Log Book Loans Again....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nicky B - Hey..... Word up - as the younger ones say - Brilliant!!!

Yes Polpi - like Nicki B has indicated there needs to be better protection for LBL past and current customers should the trader loose this next appeal. The implication of them having any kind of re-call to the consumer needs to be dealt with

It cannot be discounted that should they loose their licence eventually that they will not look to sell on their book of business to some unsuspecting buyer - possibly even another franchisee!!!!

And this could mean that a franchisee or other party having bought the book of business seeks to call in the outstanding debt

Similar to what the mortgage companies did in the US (our current government were swift to stop it happening in the same way here) in my mind!!! i.e TCF and FSA regs to protect mortgage borrowers....

Nicky B's proposal is if handled to best effect will effect some of the best protection for LBL customers

In the meantime - keep your precious car hidden - and let's see what we as consumers can do to protect everyone of us for the long term

Because essentially that is what Nicky B is working on right now with the site team - not an easy challenge - so all support must be given - because it is the consumer that will derive a long term benefit.

Have to agree them selling on some of their debt is a real possibility and that if they dont just try and milk it for all its worth first themselves as the oft did say they could collect their remaining loan books in as part of the winding up process

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree them selling on some of their debt is a real possibility and that if they dont just try and milk it for all its worth first themselves as the oft did say they could collect their remaining loan books in as part of the winding up process

The dept selling is a real possiblity, its almost certain. However, celling the dept to another "company" will this not invalidate the BoS?, then there's the added fees. The DCA's will have a field day, even now they chase people for accounts, with very little information. So It may be that we need to step back just alittle until we know whats going to happen.

just a message to everyone, hang in there.

trooper68

Trooper68:)

The dept selling is a real possiblity, its almost certain. However, celling the dept to another "company" will this not invalidate the BoS?, then there's the added fees. The DCA's will have a field day, even now they chase people for accounts, with very little information. So It may be that we need to step back just alittle until we know whats going to happen.

just a message to everyone, hang in there.

trooper68

Unfortunately no i dont beleive it does also the company they sell it too may try and persue a CCJ as people tend to forget these are also CCA agreements so CCJ then enforcement is still possible ie attachment to earnings, bailiffs (for other possesions)& Charging order (any proceeds from house sale or remortgage has to pay off loan) - i think it more likely the companies will just threaten these but on large ones that are in the multiple thousands (very possible on these rates) it may just be worth it too them to actually get the ccj

Hi Nicky

You cannot be serious on stripping the car? I hope your joking.

trooper68

Hi Trooper It is a good idea letting them take a dud car, then the threat from them taking your car, is removed. They don't gain a thing. Well they don't care what measure they have to take or who car it really is, so why treat them in a fare manner.

Dont advice it, but nice thought though.

But when it comes to the insr company most cover has legal protection linked to it.

I advice everyone that is being threatened by LBL to make sure now before anything happens you are covered for the following;

1; for a courtesy car if yours is taken,because it is theft.

2: full legal cover. (find out what it will cover)

3 house hold insurance has got legal cover same as above.

4:Apply to DVLA for the V5 if you not already got it

5:Print off Debt collection guide keep to hand for ref if the the baliff turn up, and also the police. (They are so stupid to the enforcement rules. They would allow granny to be repossed if Baliff paperwork looked right) You then can show old bill the facts .

I think that once anyone takes out LBL change Insr companies from the one reg with LBL so they don't get their hands on the payout.

Protect every thing make sure all ins will allow you to fight these pigs.

And never say I will do it tomorrow, because its to late after the fact to realise you don't have cover for say a courtesy car

Hi Trooper It is a good idea letting them take a dud car, then the threat from them taking your car, is removed. They don't gain a thing. Well they don't care what measure they have to take or who car it really is, so why treat them in a fare manner.

Dont advice it, but nice thought though.

But when it comes to the insr company most cover has legal protection linked to it.

