• Tweets

• I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
    • quite honestly id email shiply CEO with that crime ref number and state you will be taking this to court, for the full sum of your losses, if it is not resolved ASAP. should that be necessary then i WILL be naming Shiply as the defendant. this can be avoided should the information upon whom the courier was and their current new company contact details, as the present is simply LONDON VIRTUAL OFFICES  is a company registered there and there's a bunch of other invisible companies so clearly just a mail address   
    • If it doesn’t sell easily : what they can get at an auction becomes fair market price, which may not realise what you are hoping.
    • Thank you. The receiver issue is a rabbit hole I don't think I'm going to enjoy going down. These people seem so protected. And I don't understand how or why?  Fair market value seems to be ever shifting and contentious.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DWP overpayment due from deceased's estate***Settled***

reallymadwoman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is benefits or should be somewhere else.

There is an outstanding debt to DWP for an overpayment which my relative had been paying off slowly for about 10 years. The relative died recently, and I am dealing with the estate.

Within less than 2 weeks from the date of death I had quite a stroppy letter from DWP demanding immediate repayment of a sum about double what I had expected or alternatively providing detailed information on all of the estate's assets in a form to be returned within 7 days.

Leaving aside the sensitivity of contacting me even before the funeral, I couldn't either pay them or provide the information they asked for in their time scale even if I wanted to. Are DWP even entitled to detailed information about the estate's assets or to demand payment/information so quickly? I was under the impression they were no more of a priority than the credit cards for example.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Helpful advise both, thank you.

I haven't actually applied for probate (there's no will) because I don't yet have details of all the assets or all the creditors so I think I'll tell them to get stuffed until I'm ready to deal with it, but in the meantime, please justify every penny you're asking for .....

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thank you Ethel for the comprehensive reply.

The estate is almost certainly insolvent, in fact if DWP's figure is even close to correct then they'll be lucky to get 10p in the £.

I appreciate that I have no legal duty at the moment to deal with this, but if I don't no one else will and my Mum will end up getting all the hassle as the deceased lived with her before going into a care home so that's the last address on file. I'd love to just pay a solicitor to deal with it but the deceased's entire estate is less than £4000 once the funeral costs have been paid so it seems a bit overkill. There's no property, his car is already back with Motability and his personal belongings, mainly clothing, are of little to no value.

Apart from DWP there are a couple of credit cards with small balances that I do know about and perhaps one or two more that haven't contacted the deceased for a while - his affairs were neglected for some time before he was diagnosed with dementia and things did get a bit out of hand.

I hadn't realised that I would have to apply for a court order though I was aware that I could be personally liable for some of the debts if I got things wrong. As (so far as I know at the moment) the only debts are unsecured and of the same priority, I thought I'd be ok so long as I put the notice in the Gazette to try to identify anything else.

Are you able to give any further advice re the Court Order or should I just get a solicitor? I suppose if they get most of the estate in costs at least DWP won't get it.

RMW

I have another issue which I hope someone can assist with.

There was an ongoing complaint with the Ombudsman Service in relation to one of the deceased's accounts which has now been concluded. They are paying £25 compensation for their own failings, and have recommended that the creditor involved pay £30 compensation as a credit to the account. I think that as that particular creditor is likely to get 20p at best, the £30 should be paid to the estate and distributed proportionately, but they won't agree.

Should the £30 be paid to the estate? Is there anything I could say that might convince the Ombudsman service of that?

Is it even worth the time and effort to argue about it or should I just tell them to jog on as that's all they're getting? I'm concerned that even though it's basically a trivial amount someone could be upset about me effectively giving it away. On the other hand, it's £30 which I don't mind paying myself if I have to.

RMW

• 1 month later...

Still trying to deal with this.

I wrote to all the creditors I was able to identify, some have responded, some haven't so I've today sent chaser letters as I know that there will be an outstanding balance to pay for at least 2 of them. I also put the notice in the Gazette, the time limit for that runs out in about 2 weeks. 

If some creditors are simply not responding, how many times do I have to write to them before giving up and assuming they don't want any money?

Incidentally, DWP still haven't bothered to justify their demand despite two reminders.

RMW

No unidentified creditors have come forward yet.

The identified ones who haven't responded are a Barclaycard (two different accounts) and Vanquis - at least one of them has a balance over £2000 though the Vanquis account may be less than £500.

RMW

• 4 weeks later...

Barclaycard have finally responded and they are writing off three separate accounts totalling more than £5K

- I'm sure this is entirely from the goodness of their hearts and nothing to do with my 'prove it' letters.

DWP, despite their initial insistence that they be repaid even before the funeral was held have now ignored me since 7th February. I've sent 3 reminders, the last via a tracked method so I know they got it. Until they respond I can do nothing to settle the Estate and I'm starting to get 'gentle reminders' from some of the other creditors plus I want this sorted and done with.

I can't believe DWP would write off any balance, but it's surely not reasonable to just ignore me until they can be bothered to respond? Any suggestions?

RMW

Sod's law, the minute I finished drafting the complaint, they replied. Finally. They're still asking for nearly double what I think they're due but they've also said that if I don't apply for Letters of Administration (I won't) they can't enforce repayment and can only rely on my honesty to pay them. However, because they can't enforce they also can't accept a dispute over the amount ....

I'm tempted to give them £50 and split the rest between the more co-operative creditors.

RMW

• 3 weeks later...

Finally all settled, thanks to everyone who gave advice.

The best single bit of advice I was given was not to apply for Letters of Administration but to deal with everything informally as there was so little in the estate and it was clearly insolvent. Most creditors have just written off the debts, it obviously wasn't worth their time to get 10p in the £, the only ones that didn't were Capital One, Vanquis and DWP.

Had I done things formally, then I'd have had to supply endless bits of paper to DWP in particular to prove every penny. As it is, I included a line in the settlement letter stating that in view of the amounts involved I wasn't prepared to enter into any further correspondence or supply any documents, i.e. take it or leave it. 

• Like 2

RMW

• AndyOrch changed the title to DWP overpayment due from deceased's estate***Settled***