BMW 320d 150Bhp Turbo Problems

nano
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If one removes the swirl flap plates from the manifold, what will this do to the emissions? Will it push it up into a higher tax band? Will it effect MOT or anything?

Thinking of buying an 02 320TD, but having read this stuff, I'm a little scared. However, I have also read on other forums that many people who have had 5 diesel BMW's of the types being talked about here, with no turbo issues whatsoever. I wonder what percentage of these turbo's fail?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the normal failure mode for these turbos?

I have an MG ZS diesel running at about 155bhp, and when the turbo went pop on that (122k) it just slowly started to smoke more and more over the course of several months. When I took it off, there was a scary amount of play in the shaft!

Do these just fail with no warning whatsoever?

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am thinking of buying a BMW 3 series 2007. I have heard people saying servicing BMW costs a lot. I was wondering if anyone had experience in different costs of servicing and the problems that the BMW series 3 has. Thanking your replies in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I wonder if you could help me - I'll try and keep the background as brief as I can.

I'm in dispute with the finance company and dealer I bought my car off.

i bought the car 4 months ago (BMW 320th 03 plate 68,000 miles on the clock £4,500). A couple of weeks ago the car suffered engine failure. A 'Swirl Flap' had broken off and was ingested into the manifold and engine etc repairs have been estimated at approx £4,000.00. I have been trying to hold the finance company to account under the Sale of Goods Act (I have been receiving advice from Trading Standards). The finance company sent out DEKRA to carry out a engineers report. The issue here is if the 'fault' could have existed or been developing when I purchased the car. The DEKRA report states that the flap had failed suddenly and unpredictably and could not have been broken at time of purchase. It should be noted the finance company's instruction to the engineer was fairly leading and it was obvious what they wanted the outcome to be. I have corresponded with several BMW 'experts' that have suggested that the flaps can fail due to debris build up over a period of time (that is they can work loose etc), The report also suggests BMW have acknowledged this issue with improvements to the design although I have correspondence from them saying this is not the case.

i would welcome your comments,

Regards, Neil.

What causes these swirl flaps to fail is the pin holding them in place within the manifold. With vibrations the pin can come dislodged allowing the flap to be sucked into the engine. The problem does indeed exist and BMW should be putting their hands up to it but they wont. You are right that in newer cars the pin holding the flap was uprated to stop it happening.

I can't see the finance being the responsible party as in all fairness from their eyes it is a sudden failure and not forseeable. You could try sepaking to BMW customer support but dont hold your breath. I've been in the trade for countless years and they weren't interested when it happened to my Mrs motor.

Hello, I wonder if you could help me - I'll try and keep the background as brief as I can.

I'm in dispute with the finance company and dealer I bought my car off.

i bought the car 4 months ago (BMW 320th 03 plate 68,000 miles on the clock £4,500). A couple of weeks ago the car suffered engine failure. A 'Swirl Flap' had broken off and was ingested into the manifold and engine etc repairs have been estimated at approx £4,000.00. I have been trying to hold the finance company to account under the Sale of Goods Act (I have been receiving advice from Trading Standards). The finance company sent out DEKRA to carry out a engineers report. The issue here is if the 'fault' could have existed or been developing when I purchased the car. The DEKRA report states that the flap had failed suddenly and unpredictably and could not have been broken at time of purchase. It should be noted the finance company's instruction to the engineer was fairly leading and it was obvious what they wanted the outcome to be. I have corresponded with several BMW 'experts' that have suggested that the flaps can fail due to debris build up over a period of time (that is they can work loose etc), The report also suggests BMW have acknowledged this issue with improvements to the design although I have correspondence from them saying this is not the case.

i would welcome your comments,

Regards, Neil.

Hi, As already said in the post above, BMW will not admit anything, you could have a look at some BMW forums, E46 and bimmer to name a few and see what some say about it, it has been known for BMW to offer something if the car has full BMW service history etc and under a certain mileage...cant remember what it is though..good luck with your problem and sorry i cant be of anymore help Dom

Thanks, I'm not getting any joy from BMW at all. Been on to Consumer Direct who have advised me so far. Because some finance was used to purchase the car under the Supple of Goods Act I have been trying to get the finance company to cough up. The car has full service history but not by BMW. At the minute I'm looking at being £4,500 out of pocket plus still having to pay the finance company :-(

• 11 months later...

My 2006 BMW 320D automatic recently experienced turbo bearing and turbo charger failure. I am having no success with BMW, they have refused request from BMW garage for 'goodwill' contribution.

Last year a hydraulic unit was replaced - this is not the first major problem with this car.

I notice that turbo failure was a big issue with earlier models - what is the experience with the 2006 models?

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I bought a 2002 320d with the Turbo, intercooler, engine and cat replaced in 2009. Will the new engine have the same problem s as the 2002 model. In other words, when they replace the engine, do they put in the latest engine (I'm assuming 2004 model), or exact same as came out?

Thx

Hi,

I bought a 2002 320d with the Turbo, intercooler, engine and cat replaced in 2009. Will the new engine have the same problem s as the 2002 model. In other words, when they replace the engine, do they put in the latest engine (I'm assuming 2004 model), or exact same as came out?

Thx

What new engine ?

Hi,

Thx

How do we know if it was BMW who fitted it, or a dodgy backstreet garage?

More information would be useful!

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have a 320D SE Tourer registered 2000 year which I have owned for about seven years now and done very little mileage (total about 69000). What sort of chance do I

have of suffering with the turbo troubles that are being talked about here?

I do have a problem at the moment of a power loss on acceleration as the car starts and runs beautifully with no smoke at all from the exhaust but has a lack of power on pressing the pedal down. It just seems like one long "flat spot". There are no lights on the instrument panel.

Thanks for any help.