• Tweets

• again a quick google search states Appeal a DVLA fine - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) i would not be appealing mind. it's only a summary charge which they rarely do court on and pass out the powerless DCA's whom are not bailiffs they have 6mts. see where they go. as you've sorn'd it will probably be nulled. dx  
    • There are a number of reasons why you may not have been issued a notice in the post within 14 days. If you were stopped by the police it may have been given verbally. In the case of speeding offences, the police may issue you with a conditional offer of a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100.00 fine by post or an offer of a speed awareness course. If the offence is considered too serious for a speed awareness course or fixed penalty you may be charged with an offence which normally occurs by way of the issue of a Single Justice Procedure Notice. If the vehicle within which the alleged offence took place was registered to another person or company there is technically no need for a notice to be issued to the driver. After the police have obtained details of the nominated the driver, they will normally send the notice to them, although there are no time limits within which they must do so (provided that the notice was received within 14 days by the registered keeper of the vehicle). In such circumstances, a person may receive a notice several months after the alleged offence too place but still be prosecuted. A Guide to a Notice of Intended Prosecution | Motoring Offence Lawyers the above copy n paste link has purely been copy n pasted here to inform you of the regs, which you could have done yourself by, as this is, a google search......... we do not ever recommend using such offered webservices! dont dx    
    • all DYL's are subject to a TRO. looking at this newish, ever increasing as old ind units have gotten removed, estate, there are only lines on one side, on the other there is a parking lane with traffic calming through which you mention. i seriously doubt your mate has any clue what he is talking about.!! its not a private housing assoc estate. so its a public council owned road. no construction co can just decide to draw their graffiti on a road. the DYLs are certainly there pre 2016 even before his home was built. now ive had a quick look to see if the main access to royal park road has signs. there is no royle park road even on your map but there is a royal barn road which leads to where you are parked royal road has a restriction sign on the pole by the fence of the electric substation jnc with gipsy lane there does not appear to be one leading in from the other end - tesco petrol station
    • Hi All. I was driving in Stevenage down a 40 road after coming off the motor way, i noticed my car felt a little "weird" i accelerated, then slowed the car down.  Shortly after i got stopped by a manned police car with a laser. During the stop the officer stated i was doing 54 in a 40, the conversation was short, but he said i would unlikely get a awareness course and it was most likely 3 points and a fine.  Mrs thought it was a good idea to have dairy when she is lactose intolerant on date night, we just got on our way.  At the time, i didnt admit to the offence, but did say i didnt realise and had slowed down in any case. The officers chest camera was recording and on. At the stop, he asked where to send the fine to, as i knew i would be travelling to visit family up north, i provided my temporary details at that location in Yorkshire. It is now 05/05 and i haven't received anything at either my home address in Stevenage or the temporary address. 1. Is there a time limit in which paperwork needs to be sent to me. 2. Should i query the ticket as i don't want to miss any deadlines (if so who do i check with?) OR should i keep quiet. 3. Given nothing has arrived in 20 days, is there a chance of appeal if and when it comes through? Many thanks CrazeUK
    • Hi All. A family friends car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the beginning of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, however he said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online (i have a copy of this).  She didnt mention she hadnt received any confirmation as she didnt know if she would get one.  She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. She then was travelling up north so didnt get her mail until last week. She received a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehicle and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she responds by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i got her to dig  out the V5 and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped and is still on his forecourt. Is this possible to appeal?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advice on Will and benefits

joeblogs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend's mum has recently died and he has been left a part share of her property along with his son - this is what is says in the Will but I can't understand it:-

'real and personal property or by codicil hereto otherwise specifically disposed of as Tenants in Common in equal shares'

there is a mortgage on the property.

My friend claims IB ESA and would like to move into his late mum's property, his son is ok with this. Obviously a new mortgage would have to be taken out by my friend's son.

The question is, if my friend moves into his late mum's property with his son taking out a new mortgage, will this affect his IB ESA and will the DWP class it that he has equity in the property? I know he cannot claim Housing Benefit for the property when he moves into it, but would like some info that I could pass onto him. Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for your advice Mr P.

My friend is currently living with his son's family and it is a bit overcrowded. My friend is separated and would be living on his own in his late mum's property. As previously mentioned, the son has equal share of a small amount of equity with my friend (his dad), and the property will need a new mortgage to be taken out by his son as currently the mortgage is in the late mum's name - she only died on Boxing Day so it's early days yet.

Also in the Will, the late mum left one relative £15,000 and another £10,000, so the son will have to take out a mortgage to cover the existing mortgage, the £25,000 to pay off other people named in the Will and money to pay for the funeral and legal expenses relating to Probate.

As the death is recent, and with the Christmas holidays, the Will has not yet been dealt with by solicitors and put into Probate. He is not yet ready to move into his mum's property as he is terribly upset - how long does he have before he needs to advise the DWP about the Will and his decision to move? I guess it's when he actually moves into her home, but would like some clarification as my friend is not thinking straight at the moment and I don't want him to get into trouble with the DWP, although his circumstances have not yet changed.

Sorry for the long post, but advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I think its going to get too complicated with at least 3 benefactors and then another party with a mortgage...

I would think that if any party goes to dispute anything, solicitors could get involved and this would quickly eat up any equity.

Personally I would have all assets sold and money pooled.

Also in the Will, the late mum left one relative £15,000 and another £10,000, so the son will have to take out a mortgagelink3.gif to cover the existing mortgagelink3.gif, the £25,000 to pay off other people named in the Will and money to pay for the funeral and legal expenses relating to probatelink3.gif.

[...]how long does he have before he needs to advise the DWP about the Will and his decision to move? I guess it's when he actually moves into her home,

Depending on the exact wording of the will, it may be possible that any cash is used to settle the mortgage along with solicitors fees and other expenses, leaving the two cash beneficiaries with nothing. However, this would be down to the executor and of course, the will. The solicitor acting as the executor will be able to advise on this.

As for informing the DWP, you are only required to notify of a change in circumstances "in good time". This is usually accepted to be around 21 days unless there are exceptional circumstances. Certainly tell the DWP when the move takes place, but the inheritance can be notified once the property has been transfered to the beneficiaries.

From personal experience, there is no rush for your friend to do anything. The grieving process is different for everybody, and for some, it can take a long time to come to terms with a death. Tell him to take his time, and offer what ever support you can.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thank you Mr P for your kind advice. This is a messy Will. All the money is tied up in the property. The son is the DWP Appointee for his grandmother and is going to advise them of her death tomorrow (Monday 08.01.18)

The property is worth around £120,000 maximum, there is a £44,000 outstanding mortgage, so when you deduct the mortgage, this leaves £76,000, then the payout of £25,000 to 2 other people in the family leaves £51,000, then the funeral and legal costs approximately £12,000, leaves approximately £39,000, that will then be divided equally between the father and son.

This is where I need to find out if the son obtains a mortgage to cover the above expenses, can the father not take his share and the son who will be a first time buyer get a mortgage and allow his father to live in the property and would this affect his IB ESA?. As the father (my friend) is an older person and on IB ESA, his late mum's 2 bed bungalow would be ideal for him to live in.

Thank you Mr P for being so kind, my friend is so upset and keeps crying so it's difficult to deal with the legalities of all this, I just don't want my friend to get into any trouble with the DWP, however, all money is tied up in the property so not available to use. Many thanks.

Your friend and his son need to sit down with the solicitor handling the probate and discuss what options are open to both of them. Normally, any debts owed by the deceased (e.g. a mortgage) are paid off once funeral expenses have been paid. Often, this means any fixed assets such as a property are sold so that specified bequests can be paid out, and then the residual is distributed. The executor (i.e. the solicitor) can elect to sell the property to a residual beneficiary at the going market rate. However, much of this is dependent on the specific wording of the will.

If the son and your friend become joint owners of the property, the DWP should disregard it as capital if it is his only home (regardless of where the son lives) so his benefits should remain unaffected.

Thanks again Mr P for your helpful advice. You are right, my friend and his son should sit with the solicitor and sort this out.

I don't think my friend would be able to obtain a mortgage as he is sick and elderly, and claiming IB ESA & DLA. It would be his son who would have to take out the new mortgage with my friend's share of the proceeds (whatever is left after paying everything off and divided between friend and son).

I know that my friend would not claim Housing Benefit as the property would be mortgaged by his son. I think he could claim Council Tax Benefit with a 25% single person discount though.

Am I correct in thinking that my friend does not have to inform the DWP about this Will at the moment as there is no hard cash and the Will has to go through Probate so he has no changes in his circumstances at the moment. Sorry for all the questions, but just want to pass on the correct information in an extremely difficulty situation.

If he is living alone, he will certainly get the single person discount. As he is also claiming ESA and DLA, he should also get a further reduction on council tax. How much he will actually have to pay is dependent on which council he falls under as each have their own set of rules.

As for informing the DWP, you are correct in that they do not have to be informed until such time as funds are distributed and/or he moves in to the property in question.