Child tax credit help HMRC

Reidash
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm a single mother receiving child tax credits.

I've been living with my parents but my dad recently passed away so my mum is now renting a 1 bedroom flat for a few months so I'm staying with a male friend until mum finds a house to buy for us again.

I'll have to make my address change to HMRC but my friends house is rented and HMRC may think we are a couple.

Would I still be allowed child tax credits if living with a male friend in a rented house?

I won't be paying rent,

I'm worried HMRC will have an issue with possible subletting and investigate and cause issues, especially if they think we are a couple.

Thank you for any advice. 

You just need to report any changes to ensure your claim remains on a correct basis. So if this is purely an address change, then that is the only change you need to report.  The issue of living with someone else and not paying any rent, is not relevant to HMRC.  But of course, if you formed a relationship with the friend and could be considered as living together as a couple that would be different, which would lead to you making  a report to HMRC.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread