PIP Claim not able to give answers to questions`

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1787 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I hope someone can help me as I have received a form from the DWP telling me that my DLA claim is coming to an end and I was to complete a form claiming PIP if I wanted to be transferred to PIP. I told them that I would like to and have the form. 

My problem starts with question 3a, onwards. 

Do you need to use an aid or appliance to prepare or cook a simple meal?

* Perching stools, lightweight pots and pans, easygrip handles on utensils, single lever arm taps and liquid level indicators

A - Yes

B - No

C - Sometimes.

My problem is I cannot stand unaided, even then only for a short time and drag my leg while moving around the house.

The doors are not wide enough for the wheelchair to be moved from one room to another without taking off the wheels, collapsing the back and reassembly, so its left at the bottom of the stairs.

My condition has left me bed-bound after an accident in 2010 during spinal surgery.

Since then, I have had 31 additional operations to try and help with the pain.

I have footdrop on my left leg and can honestly say I have lost count of how many falls I have had breaking arms, elbows, shoulders, jaw, lost teeth and several concussions,

I'm into double figures for hospital stays, social services got involved because they thought I was victim of my wife beating me! 

I had one hospital stays, but one that cuts to the heart on question 3a. as due to scolding on my Torso and "other" areas when I tried to make a cup of coffee and carry it to the living room. the crutch jolted the cup which spilled liquid that made me fall bringing the contents of the cup and part of the kettle as I reached for a worktop only pulling the kettle over the side and on to me. 

I cannot answer A, as I cannot do it ever, nor, B or C.

What do I do when I cannot answer a question?

Help would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm going through the same process atm.

1st things 1st phone the 0800 number on the PIP form and ask for an extension on when you need to send the PIP form back. You'll be given an extra 14 days on top of the date the original letter etc state no questions asked. Did this yesterday no fuss no bother!

Now as for your question........ I can't help you answer that directly as you have to figure that out. 

With the YES/NO/Sometimes boxes the term you need to understand is "RELIABLY"

This a DWP term which means many things but under DLA meant somebody do the same task without my disability v's me.

So if you can do something safely and repeatedly. 

If doing said task means it causes you harm or means you can not do it or any other task for a protracted period of time then you can answer no. 

Sometimes is a bit of a judgement call 

Yes is basically it has zero affect on you or you life. 

• Like 1

Have a look at this CAB guide as you've not mentioned if you can actually cook, do cook or have somebody (wife/carer) do that stuff for you. 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form/3-prepare-and-cook-meal/

Note I'm by no means an expert on this and am currently learning as I go. 

The point scoring on that question is 

a. Can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided. 0 points. (so tick No on both questions)

b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.

c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave. 2 points.

d. Needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.

e. Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 4 points.

f. Cannot prepare and cook food. 8 points.

So with the problems you describe;

you might use an aid - so Yes/Sometimes to 3a

you also might not be able to cook or it's dangerous for you then Yes/Sometimes to 3b

You then expand on exactly how, what and why for both/either in 3c

You can select Yes/Sometimes to more than one sub question in a group.  

I'll also be using this

https://www.carersinsouthampton.co.uk/advicenow-how-to-win-a-pip-appeal-guide

and this

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/personal-independence-payment-pip