Self employed course paid for with easybirthing but want refund

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello lovely consumer action group team, 

This is a bit of a unique one but I am at a loss as to what to do so thought I'd come on here and see what you all think 

(@bankfodder I'm hoping you'll see this!) 

I am self employed but I haven't worked since having my 2 babies; 1st at the start of 1st lockdown, and 2nd born 18 months later, last year.

In November 2020, I signed up and paid to do an online training course in hypnobirthing. I paid the full fee upfront. I was early pregnant with my 2nd and had hoped that I would be able to use the skills and techniques I'd learn on the course for my 2nd birth, after a very horrendous and traumatic first birth. And then be able to also be qualified to then do hypnobirthing with clients thereafter. 

In early 2021 I made a very brief start to the online course material, however due to then another challenging pregnancy, plus a 1 year old to look after, I never again found the time to complete the course before baby was born as I had hoped to. 

I then had another difficult and traumatic birth, and now I simply do not want to even think about anything to do with birth as I simply can't face it. 

I had waited to see if this might fade and my desire/inclination for the course would return however it is sadly not the case. 

I have been in touch with the course provider and explained my situation and they have denied me a refund, I proposed perhaps a refund less 20% for example (a percentage for the amount of the course I had looked at) but they declined this also. 

I had thought they said I could swap to a different course but this isn't the case. 

Also they said I could swap to a course for new parents but the cost of that is only £60 And I paid £273 for the training course, so that doesn't seem a logical or fair swap. 

Just looking for advice on my rights in this matter. 

I feel like because it's a fairly unique position to be in, I would have thought they might give me some sort of fairer options from a compassionate perspective...are there any grounds to my rights as a consumer in this regard? 

Many thanks and apologies I have probably put this in completely the wrong place. 

Who is the company providing the course ?  Have you a copy of your agreement and Terms and Conditions ?

Andy

Topic moved to Training and Apprenticeships Forum.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

This them ?

EASIBIRTHING-AND-PARENTING-TRAINING.TEACHABLE.COM

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• AndyOrch changed the title to Self employed course paid for with easybirthing but want refund

From their spelling of "license" and web address of .com I presume they are American(?).  Their terms say that the contract is governed "... by the laws of the School Owner’s home jurisdiction... " which makes me wonder if it's some sort of franchise - surely the business ought to be able to state which country has jurisdiction over it?

Regardless of whether UK consumer legislation applies or not, I'm not sure you have any grounds for a refund on a "change of mind" basis if you have actually accessed the course materials...

Hi thanks for your reply, the woman who owns it is Irish so could be to do with that. Ok yes this is what I feared, such a shame that due to my circumstance there couldn't have been a more compassionate resolution offered to me by them, but such is the way of the world I guess! 

Thanks for your responses, all the best.