Landlord Adding Damages after we left property (Tenancy finished)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1861 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So he could be making this up.

Strange because he claims of having a report from simply business contractors. 

And no, they wouldn't give him a quote for a declined claim.

From earlier posts seems that LL fixed a few things in the house, so the prices that he's claiming are actual costs.

Anyhow,  it will be difficult for him to explain why he wanted to give you back part of the deposit and when you challenged this he realised there were £14k of damages.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what he is doing. I an confused as to why, if there were all these alleged damages why he returned part of the deposit almost straight away, then sent us a letter stating the 'damages' were £5000 and then it went up to £14,000 and said if we didn't pay the £5000 by 28 February 2019 he would start court proceedings. 

Incidentally, we have an email from him, from last year, stating that he was planning on selling the house when we left and would be spending £5000 on renovations. Strange that was exactly the second amount he claimed!! 

I think he may be trying to intimidate us into not taking him to court for not putting deposit in scheme and not having gas certs etc

Yes, that's his plan.

Anyway,  the 28 February is well passed and he didn't take you to court.

This proves he's bluffing. 

It's up to you what to do.

If you just want your deposit back, start the pre action protocol for the difference he owes you.

I would keep the non protection of deposit separate as it is a much simpler matter, no defence from his part. 

• Like 1