Closing down a current account- Barclays

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have £0 in Barclays current account, I have not used it for years, and I want to close it down.

I only kept it open  in the last 10 years to pay £1 monthly to them for a loan taken in 2007, now I have DRO and I don't need to pay them or communicate with them, because they are on the DRO, loan does not show on my account since 2014.

I'm unable to visit a branch, and the other option I see is to fill out a paper form and send my chequebook and cutup debit card and send to them by post. Is this safe?

Would you suggest to cancel my card over the phone first?

The form also requires a signature, is it safe to sign?

I will send recorded, although I have reservations... as not even sure if they are working and able to receive letters due to the covid...

why did you take out a DRO for consumer credit debts that might not even be enforceable, esp if you are paying any debt collection agencies?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Because Barclays loan was for £12+K, they sent me the proof that I owe them (300+pages) and I am/was very distressed, could not mentally take it anymore, otherwise the right thing I know was to fight it.

I believe they gave me this loan irresponsibly, and it was unaffordable from the beginning,

pra recently sent me a letter that barclays asked them to arrange it with me, so maybe I had a good chance winning, too late now...,

receiving letters, phone calls from collection agencies +for other small credit card debts all from 2007 (most of them were not enforceable though as they could not show me any reasonable proof...).

Relatives I live with also very afraid and wanted me to make sure that no more letters come in saying I owe it etc...

I would not mentally cope if there were going to be court proceedings etc...

If I was stronger, I probably would have gone ahead with a dispute etc..

. I can't care less for credit score any longer, just need piece and quite, as it affects my well-being...

well closing a bank account won't change that

about time you took the bull by the horns and put in an irresponsible lending complaint to barclays regarding the loan.

why do you think barclays sold it to pra...thats the very reason why.

and cancel being cash cowed by a DCa and cancel the dro now.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I did not know about irresponsible lending until I already was issued with the dro.

A complaint for a loan from 2007, do you think this can be accepted by the Ombusman?

It was unsecured loan for £20K.

The only bank account I had then in my 20s was with Barclays and I had an income of about £200 a week going in to my personal account.

I applied online, 5 minutes application and never was asked to provide wages/tax returns or anything.

I received the money in my account within 24 hours and since then I only had problems... I was trying to pay every month and not able to live normal life... The money went for furniture after flooding, and a short while after that I left the property I was living in, leaving the furniture behind as the property was my boyfriend's.

..I defaulted in 2010 and since then never managed to be independent,

defaulted on credit cards to be able to pay the loan monthly amount etc...

Lived in other peoples homes as a nanny on a symbolic wage for a free room and food .

I was not able to rent because my credit score was bad...

Sometimes I would receive letters and everyday phone calls, lenders demanding money, and then some of the people I was living with would find out that I owe money and would ask me to leave, as they did not want to receive demanding letters to their address etc..

.I can't cope anymore with this way of living and being afraid...

Credit card debts not been paid for 5 years, but Barclays was paid £1 a month..

.I wish I realized earlier that I can dispute the loan with Barclays:

if this is possible at all...it was not a pay day loan and too old to dispute now (after 13 years) I guess...

I completely understand your suggestion, but this constant dispute with collection agencies and hearing about ccj's of other people and bailiffs, and the thought of this just killing me mentally...that's why I gave up the battle...

I do suggest though anyone who is in a similar position and had a chance not to give up!

I want to close the bank account because it is not of any use,

the day after the dro was issued they sent me a text saying that their correspondence to me has returned as undelivered and to update my address by calling them or going to a branch.

I have not received any correspondence from them!

I did receive a letter from PRA though telling me that Barc has asked them to recover the money on their behalf.

A member of my family who has a similar name as mine, opened the letter accidentally and as the property is hers she was very upset and afraid,

I took a pic of the letter but she took the letter away and returned it to the sender and wrote that I don;t live there,

so I guess pra told Barclays I no longer live there and they are trying tricks to get my new address,

I'm still at the address...

I don't want to hear from Barclays, and would not suggest Barclays as a bank to anyone,

so that's why I would like to close the account and if they continue to bother me I can make a complaint.

cheers for the great block of text!!

dx

and they

are you in the uk please?

and they

who's the useless people that recommended you do a pointless dro?

is this the only debt under the dro?
you need to cancel it NOW.

how old is it?

dx

and they

Nobody did, I did.

DRO is couple of months old...

Couple of credit cards cabot and pra + the loan with pra, saying that barc asked them to arrange it with me on their behalf, or something similar...

Why do you think DRO is so bad? What are the negatives?

In usual circumstances before the covid situation I would travel with families I worked for and their children for long holidays and family trips.

I am not always able to receive mail timely and it scares me that a ccj might be issued and I will not find out on time...

pra do not chase debts for banks

they BUY debts for <10p=£1 then chase you for the full owed amount

as i said earlier..why do you think barclays sold it for a knockdown price?

to a powerless DCA... they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have 

ZERO legal powers on any consumer debt no matter what it's type.

you don't own a property and have no assets so a CCJ wouldn't have harmed you anyway

but that would be very unlikely on a debt subject to the dispute you've mentioned.

as for the cards, send them and PRA a CCA request debt you are blindly paying through the DRO 

and CANCEL the dro

99% of what you pay goes on the providers fees and not actually off the debt.

