Not sure how to proceed after hit and run accident in private car park.

abc246
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 11/08/2023 at 15:22, abc246 said:

... I also made the reluctant decision to notify my insurance company. They said they've requested the footage from the security company and the police, but also said it may be several weeks before they get anything, ...

Can somebody explain to me why GDPR prevents the OP from knowing the vehicle registration number, but permits his insurer to know it?

Why is the OP's insurance company in a more privileged position vis a vis GDPR then he is himself?  Surely the insurance company is simply representing their customer and have no better legal standing than he does.

Or is the correct position that the police, the CCTV company and even the ICO (according to what the OP tells us) are all wrong?

I find it a rather bizarre notion that if this damage had occurred in front of an eye-witness there would be nothing to prevent them passing the vehicle reg no. on to the OP, but because it has only been captured on CCTV it's not allowed.  Even stranger when you consider most reg nos. are on public display 24/7.

The data protection argument about the OP not being featured in the CCTV recordings is being misapplied. The DPA is about protecting peoples rights as to how their data is handled etc. Well the OP's cars number plate is shown in the video and this is directly linked to personal data.

And for Police to investigate and Insurance companies to complete their lawful duties, the argument about the OP not being featured in the videos, is in my opinion DPA not being applied correctly. They have direct interest in the CCTV recordings.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi everyone, hope you're all well

Just a quick update, letters posted so just waiting on that now, however direct line have finally got the footage and everything they need to proceed the claim, they're looking to claim everything back and the man I spoke to said they don't have a leg to stand on to be honest.

He also told me the make and model of the car that hit me, minus the reg, but I am now 99% sure I know which car it is. How should I proceed? Should I leave a letter on the dashboard, e.g. a letter of intent? Or should I get the details of the driver from DVLA, as I'm pretty sure they'll give them to me if I make a request and say they fled the scene of an accident, which is true

Thanks again all!

Send your insurance an SAR

26 minutes ago, abc246 said:

... How should I proceed? Should I leave a letter on the dashboard, e.g. a letter of intent? Or should I get the details of the driver from DVLA, as I'm pretty sure they'll give them to me if I make a request and say they fled the scene of an accident, which is true...

Proceed with what?  If it's in the hands of Direct Line - which I presume is your insurance company - and they are dealing with it, why would you feel the need to leave a note on the car or to interfere in any other way?

Leave it to your insurer.  That's what you pay them for.  All you need to do is to cooperate with them.

47 minutes ago, Nicky Boy said:

Is there damage visible on the car in question?

(Just to be sure of that last 1%)

Yes there is, I was already suspicious of that car now I know for sure 

a lot of cars have some damage on them in the car park hence the 99% and not 100

Edited by abc246
Clarity

I’ll send them an sar now.

In terms of proceeding, what I meant was if the police don’t plan on pursuing this as a criminal act, I would very much want to take matters in my own hands and pursue justice that way, maybe via a small claims or county court route

You may disagree with me or say I don’t have a case etc, but I don’t have a large income, and this has caused me untold levels of anxiety and stress, and I don’t think people like this person should get away with just a slightly higher premium and maybe some no claims years knocked off and that’s it. 

Take photos 

• Like 2