I advice everyone that is being threatened by LBL to make sure now before anything happens you are covered for the following;

1; for a courtesy car if yours is taken,because it is theft.

2: full legal cover. (find out what it will cover)

3 house hold insurance has got legal cover same as above.

4:Apply to DVLA for the V5 if you not already got it

5:Print off Debt collection guide keep to hand for ref if the the baliff turn up, and also the police. (They are so stupid to the enforcement rules. They would allow granny to be repossed if Baliff paperwork looked right) You then can show old bill the facts .

I think that once anyone takes out LBL change Insr companies from the one reg with LBL so they don't get their hands on the payout.

Protect every thing make sure all ins will allow you to fight these pigs.

And never say I will do it tomorrow, because its to late after the fact to realise you don't have cover for say a courtesy car

Hi Nicky

Agreed, but to make a claim, you need a Police crime number, so really its down to get the Police involed. That is why I suggest getting the Right information across to the Police at the start, the weapon we need is a guide for all the BoS who are about to have the car removed or just had it taken.

Twoc, taking without consent, they claim to own the car, cos they have a BoS. Even that alone the police SHOULD look into the aligation. If they don't complain.

trooper68

Trooper68:)

giving them a dud car wont really work when they sell the car at auction if it does not sell for or more than your loan agreement they still chase you for the rest of the money they are owed i may be wrong correct me if i am but this is what the w****r at the repo place told me just hide the car or keep a stilsaw in the boot to cut the clamp off theyll get bored of chasing you eventually

Hi

The guy I replied to had bought a car with a loan on it. LBL.

LBL where trying to reposes the innocent purchaser car.

They are using it is the security for someone elses loan the previous owner, of the car.

So it would not come back on him at all because he is not the person whos name is on the loan

It gets them off his back .

They would then have to pursue the former owner for the short full.

Now see where I was going with that.

I dont advice it because of the insr comp.

But i9t would shaft some what LBL.

Can you imagine how they would react. Them being had for a change

Hi Nicky

Agreed, but to make a claim, you need a Police crime number, so really its down to get the Police involed. That is why I suggest getting the Right information across to the Police at the start, the weapon we need is a guide for all the BoS who are about to have the car removed or just had it taken.

Twoc, taking without consent, they claim to own the car, cos they have a BoS. Even that alone the police SHOULD look into the aligation. If they don't complain.

trooper68

Hi Trooper,

I agree with you.

Yes he would get a crime number from police.

He has already spoken to his insurance company, I advised him to see if they could help with a replacement car to safe guard his.

They advised not till they have removed the car, then they will act.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

I just wanted to give you a quick update on this. I got very very lucky. Turns out the guy that sold me the car is a decent sort and was unaware of the fact he had outstanding debt. He says he made a substantial payment to LBL after he sold me the car thinking that was the end of it but it wasn't. 6 months later he owed them a final settlement figure of around £4500. I think he has paid out over 9 grand on a £2100 loan in the space of 11 months. LBL are real scumbags!

But he has now made the payment and LBL have confirmed that they are simply waiting for the funds to clear and have cancelled the repossession order.

My wife had sent a letter after the vendor had been in touch with me and told them the bill of sale was void as it had been attested by an agent party to the sale. Vendor swore to me that only 2 parties were present at the transaction - him and the LBL agent so either the bill of sale or the Consumer Credit Agreement was void.

They have since replied challenging this and assuring us that they are fully licenced to trade - Sure thing LBL :cool:

Worked out well for us - we got lucky but there is no doubt, LBL are the lowest of the low. We will probably send off one final email playing the moral card and simply asking "how can you sleep at night?"

i wouldnt bother they wont read it, but great escape story cant beleive the guy you brought car from can afford 4.5k but still atleast they have stopped the repo must be a hell of a weight off your mind. Is the guy you brought from going to try and challenge now? if he is dont forget to point him to this forum...

I dont get how LBL can take the car anyway. LBL say that they register the car with HPI. If thats the case then surely the prev owner is protected.....

