• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Big Claim aginst RBOS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Photoman Just had chance to read your post completely. Concur with legal argument.

Had to laugh at request for sneaky look and PM! :D Curisosity killed the cat you know. :p Only joking! Would love to know what it is too. :) But think Sparkie should keep that very very private until the right time.

Photoman or anyone really.

Where are you getting your info re Acts, Statues etc? Obviously, there must be people who work in the legal area and have everyday access to the reading material. But are there others here that are getting the material from other sources like the internet or library or something?

Used to have access but now not working there I find it really frustrating! Have tried to access case law etc for my daughter's employment claim too, but b*****ed if I can find anything much on the net and local libraries don't have that kind of material.

Sorry for jumping into your thread with this question Sparkie.

Photoman or anyone really.

Where are you getting your info re Acts, Statues etc? Obviously, there must be people who work in the legal area and have everyday access to the reading material. But are there others here that are getting the material from other sources like the internet or library or something?

Used to have access but now not working there I find it really frustrating! Have tried to access case law etc for my daughter's employment claim too, but b*****ed if I can find anything much on the net and local libraries don't have that kind of material.

Sorry for jumping into your thread with this question Sparkie.

Try this a-z index, lots of links to acts, statutes etc.

If there is anything specific you are looking for try posting a question on your own thread.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Many thanks Photoman-will have good read.

Have put question on own thread.

Hence why I apologised to Sparkie. But also wanted to do my own investigation into my post to him earlier. Hate giving half advice or suggestions without being able to back it up if poss.

Buggedlady if you are looking for case law on the internet try

British and Irish Legal Information Institute

and then put in the keywords you are looking for in the white row search box

near the top of the page. Don't know what you are looking for but examples

of keywords might be "unfair dismissal" "unemployment Tribunals" "redundancy"

or amalgamate two or three different sets of keywords.

You could also click on advanced search to perhaps refine what you are after.

• Haha 1

near the airport it is.......

it was a smallholding (few cows, couple of sheep, a few more chickens complete with a shed, a few acres and some trees)...... but they knocked it all down and in it's place is what best can be described as a town...complete with a high street, starbucks, "high street" banks (RBS only!!), hairdressers, shops, and grocers.......

at least you know have an inclination as to where some of your charges have gone: Uncle Tommy's next vente size Latte!!! ;-)

Sorry Atlantic, but the site of RBS's global HQ at Gogarburn was formerly a Hospital and Residence for the Mentally Handicapped which closed in 1999 - see link

Gogarburn Hospital

no cracks about idiots still being there please.:-)

The Bank's Customer Relations Unit is situated at Edinburgh Park, a giant business area in west Edinburgh but a mile or two from Gogarburn.

To Sparkie I'll just say keep hanging in there - I've been battling with RBS since August last year over a "missold" loan and I think I'm winning, they have offered to reduce the sum I still owe them but I want the lot written off as I have paid back the capital sum - I am now, since I came across CAG, requesting £2500 worth of penalty charges be reimbursed to me, so far they have offered £1730 which I have accepted as partial repayment, altho have not received it yet - I will be taking my case to the FOS if I don't hear from the Bank by Tuesday.

Good luck with your case - I don't know if the Bank and Cobblers are being obstructive or just sheer incompetent but from reading your thread I suspect a bit of both.

“It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business.”

Sorry for the misinformation Yanni....... you've got your facts right....

I only used to drive past Gogarburn on the way westwards towards Bathgate and Glasgow, as I used to live in southside, Edinburgh. I also used to contract for them..... hence my familiarity with them.

Sorry for the misinformation Yanni....... you've got your facts right....

I only used to drive past Gogarburn on the way westwards towards Bathgate and Glasgow, as I used to live in southside, Edinburgh. I also used to contract for them..... hence my familiarity with them.

No worries.

It's just that as a building labourer at the time, in the mid 1970s, I worked at Gogarburn digging the tracks for the relaying of the electrical cables which were replacing the original lead amoured cables of the 1920s and 30s, we all made a few bob in "recyling" the old cables at Dalton's scrapyard just round the corner, so I knew the old hospital quite well.

