• Tweets

• Thanks dx for your kind words. I plan to renew my season ticket and write a new begging letter as following, can I ask for any suggestion about it?   Dear Investigator/Prosecutor,   Thank you for your reply. I deeply regret my actions and the inconvenience they have caused.   I’m extremely remorseful for my crime. and regret it everyday. I often ask myself ‘’how can I do that thing just because I felt it is interesting. There are a lot of crimes in the world, but feeling it’s interesting is certainly not a reason to crime. I should not crime with any reason.’’ I think about these things every day, and I understand that I can’t blame anyone but myself.   I thanks to the staff who stopped me, as this is a valuable lesson in my life. I told myself that I should never ever repeat such a thing again, and never ever do anything which is possible to be in breach of any law. As a result, I carefully tap my oyster card every time before I enter the station now. I remind myself that I did a wrong thing before, and I should never let it happen again.   Although my monthly travel expenses do not warrant a season ticket, but I just renew my season ticket (please see the attachment). I understand that a crime cannot be truly compensated for, but purchasing a season ticket offers me a small measure of comfort, knowing that my actions caused a loss to the public interest.   I received an email which ask me to negotiate being class teacher in this summer (please see the attachment). I hope that I could teach the lovely students again, which may not be allowed with a criminal record. I would please ask that you would please provide me a single opportunity to settle all outstanding sums owed outside of court without the need for legal proceedings which would have a determinantal impact on my teaching career.   I sincerely apologise again for my crime. If you need anything further from me to help you please let me know.    Yours sincerely,
    • You did what??? You asked them to send you the documents that without them you had  a 100% ironclad win in Court. Why on earth would you do that? As it happens in this case, there is still enough mistakes in their PCNs and the NTH to have your case cancelled. Amd it may be that not sending those documents in the first place along with the ICO complaint and the letters from Alliance themselves which would confirm by the dates on the letters may be enough to cancel it anyway. I hope you have kept their letters as evidence? The chances are that Alliance will not actually take you to Court because of their errors but you never know.  You have made so much extra work for yourself in your WS if they decide to push their luck.though. Can you please post up their letter where they give the reason why I wasn't sent with the NTH.
    • I'm not sure that I fully agree with my site team colleague above.  My understanding is that there is nothing to stop you recording but it is strictly for your own personal use.   
    • I live in a student house, with 5 tenants, unihomes is our utilities provider, who we each have a direct debit set up with and have paid each bill every month. Two letters were sent in my name by BWLegal saying I had two outstanding payments due adding up to over £3500, I have tried to contact british gas (as that is apparently our houses provider) as well as Unihomes. Nothing has helped and BWlegal are pursuing legal action if these debts are not resolved by the 1st May. What do I do? I've called Bwlegal when i bring up that the debt isnt for me and for unihomes they hang up on me. so I am stressed and do not know what to do
    • cant do either if its not in a public place or on your land. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclays OD - 5 Defaulted Accounts on CRa file !! 4 from lowells !! for the sane debt!!

tifo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi tifo

There is always a chance of losing a case, even when your evidence/arguments seem watertight! The judicial system is very strange and success often depends more on HOW you present your arguments than WHAT they are!!

In civil claims, the court has to weigh up the evidence and decide which seems more likely. The 'balance of probabilities test' requires as little as a 51/49% split to find a winner!

So in a claim based mostly on facts the presentation of the arguments on those facts will be the decider.

At the very least it is arguable that the (several) defaults entered by Lowells had a contributory effect on your loss, although the court might try to apportion that loss.

At the end of the day, this will be a small claim where the usual cost risk is limited to paying the other side's basic expenses - lost pay, travel costs and court fees. Legal costs are not awarded in small claims unless the court considers that a party has behaved unreasonably. IMO, a modest claim for damages is not likely to fall within that category.

So it all depends on how far you are prepared to/need to go to feel that you have closure on this.

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think as far as possible.

i don't really like their attitude on this (which has changed from being initially helpful to unhelpful and calling me a liar now).

i feel if i can get some compensation from them, then this is deserved.

after all, if a company can default someone unlawfully for years and just change it when the person finds out and complains, with no apology from the company, then where is the justice in that?

i'm finding the 'customer' champions the ICO, FOS and others totally useless and it seems these DCAs and banks are above the law and investigation. I've lost any confidence in so called governmental bodies set up to fight for the customer, the person who votes the MPs into power.

believe it or not, the CSA have only 1 person who handles complaints against their members! I've then asked them how this person handles all the work they must be getting ....

lets see what develops. I feel i will have a strong case as Lowell Financial never had any legal right to default me and i want them to explain why they did this to a judge. So in the end, i will take them to court if i cannot resolve it through intermediaries. There is no defense for them.

