• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

tax credits for couple where one is living abroad

mikehunt69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit

If your circumstances change you must inform HMRC. If you leave the country for an extended period, you may then no longer qualify for WTC.

If you returned and UC full service has been rolled where you live in the UK, both you and your wife are likely to have to both move onto UC. It would be a couple claim at your UK address. If you have savings above £16000, you may not qualify anyway for UC, as you have pointed out.

I don't think it is possible to have one part of a couple on WTC and their other half on UC. Moving to UC will be complicated because they will check all documentation related to your self employed business. There is assumed income of 35 hours a week on minimum wage. So they might not see your business as viable and look for you seek higher paid income.

If you were on WTC before UC full service started, then managed migration by DWP migration will happen between 2019 and 2022. Just make sure you declare 100% accurate info as Government now has access to more centralised info, due better IT systems in place.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-if-moving-country-or-travelling/going-abroad-temporarily

After 8 weeks outside the UK, any tax credit claim should end. You have to tell them per the conditions attached to your claim and they could check records. If you continued claiming when not entitled, then no doubt you could be investigated and face actions they deem appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes that is correct. We dont have a claim come currently, so this would be a sole claim after I left the country.

From what I read, the normal rules in the case of separation are that a couple temporarily separated cannot be treated as separate claims. However you can't be on a tax credit claim if you are overseas.

It seems that the corollary of being ineligible if overseas is that you should be treated as separated immediately.

Once UC is in your postcode area of the UK, everything is UC based. If a couple separate and one is on a legacy benefit such as WTC, then they would be told to move on to UC. This would be a natural migration causes by a change in circumstances.

Another point I should have made earlier. If you inherit property abroad or a sum of money abroad, you should inform any UK Government agency you receive benefit from. Again this is a legal requirement to advise UK government of a change in circumstances and failure to advise in inheritance might lead to serious consequences if found out.

Here is my take on this. If there is a current entitlement to tax credits or any other benefits not being taken advantage of, then put in an application now

Provide all relevant information that they ask for and see what happens.

If you live in a postcode area where UC full service has not been started, then when you leave the country you advise of the change of circumstances. When you come back to the UK, you advise your change of circumstances. You will start on old legacy benefits and if you return before UC starts you will stay on legacy benefits until DWP transfer to UC or a further change in circumstances means a change to UC.

Keep it simple, provide accurate information and you will get what you are entitled to.

Use one of the benefit calculators e.g entitled to, turn2us to check your entitlement. If you are in any doubt, then many of the organisations that deal with benefits have a helpline.

Yes that does seem the way to go, I do need to figure out about the 8 weeks for my son as well.

Do you ? Any claim for benefits is based on the information on the day you submit the application.

If there is a change of circumstances later e.g your Son, then you advise about the change at the time.

To make the claim easier, suggest it is in your wifes name and any benefits paid into her account. Then when you leave the UK, it might make things easier.

I think you need to stop posting irrelevant stuff tbh. Tax credits are based on income, no regard to capital. Building a house in the UK or anywhere else doesn't have anything to do with that. I think this was an ideological thing by Labour, to give as many people TCs as possible (but that's a digression), as UCs have a capital limit.

The point being raised is where is the money coming from to build the house abroad ? It is not our business, however, one of the questions on any benefit claim is access to money or assets in the UK or outside of the UK. Onviously you will realise the consequences of not answering any questions accurately, but there are many people out there, who might not consider this or be bothered, as they might think UK Government would not find out about money or assets abroad.

To clarify they ask about all money/assets UK and abroad to assess income. If someone has property assets abroad, then the question is whether they have other sources of income.

Thanks. Will have a look at that, as I thought there was something related to assets which were not the main UK family home. There was an assumed income or some affect on any UK benefit claim.

It does seem odd that soneone owning say several UK properties where no income was gained from ownership could claim tax credits, as an example.

Having just checked a site which covers tax credits, it is onlly income/profits that is derived from owning any second properties that would affect a tax credit claim. So if the foreign house was let out, then any income generated would be disclosed as foreign income.