Quite a jolly place with many of the residents happy in their own little joyful world. There was an old guy, nae teeth and carried an old football with him everywhere. Would allow folks a kickabout for a while then move on. Always asking for old lemonade bottles to take to the hospital shop to trade in for sweets.

See map - RBS HQ is the purple bit marked Gogar, the red circle is the RBS CRU

Multimap - Maps

“It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business.”

hi yanni.....

I have quite a few friends who do your trade down here in London and they're mostly from west coast and fife....... i think doing what you do you virtually get to "know" buildings inside out.... plus learn a valuable set of skills to boot...

I noticed you are a "true" scot from what you put as your location....all in gaelic!!! ;):)

i don't want to criticise RBS too much, as they did pay up on time for me and with not too many hassles, .......... but I think many people would probably prefer to deal with the former residents of gogarburn (who when you think of it are/ were happy, friendly, outgoing, and relaxed in their dealings with others) rather than the current ones (who....just taking a quick look at Sparkies thread are enough to make the hairs on back of nexk stand on end!!) :D

Ok the mysterious £167.00 had been credited to the account which RBOS have yet to confirm who, where, and what it is. However the £35.00 seems to have dissapeared off the face of the earth.

The balance was 346.45, less 167.00 = 179.45 less interest £5.95, less charge £24.00 = £209.40. This breakdown should be on the statement somewhere if it reads the balance was £209.40 at 10 Jan 2001.

So where is the £35.00? do you agree to depositing this £35.00?

Where they got the other figures from that show on the credit file....god only knows!

back to tapping on the calculator i think!

Hi Sparkie

Just read your post. You ask lots of questions. The answer to all of these is sooooo transparent! RBOS got it wrong- darn wrong. They have mucked up big big time and are wriggling like worms. The expression digging bigger hole for themselves comes to mind and give them enough rope they'll hang themselves!

Let's be honest, it could have started with a simple clerical error but has escalated beyond anything quickly rectified, is their fault, has cost you in money, time and stress and they are just making things 1,000 times worse.

Take my case all those years ago! How the hell did they manage to issue two accounts with the same account number,then threaten me andnot be prepared to accept they'd made an error or even look into it when I practically pleaded with them!?!?!?!

If I had been older, had an overdraft, not been soooooo exact in my account keeping (lets be honest when we are young something like a new bank account is all about growing up and you are proud and take good care of it!). It could've gone unnoticed for some time.

Plus, that bank was Nat West, Smith's Office in the City of London, a very prestige branch in those days!

I have not come accross many banks who don't have an arrogant, can't be bothered, tough luck we are in the right no matter what you say attitude. Less of course you have a very large amount of money then they snivel up your bottom in a sickening sycophantic manner!

The banks in general have been very clever. They seem to make us forget WE bank with them! It's OUR money and without it they wouldn't have the power they try to wield. They are supposed to be providing US with a service. Even loans etc-they are not helping us! They are earning money from that! It really is time for a turn of tide.

I realise in truth your questions are there to try to obtain precise answers too. But as it stands they just go to prove RBOS have done some very wrong things! I for one hope you get to the bottom of it-for your sake and justice, but also to see them have to eat humble pie!

yaffsimone1

Yep thats it and I did pay that £35:00 in, and you are also right where they get £195:57 from is a kind of " David Blaine" trick.

And thanks for your thoughts bugged lady.

sparkie

Yaff-it doesn't add up any way, with calculator, abacus or your fingers and toes! It is wrong! Either RBOS needs a straight course in arithmetic or they are trying to 'blind with science' :rolleyes:. Seriously, you get any man with a junior level of understanding of addition and subtraction and a reasonable dose of logic and common sense, he'd either laugh or cry at those figures. He most surely wouldn't accept them as they stand!

Sparkie

I have to confess I haven't read your whole thread yet, not lazy just haven't had time, so please forgive me if I've missed some salient points or developments since around page 12.

However, in light of your recent posts, it appears RBOS are just giving you the run around and not coming back with anything truthful or viable that you can actually work with.

I don't know if this is possible or even if it would be cost prohibitive. But is there a chance that you could apply to the court to get an independant auditor/accountant into the bank (a) to investigate and try to find your original statements as far back as they really go and (b) to do their own accounting of credit's and debit's? This whole situation is ridiculous as it stands.

