Starting Claim, Need advice on Data Protection Letter?

Pukulan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Merry Christmas, everyone.

I’m new here, this is my first post.

I need some advice with the first stage in the whole process.

I recently had to visit my bank, HSBC, in order to cancel my loan insurance that I had taken out, I never really felt comfortable with the insurance but the bank employee really push that I should take one out, I trusted her, what a mistake!

Anyway, I also asked her to send me 6 years of bank statements which include every charge or fee that I had been charged.

I didn’t leave until I felt that she understood what I was asking for as she seemed to hurry up my request, I spent several minutes going over the request so that it was clear, something I should not have to go through really, a request is an request, she should understand it the first time.

I returned to my branch a few days later, she said it was in the post.

I received it, only to discover that it was not the 6 years statements but 6 years Tax Certificate, just showing what interest has been credited to my account over that period!

It seems that they are trying not to give me the information I requested?

Time wasters.

I went to my bank but the same lady wasn’t there, I spoke to some else, I think the bank manager, who tried to appear nice and friendly but kind of covered up the whole issue, I just accepted his explanation and left, as I was expecting this kind of evasion from them.

So now I will send the Data Protection Letter, (I just thought it might be quicker to request it since I was at my branch that day).

What I would like to know is:-

• How should I send the £10 fee, is it normally by cheque? Only I don’t have a cheque book? Is there another way?
  • Should I list both my Current Account and Credit Card Account details on the same letter, or send a separate letter for each?
  • Does the bank usually send an acknowledgement of my request letter before sending the data or do they (hopefully) just send the data?

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions, I just want to make absolutely sure before going ahead with things, I aim to claim back all of my money from these thieving b…..!, go to court if I have to, so I don’t want to make any mistakes.

Thank you for your help.

Guest ian cognito

You can send the payment by postal order, make sure it is crossed and made out to the bank, get proof of posting or send it recorded delivery.

The request covers all info they hold on you, not qaccount related so you can include all account numbers.

Some banks acknowledge your request, it depends and they have 40 days to send the info and will probably use most of them.

While you are waiting for your statements have a good read of the FAQs and forums for your bank.

Good luck

Thanks for your quick response janquinny, it helped a lot.

I did read the FAQs but will now have a good read of the forum, just wanted to crack on and get things started.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

I will get the ball rolling tomorrow and shall post back the relevant

developments.

I look forward to a reunion, with my hard earned money once again!

I have just read the post and I have heard a lot of things so I guess I will have to elaborate, as far as I am aware there is no such things a simply a list of charges on the account for the last 6 years, there are certificates of interest credited and debited but no such thing as a certificate of charges so to speak. I have heard a few people in my time ask for a list of charges incurred over the last 6 years to which I have had to politely say that we can only order copy statements. My gut feeling is that HSBC member of staff misunderstood totally.

Guest ian cognito

Natty, HSBC do supply details of charges seperately, they are the only bank I know that does this, with each statement you get a seperate 'charges' statement, you can also list charges only on their internet banking site, but only for a set period, which I think is 6 months.

Having said that, their response to my sons SAR is just a mound of statements, obviously they don't want to make life too easy!

Hello natweststaffmember,

I appreciate your post, although I can’t help wondering why you, a bank employee would want to help out, disgruntled customers, like myself?

Maybe it’s my experience with banks over the years, which on the whole has not been good at the best of times

However there was no room for misunderstanding between the member of staff and myself.

I asked her for a list of, in goings, out goings and charges to my account over the past 6 years.

I had her repeat my request back to me, as to be sure.

I guessed that some how there would be some kind of misunderstanding, that’s my expectations of banks.

But besides that, the info that I was sent, has no info of my transactions, no in goings, out goings or balance displayed, nothing? What use is that to me?

So either.. I’m speculating here, the staff member made the wrong request or the department that sent the info make a mistake, or maybe it was deliberate?

I’ll never know.

But thank you, for your concern and taking your time to write here.

Pukalan- I work for NW, I thought it was a mistake from my reading, clearly it was and should not have been made.

Why I am here as a Bank Worker? I could give you many many reasons but for clarifcation on my position here is very brief reasons, lied to, bank workers view on here at that time, to help, because I can and to clarify process from the inside if I can and it helps.

Good Luck with claim and hope you have had a Good Christmas Day