What they gonna say? Portfolio entered 2 defaults and since we were managing it we thought we'd add a few as well for good measure? After all, we know no-ones gonna slap our wrists or take any action as we know we can get away with it, we don't need any docs or prove we own the debt, it's only a lowly customer, who cares what he thinks, we ask him to pay and he should roll over ..... so Mr Judge, whatcha gonna do? Watcha gonna do when we come to you?

so Mr Judge, whatcha gonna do? Watcha gonna do when we come to you?

:lol::lol::lol:

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

damn! .... looks like no court ....

Lowell have offered to write off the account (all under £200 of it) and write off £800 on a second account and completely remove all defaults. This is all after my complaint re the multiple defaults.

But ....

Since they haven't complied with my CCA s.78 requests anyway, are they only writing off accounts they know are unenforceable anyway? If this is the case, they are not really offering anything.

They have not offered any compensation for the multiple defaults and still state that they corrected the mistake when they became aware of it and it makes no difference if the default was in one company name or another as it is all Lowell and the effect on my record is the same.

So advice anyone? Shall i accept the write off and receive no actual money in my hand or shall i take it further?

depends on your own state of mind

id personally be tempted to accept that as long as

they removed ALL ENTRIES FROM YOUR CREDIT FILE, not just the default.

and provided written confirmation of everything that meets your needs.

in saying that and after reading your posts

i would be tempted to ask for compen to the tune of £250 for time and stress! lol

no no no the more sensible person in me says, just get them to get rid of all account, all debt, and all entries.

ooooooooo its a tough one!

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

Eeny meeny miney mo!

Yeah but! No but! Yeah but!

This is a toughie - you have achieved a lot but understandably still feel aggrieved.

If it was ME, I would still issue proceedings against them for damages and see if I could squeeze some compo out of them but you will have to prove your financial loss. (although having said that, I've remembered something on 'tbern's' thread about damages. I'll go look it up and get back to you.)

Regards, Pam

It is a tricky one as I guess only you know what you want from this.

If they are willing to write off the cash then perhaps they are willing to trade for removal of defaults, although of course the worth of those debts will be less than their face value, i.e. what they paid for them. What is worth more to you. Personally I would go to court and at least try and get something for your considerable trouble and fight for removal of any defaults where they cannot prove you owe anything. All the prior proceedings will come out in the wash and help your case surely?

Overall very disappointing result from the ICO.

Nice new avatar Pam, didn't recognise you!

Nice new avatar Pam, didn't recognise you!

Cheers! thought it was time for a face lift! :)

Hi

Have found the info. I was thinking of although it relates to awards of compensation made by the FOS. Maybe a complaint/claim to them might be worth considering.

Regards, Pam

technical notes - complaints that the interest rate on a savings account is too low

thanks all ...

as i said, they are prepared to write off the account i complained about, AND write off a second account i have with them which i haven't yet discussed with them (they defaulted me after s.78 non-compliance).

AND they are prepared to take off all default entries, not just amend but delete them.

its a toughie ... i'm getting the result of my s.78 non-compliance (maybe they know they can't collect on the account) BUT am not getting any compensation for the unlawful maintaining of defaults (which they cannot prove they had any legal right to).

I think in a way they're backing off with as little damage to themselves as they can (the purchase price of the two accounts) without giving me anything. I have them in a corner and its my risk to take it further.

But, the director did say he is still open to discussion and that my initial request for compensation (i asked for a LOT) is a bit too much (i agree).

I am aware that the FOS can award between £300 - £1000 per default for non-financial loss and i had 3 extra unlawful defaults. Since this complaint was made in Feb and the FOS will only look at issues after 6 April 2007 for DCAs, i'll need them to do something else for me to complain about (like update the defaults).

So, a write off of £1,000 and complete removal of all defaults but no compensation ..... worth it?

(i would say the above plus compensation as per FOS guidelines should seal it).

Blimey that's a tough one!!

But are they effectively removing defaults for accounts which they gambled a fiver on for a 'collection in full' and an 'admission of liability' and which they didn't legally own anyway?? If so, they could be getting off quite lightly.

You need to be 100% certain the real owner can't come back at you once Lowell are out of the picture, or Lowell might "sell" to another purchaser. They're probably plotting away right now!!!

It's a tricky one. Do you trust them?? You'll need to be sure it's dead and buried with no danger of those 'ghosts in the graveyard of computer accounts' coming back in a few months/years. Personally I would be inclined to press on and go to court if necessary. Sometimes it's the only way to get peace of mind. Once the big yin in the wig says it's dead - it's dead.

Whatever you decide - all the best.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

well ....

they are saying "total write off and complete default removal" which suggest they will do that and not sell it on. I'll get this in writing on headed paper.

but then i think they are getting off lightly if they pay no compensation as, you have rightly stated, they gambled a fiver on something which they may or may not collect and the damage has been done by the processing of defaults.

i may start quoting them the FOS guidelines on non-financial awards and case studies and see what i can get out of them.

the offer i have now came about by constantly calling the director and stating he is being 'unreasonable' by ignoring my complaint and emails/letters etc and pushing for a final answer. Yet he stated the offer is not final you are welcome to discuss it and i will listen, as 'you' have asked for far too much in compensation (i have but i won't tell yet).

guess they thought i'd go away if they ignored me ....

Ah, sorry my bad, I didn't realise they were going to remove the defaults and write off the debts. Well done you for the persistence so far for getting this far.

The extra FOS compensation would seal it, but I still think this is moral victory regardless anf the FOS is only potential. Do you want another step for the extra cash or for the principle?

A great case study nonetheless.

Do you want another step for the extra cash or for the principle?

For both really.

Compensation would mean i have been adequately redressed for their unlawful data processing and also the time i have spent in chasing them for the past two months. Add to this the distress and inconvenience they have caused and i think i have just right for asking for redress.

So, i want the cash for the principle and for the inconvenience and distress.

Makes sense?

if you can prove they put defaults on file etc illegally, then i would be tempted to go for compensation, and the costs of going to court if need be.

they are on the run, and know it,

whatever you asked for in Compen that was too high, take a third off, see what they say.

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

So, i want the cash for the principle and for the inconvenience and distress.

Makes sense?

Absolutely :)

At this stage it is still a negotiation as I see it, they are going to try and offer you the lowest they think you'll accept as you get some benefit... :)

had a call from a 'debt advisor' at my local Council. TS had passed him my details re my complaint to them as it was a 'debt' issue. After the chat told him to pass it back to TS and tell them to deal with the complaint.

basically he advised me to accept the Lowell offer as they could have sent it back to the bank. I told him no because the bank has already 'charged off' the account courtesy of the taxpayer. He replied they can send it back as the debtor (me) may have had mental/physical problems and did not clearly understand what the bank had done or they had not explained it clearly enough. He totally failed to understand the charged off issue and said maybe i should tell the Inland Revenue!

Why the f**k are these guys being paid to advise us?

Its advisors like this who messed some of my accounts a few years ago as he did not advice me properly and used to ask 'what shall i say to them?' and i said 'well, you're the advisor' .... he always accepted what the DCA said and never fought for me.

absolutely priceless!!! :eek::rolleyes:

Do you mind if I spread this gem of a response around a bit tifo? I'm sure it will bring so much comfort and reassurance to many others on the forum who are looking to 'official' bodies for help and advice!!! :rolleyes::confused::(

Regards, Pam

of course Pam,

i'm probably more qualified to give debt advice than these guys now ...

one of them also failed to understand the OFT debt guidelines and used to ask me 'they are asking for £40 a month or else, so what shall i say?'. This was when i was paying nominal payments of between £1 - £5 to everyone else. Of course, i was not aware of all that i am now but you expect these advisors to be.

you just couldnt make this stuff up if you had a team or writers!

Lowell still insistent that no compensation will be paid unless i prove that i have suffered any financial loss, distress or inconvenience, or prove that my CRA points have suffered as a result of their defaults (i have no idea to see how many points i have or how many come off when a default is removed).

So ..... ?

I am no longer welcome on CAG

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

plus your financial loss is getting turned down for credit over the years because of 2 defaults on your file :-D