Cancelled tax direct debit forgot to sorn

loggz1996
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had my car sitting in the garage for around a month now waiting to be sold.

I cancelled my direct debit for tax around the same time and forgot to declare it off road.

I did try calling them around the same time I cancelled but due to the pandemic I couldn't get through.

I've now received a Statutory notice for payment of vehicle tax.

I was under the impression that they had cancelled the tax due to the payment failing and they've now requested I pay 114£ because of this.

just wondering what kind of options I have?

do you still have the V5C?

I would expect that £114 is for the full coming year?

go sorn it now online.

that should bring the bill down.

I did this in feb for a motor that I forget to do in dec 2019 and they wiped the debt.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Legend mate thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Yeah I have the V5c I'll get it sorn'd later on!

Do i need to get in contact with them regarding the letter?

it says 12 days of date of letter to pay don't want them adding extra charges on top 😕

all of which in my case were removed

now contacting them is another matter

at the best of times you can't get thru

I sent an email explaining my mistake, they emailed back accepting the backdated sorn and closed the matter

I think you might have a very good chance if you wave the covid-19 flag too.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

in post 2

I just put I was confused by being told the wrong info by my ins co.

get the sorn done online 1st mind.

dx

and they

I have just sorn'd the car

been trying to get in contact with them all morning

but only thing I have managed to get is an automatic email saying:

A penalty has been issued as you are registered as the keeper of a vehicle which has been untaxed without a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) being made.

Penalties are only passed onto debt collectors to pursue if DVLA receive no response to the original penalty letter.

Great care has been taken in selecting the Debt Collection Agencies. They are all professional organisations that adhere to the Credit Service Association, Office of Fair Trading Guidelines and the Data Protection Act (DPA).

If you wish to make a payment in relation to the penalty you are able to by one of the following methods:

• By debit/credit card online, by visiting www.gov.uk/pay-dvla-fine
  • By debit/credit card, by calling 0300 790 6808. Please note this is a payment only line. The Agency regrets that it is not possible to challenge this penalty by telephone or email.
  • By cheque or postal order payable to DVLA. Please write the vehicle registration number on the back of any payment and return it to the address quoted on the letter.
  •  

If, however, you wish to appeal against the penalty and feel you have circumstances relating to the alleged offence that you wish to bring to the enforcement officer’s attention you must do so in writing as a signature is required.

Please send full details of your mitigating circumstances to;

DVLA
D12
Swansea
SA99 1AH

If you are not able to return the penalty letter you must quote the vehicle registration number, make and model in your letter.

Further information can be found at www.gov.uk/appeal-dvla-fine

DVLA is unable to accept these details by telephone or email. Please keep a copy of the correspondence for reference.

If you have not already done so you must tax the vehicle if it is kept on the road, or make a SORN if it is being kept off the road. You can do either of these using your V5C at www.gov.uk/vehicletax or by phone on 0300 1234 321.

I am not sure I have a leg to stand on appealing but I was originally only paying 12£ per month before I cancelled the direct debit I have no idea how its amounted to  £114.12.

Like you said that's probably the whole years tax they want.

by the looks of it all I can do is send this letter off and hope they either wipe it and accept my sorn or they only make me pay the £12 or so I missed and sorn from today?

Also was going to ask how did you backdate the sorn did you just put you applied for it on x date?

because I have applied today and it was super simple just annoying I didn't do it when I cancelled my insurance!!

well don't worry about powerless DCA's, on ANY debt. they are not bailiffs.

yours is only at best 1mth, dvla let me off 3+mth but I did refer to relevant medical issues as the reason.

can't see them chasing for 1mts. email or write.

and they