DRO's IVA's are always a bad idea as they turn consumer debt into a legally binding agreements ...

and they

dx,

Thanks for the great conversation and advice.

I will think about the options I have and will come back here if I make a different decision.

I'm going to close my barclays account anyway.

Does anyone know if the best idea is to cancel my debit card before posting it by post to barcl please?

Has anyone managed to close an account recently online without filling up forms and sending cheques and cards by post?

I find it odd to be required to send the card and also unused cheques by post, is this safe for the account holder?

dx, I guess Barclays sold the loan to them...

Although the letter from pra is written in a confusing manner, at least to me is confusing. I was left with the impression that they are collecting on behalf of barclays and no purchase of debt was mentioned.

Barclays has done this in the past, a collection agency (I believe) created by Barclays cdcs did the same.

They sent me letters etc..demanded money, but the payment still had to be done to the original barclays loan account and sort code,

then in a while (a few years) the statements of the payments to the loan started coming directly from barclays again like cdcs never existed and I saw the cdcs marked as unauthorised dangerous scam company on the FCA website.

..How bad...Barclays demanded money through their own collection agency which turns out to be unautorised...

Thanks again for you help.

if a dca is merely chasing it will say our client xxx at the top

.Pra dont chase they buy debts

you've been had

cancel the DRO ..

as for the A/C

simply tell them by chat or their secure msg system on the online banking website you have shredded them.

but it wont remove the a/c from your file.

dx

and they

Thanks dx.

I will explain to them that I shredded them already and see what they will say, otherwise will pay extra for recorded delivery.

I don't care about my credit file/score.

Although my credit file is clear since April 2014: no defaults, no collection agencies, loans or credit cards recorded.

Credit score 650 on credit karma.

I am not even sure where, when and how the DRO will appear on credit file, as nobody has been reporting my 'debts' since 2014.

I can only see the 2 current bank accounts at £0 on the credit files on both Experian and credit karma and nothing else recorded.

Thanks again, have a great evening!

thats why the dro is pointless

your debts are obviously very historic and been defaulted more than 6yrs ago so can't ever now show.

you say you'd not paid anything in 5yrs..was it longer than that poss 6yrs...then they were already statute bared and you don't even owe anything.

and they

well you followed poor advice to keep paying £1PCM and running statute barring to infinity.

pers i'd cancel the DRO.

who says these debts are even enforceable?

did you send each owner a CCA request first??

and they

Yes, I have requested CCA's, Barc provided 300 pages, and they were the main issue, hence the dro.

I would not mentally cope to fight with barcl esp. if I have to deal with courts.

I am not familiar with law and unable to afford money for professional help if it goes to court.

They gave me the loan irresponsibly and therefore it was unaffordable from the beginning but unfortunately I don't think  I would have been able to proof this now, and I never knew that such option was available until recently.

forgewt what barclays sent, thats immaterial now

its what PRA hold.

se have you sent PRA a CCA request

and a CCA request to the other owners of your other debts included in this DRO you blindly set up which you should cancel now.

you don't need solicitors and you don't need professional help

it's consumer credit and is simple civil law and regulations.

and they

If Barclays has the cca, pra can supply it also, as they request it from the original lenders?

The others: one provided one, the second one was not able to provide anything.

Surprisingly, so many organisations work from home nowdays and don't send paper documentation but collection agencies keep sending letters saying: It's time to pay, I think they are desperate...

I anyway stopped paying both 5 years ago.

but you've just restarted paying them through your DRO?

or is barclays the only one in the DRO?

cancel it!

DCA's will send letters regardless

stuff and all they can do to you nor anyone

you have no assets.

send PRA a CCA request...

and when you get it back 

as with the other return you got

scan them to PDF so we can check them.

who said it was enforceable..not us!

and they

I have included them all in the dro, statue barred debts and unenforceable debts can also be included in a dro, as I explained and showed proof to the intermediary that they are old debts , this does not mean that I have agreed to pay the debt if dro is cancelled for some reason.

Even if I want to pay it I'm unable to do, due to lack of income...but I don't want to stay poor all my life, so one of the reasons that I applied for dro, is that I can start afresh once the dro has expired.

I will think about your suggestion, thanks for the offered help.

Edited by a girl and a cat

pointless paying an SB'd debt, you nor a judge can't ever unbar it!!

waste of money.

once a debt falls of your credit file as the defaulted date has reached its 6th birthday

a debt can't harm your file and your future credit anymore

sorry but your intermediary want shooting!! and you need to get your moneyback on those SB debts you've paid him for!

all he is doing is pocketing that money as its not going off any debt as the debt does not exist..it is statute barred...you been had blind and cash cowed

not only by powerless DCA's but by people that are supposed to help you..

all because you worry about silly threat-o-grams.

and they

are you actually paying anything to anyone £PCM since this DRO, you shouldn't be??

dx

and they