Splitit / Vendor payment issue

aj84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 122 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I purchased an item just over a year ago from an online site that had the option of using Split-it for paying.  Silly me, while I did not need to use it, I just found it convenient to use it especially given the smaller amounts leaving disposable cash for something else.

For those that do not use know how it works, quite simply, purchase an item for say £400, and pay £33.33 a month for 12 months with no credit searches etc.  Similar to what Amazon do/did before Barclays instalments started to take over.

Long story short, I noticed the monthly payments appearing on my pending transactions every month on my Amex card and thought nothing of it.  Fast forward almost 12 months, turns out all but 2 of these pending payments were actually taken - the rest were unbeknown to me, not taken.

They then started to take 2 payments a month past the date of when the instalment plan finished which is when I queried it - note, the online portal still to date states completed.  This is when I contacted them to be told due to a technical issue, they did not actually take any payments for almost 11 months and they would now start taking 2 a month.  This was followed by a more generic/global email stating exactly that.

This was indeed the case for 2-ish months until today when I noticed I have 6 pending payments which I think equates to the remaining balance - again online portal still says completed and no open plans.

1. Is what they are doing right?  There seems to be no accountability on both the split-it end nor the vendor of the product.

2. Could I just block these pending payments with Amex and not pay it/create my own plan?  While I could just pay it off, I feel cheated - I went for a 12 month instalment plan for a reason and that was not to then go onto a 6 month instalment plan with double the amount a year later.  Not to mention, others may not be able to pay !

3. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

This them ?

WWW.SPLITIT.COM

Buy Now Pay Later in installments. Offer customers up to 24 months to pay using their own credit card, no hidden fees or added interest.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Okay I see there is a on line chat option on the link have you asked why this error occurred ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Yes - at the time, they were being quite closed-off and not giving much detail apart from "you have not paid" - when actually it was more "we did not collect"

Tried for almost 2 days before telling Amex to reverse the charges x2 however I cancelled the case/reversal when they finally responded. It was only when I escalated to management did I get a bit more detail however

here is the official email received:

We are writing on behalf of [vendor] to let you know that, unfortunately, a technical issue occurred on your payment plan which caused one or more of your monthly instalment payments to be missed.  This meant that, whilst payments showed on our end and on your instalment plan in the shopper portal; they were never actually processed and will not be showing on your credit card account. 

Please check your credit card account on or around your scheduled instalment date(s), and you should see that these payments do not appear. You can check the due dates in the Splitit Shopper Portal here

We are intending to process any missed payments over the next few days. If you have missed multiple payments we will only process 2 missed payments at any one time and will email you again before any more missed payments will be processed.

If the missing payment(s) is/are showing on your credit card statement on or around your instalment dates please reply with a screenshot/statement from your credit card that shows this, and we will be happy to investigate further.

Thank you for your understanding and we are sorry for any inconvenience.

So they will not take more than 2 at a time ? Have you raised it with the retailer ?

2 Payments a month was my understanding but this month I can see 6 pending payments.

Yup contacted the retailer who are as useless. Initially a blame game : Retailer > Splitit and Splitit>retailer.
It was going meant to get escalated the first time too but I never heard back from them and subsequent emails were ignored.  Calls usually got through to the wrong team or if right, you would start at the beginning only to be then told it is going to management...and of course nothing back.

Try dropping the following an email of your discontent and advise them they are in breach of your agreement and you shouldn't have to suffer distress due to their inefficiency to abide by their agreement.

Nandan Sheth as CEO

Have done this now following yet another frustrating live chat who seemed to initially even say we can't find an open plan....well yes duh!

So far nandan.sheth @ and nandansheth @ have both failed

nandan @ seems to have gone through and I CCd the support address too but they've been thus far unresponsive.

In the meantime, I've raised a dispute with Amex who have all the emails/evidence now for it and have put a merchant block.  Thankfully splitit is not a credit provider so no impact to credit searches etc.

One point they made was if your card was not longer available (bearing in mind the linked card was removed from Splitit by myself so how they're still taking payments is beyond me), I could make manual payments - Maybe I should do this now that the merchant is blocked ...say £5 a month?

Really infuriates me when companies act like this - I'm not even saying no to paying even if they did make a monumental mistake for almost a year but to then once again breach their own apology email.... 

• 4 weeks later...

To close this off - they refused to budge.

Any combination of email address bar one bounced back as far as Nandan Sheth is concerned and despite requesting multiple times for someone senior, it was ignored.

They have however stated by their recent action of essentially charged all remaining payments in one hit, there is no outstanding payments left.

Feel extremely cheated but partly my mistake in not picking up earlier so lesson learnt - One thing is for sure, Split it will not be used again in this household but it has made me think twice about whether we would use Oral B products again who was the company we bought the products from and maybe revert back to Philips when the 3 brushes die.

Thanks again for your help -