Read an article the other evening where a couple who banked with CitiBank had large cash withdrawals from their account using an ATM card, supposedly their card. They say they didn't weren't even in the country at the time, have solicitor on their case and they employed bods from Cambridge to investigate the possibility of someone being able to get money from their a/c and the safety of pin numbers. Cambridge findings were so bad for the bank that there has been a gagging order on their findings!

Yeah sounds about right!:rolleyes:

Had got to bit where you called the police in but didn't know if they had finished their investigation or what had happened re that.

I should really check my credit file, but it's one of those things you know you should do and never get around to unless, like you, you suddenly find there might just be a problem there!

Also, know what you mean when your say you read things through and suddenly all these different things keep popping up! Think we all do that to a degree, look for the salient info and miss other just as important things first time round.

Probably teaching you to suck eggs here but every time you find yet another discrepency log it down (highlight it) and put reasoning and reference notes (where it tallies up with other bits) together with it. Not saying the police would not do their job properly but it is all too easy to have the information sitting in front of you and not realise the merit or implications of it without referring it to other info to marry the two and get the real picture.

Lets be totally honest here. This is probably the kind of error at the bank where your problems all stem from (someone typed the wrong a/c or ref in and no one checked and from there the problem just escalated). Initially, it was probably imcompetence and negligence. However, their very arrogance that they can't possible be wrong does them no favours. Plus the old adage that the right hand never knows what the left hand is doing! Now, they seem to be trying to cover their tracks or hoping by appearing to be helpful or very sorry they can't help that you will give up and go away. Problem is, and its a problem for them and good news for you really, is the more they try to cover up or explain the situation away the more they are digging themselves in the dirt! Then it does really get serious for them. Whether at the end of the day politics etc will come into it and it will be whitewashed to a certain extent remains to be seen. Unfortunately, they do wield a lot of clout and to bring someone like that down completely would probably do 'certain powers' no favours. So, whilst I believe you will win your case and get a decent return for your efforts and compensation, don't be surprised if it's eventually put down to an unfortunate catalogue of errors, bad accounting, incompetence and neglect but that the Judge rules that it was unintentional and not done out of malice or for pecuniary interest. That for me would leave a bad taste in my mouth! Especially if I had been put through what you have.

If only the bank had played fair with you, held their hands up and said okay we have made an error, we are so very sorry here have your charges back and a nice sum in compensation as a gesture of good will and a major apology for our gross errors and we will set about putting right our errors! Wouldn't that be wonderful and wouldn't life be so much easier if people could do that? But the banks are so arrogant! So I say to you 'bring it on mate', give it to them big time. They deserve everything they get! Their attitude and manner of approach to dealing with problems serves to afford them absolutely no sympathy whatsoever.

Sorry! :o I really hate banks with a passion! Also hate arrogance. Have had and heard too many horror stories re banks in my time.

I wouldn't mind but I'm sensible, level headed person on the whole and would never be negligent or get myself into debt. Yet they can do it so easily for you.

Hope you won't think this is hogging your thread. But a few yrs ago my salary date changed, I did have a loan with the bank at the time and I asked if I could change its payment date so that it would fall in line with new salary date. Oh they did that okay! They just put another DD in place and left the other one in place too! So I was paying double each mth! Major charges went on my a/c, they told me it was my incompetence for not managing my money (!?!?!?!?) they had to do it that way because of the legal requirements of the loan and I should've been aware of it! Complained to FOS, took mths to sort, FOS came down on my side, but my a/c was in serious state till then as a direct result. Got compensation, so a/c was okay again-in fact very healthy! But internal credit scoring with the bank went down from 9 on their scale of 1-10 to 3, which apparently is very bad. I complained and said this was totally unfair due to the fact it was their fault and the FOS agreed. They wouldn't do anything about it though and I ended up having no chq bk or debit card for nearly a year until I had brought my credit score up with them again to allow 'their policy/guide lines' to allow me to have one. So I won but I was still penalised for some time as a result. Suppose I could've gone back to FOS but was so tired of it all by then just didn't have the energy. Stopped me spending so much though! So had lots more money over and paid their ruddy loan back early so they lost out on their interest! :p Small victory I know but made me feel better! :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks