Speed limit displayed in error. Should I appeal the fine?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just been given a £100 fine and 3 points for going 60mph on the M3 in Surrey at 5.27am.

There had been overnight roadworks which had been cleared away long ago with no sign of any vehicles or workmen and all four lanes fully open.

Overhead signs were still showing 3 lanes closed and a 50mph limit.  

I slowed down to that speed before increasing to 60mph when I realised there was no sign of the works and the motorway was completely clear.

it seems really harsh to be fined for going 60mph on a fully open 4 lane motorway at 5 in the morning with hardly any traffic. Should I risk taking this to the Magistrate’s Court?

could it poss have been that the repairs that had been done required the limit to remain for a period to time after everything was cleared away whilst tarmac concrete or epoxy etc set without being hit harder by high speed or lack of grip or let the debris naturally disperse preventing skidding.

so the was nothing there no cones signs other than the o/h limit?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The cones from the works had been placed off the motorway at the side of the road. All four lanes were fully open, so I don’t think anything was drying or hardening on the carriageway. There were no maintenance vehicles or workmen anywhere to be seen.

awaiting the truck with the men and loading machine with the compression impact barrier at the back to collect them using the hard shoulder, thus a danger .

the roadworks were still ongoing then..

not a chance.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You have no idea why the limit was still in place. Could have been for any one of a number of reasons. National Highways will only remove the lower limit when the carriageway has been declared clear by the workforce, and it obviously hadn't been. The logical conclusion to your argument would be that it is for drivers to decide whether or not a lower limit is justified and ignore it if they see fit. Obviously that can't happen.

Take this to court and you will be convicted and sentenced in accordance with the usual guidelines. These suggest a fine of half a week's net income, a "Victim Surcharge" of 40% of the fine and the prosecution will ask for a contribution towards their costs, the usual amount being £620. If your income is £500 per week it will cost you just shy of £1k.

One thing which puzzles me is that speed (60mph in a 50mph limit) would normally qualify for a speed awareness course. Have you done one in the last three years?

• Like 1

To put this in a bit of context, I was travelling southbound from Heathrow when I was caught by the camera. On the way up at 4.30am the signs were saying that the northbound motorway was closed between junctions 4A and 3. It wasn’t - it was fully open. The signs were wrong.

Anyway, your comments have been helpful and I will just suck it up. Thanks

might not be over...

answer this:

5 hours ago, Man in the middle said:

One thing which puzzles me is that speed (60mph in a 50mph limit) would normally qualify for a speed awareness course. Have you done one in the last three years?

and they

thats good  news

dx

and they