is the position regarding the fee of £2619.00, which you deemed fit to apply to our account.

Furthermore a fee levied requiring us to indemnify you against any commercial risk to yourself in offering us a reduced interest rate in order to attract our custom is also contrary to s.4 Unlawful Contracts Terms Act 1977. We are confident that a court is likely to consider this clause to be unreasonable within s.11 of the said Act, as a large commercial institution such as Halifax PLC is in a far better placed position than us as consumers to bear the burden of the vicissitudes of business.

We would like to bring your attention to the following statement by The Office of Fair Trading:

"A term in a mortgage agreement which requires the borrower to pay more for breaching the contract terms than actual costs and losses caused to the lender by the breach (or a genuine pre-estimate of that) is likely to be regarded as an unfair penalty and to be unenforceable both at common law and (in a consumer mortgage) under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. A redemption charge may be regarded as a penalty even if it is expressed as the price for exercising a right rather than a consequence of breaking the agreement."

We believe that the charges of £2619.00 that you have levied for early redemption and associated ‘sundry administration fees’, such as deeds despatch and account closure fee, far exceed any true cost to Halifax PLC as a result of our breach and any genuine pre-estimate you could conceivably reach. If you disagree, then kindly demonstrate this by providing a full breakdown of the costs incurred as a result of our breach of contract, in order to prove that your charges are a true reflection of your costs.

Your responsibilities

We would draw your attention to the terms of the contract, which you agreed to at the time that we took out the loan. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner that complies with UK law.

We consider your assertions that your charges are fair and reasonable to be deceptive and that the manner in which you have operated our account is unlawful. Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented us from asserting our rights until now.

Our targets to resolve this matter

We really hope that this matter can be resolved amicably and without the need for redress to the courts. Thus we are asking that you refund, in full, the charges levied unlawfully on our account. Failure to refund all the money unlawfully taken from us will result in us taking further action. We will give you 14 days from the date of receipt of this letter to reply, accepting, unconditionally, our request in principle and advising us of the date by which we will receive payment. If you do not respond within this time period, or the response is not positive, we shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. We believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as Halifax PLC with its dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from us and we shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline. Thus, take this letter as 28 days written notice of our intention to issue a court claim should you not comply with our request. I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with us about this matter and we are writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this, rather than merely responding with standard letters and leaflets.

Yours faithfully,

Hi Matt,

I have also started my claim for ERC (£2700).

In your prem letter, the claim you are making, is that for ERC, because as per your letter, what did you use for your shcedule of charges, the standard spreadsheet?

please help

Hi Mila

Yes - the charges broke down as follows:

ERC - £2394.00

Exit 'Administration' Fee - £175.00

Deeds despatch - £50 (this one actually annoyed me the most!)

Total - £2619.00

I then just applied the dates and amounts to the standard spreadsheet to arrive at the total I claimed.

Hope this helps.

You may want to look at Zoot's sticky re ERC claims though before going ahead.

Good luck!

Feel free to use the letter - it was a variation on Zoot's standard one anyway. Send it to the Trinity Rd. address but send it special delivery - that way you can track when and to whom it was delivered and start your count from then.

Matt;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After sending two reminder letters, I received a fob-off letter from Halifax, albeit a polite one, in which the now standard defence of "it's not a breach of contract" was traipsed out. Funnily enough they claimed not to have my first letter, even though I sent it next-day registered and got proof of signature from Royal Mail!

Is it worth sending a further letter to argue this point based on points in draft directions or just wait for the winds of change? No proceedings have been instigated at this point.

matt