''If you've paid more than a third of your debt In this case, a creditor may try to get a 'Return Order' from the court, which forces you to return your goods. However, there must be a court hearing first (probably in your local County Court).''

Polpa

That sounds like great news,

But, just in case - you will need to be sure of a contingency... (i hope you don't need it though)

If he paid more than a third against the agreement with LBL - they cannot legally possess the car from him. (section 90, 91, 92 - CCA 1974) without a court order.

As he sold the car onto you whilst there was outstanding finance (that not even he was aware of by the sound of it) on it - if you are the first purchaser - the Hire Purchase Act 1964 protects you - because, so long as you were not aware of any outstanding finance when you bought the car - then at the point of sale; the lender lost his right to any alleged title in the vehicle by virtue of the actions taken by the guy who sold you the car.

I take great pleasure in posting the Act below for reference: (this section has not been repealed....

Part III Title to Motor Vehicles on Hire-Purchase or Conditional Sale

Annotations:

Amendments (Textual)

F1Part III substituted by Consumer Credit Act 1974 (c. 39, SIF 60), s. 192, Sch. 4 Pt. I para. 22

27 Protection of purchasers of motor vehicles

(1)This section applies where a motor vehicle has been bailed or (in Scotland) hired under a hire-purchase agreement, or has been agreed to be sold under a conditional sale agreement, and, before the property in the vehicle has become vested in the debtor, he disposes of the vehicle to another person.

(2)Where the disposition referred to in subsection (1) above is to a private purchaser, and he is a purchaser of the motor vehicle in good faith without notice of the hire-purchase or conditional sale agreement (the “relevant agreement”) that disposition shall have effect as if the creditor’s title to the vehicle has been vested in the debtor immediately before that disposition.

(3)Where the person to whom the disposition referred to in subsection (1) above is made (the “original purchaser”) is a trade or finance purchaser, then if the person who is the first private purchaser of the motor vehicle after that disposition (the “first private purchaser”) is a purchaser of the vehicle in good faith without notice of the relevant agreement, the disposition of the vehicle to the first private purchaser shall have effect as if the title of the creditor to the vehicle had been vested in the debtor immediately before he disposed of it to the original purchaser.

(4)Where, in a case within subsection (3) above—

(a)the disposition by which the first private purchaser becomes a purchaser of the motor vehicle in good faith without notice of the relevant agreement is itself a bailment or hiring under a hire-purchase agreement, and

(b)the person who is the creditor in relation to that agreement disposes of the vehicle to the first private purchaser, or a person claiming under him, by transferring to him the property in the vehicle in pursuance of a provision in the agreement in that behalf,

the disposition referred to in paragraph (b) above (whether or not the person to whom it is made is a purchaser in good faith without notice of the relevant agreement) shall as well as the disposition referred to in paragraph (a) above, have effect as mentioned in sub-section (3) above.

(5)The preceding provisions of this section apply—

(a)notwithstanding anything in [F1section 21 of the M1Sale of Goods Act 1979] (sale of goods by a person not the owner), but

(b)without prejudice to the provisions of the Factors Acts (as defined by [F2section 61(1) of the said Act of 1979] or of any other enactment enabling the apparent owner of goods to dispose of them as if he were the true owner.

(6)Nothing in this section shall exonerate the debtor from any liability (whether criminal or civil) to which he would be subject apart from this section; and, in a case where the debtor disposes of the motor vehicle to a trade or finance purchaser, nothing in this section shall exonerate—

(a)that trade or finance purchaser, or

(b)any other trade or finance purchaser who becomes a purchaser of the vehicle and is not a person claiming under the first private purchaser,

from any liability (whether criminal of civil) to which he would be subject apart from this section.

Annotations:

Amendments (Textual)

F1Words substituted by Sale of Goods Act 1979 (c. 54, SIF 109:1), s. 63, Sch. 2 para. 4(a)

F2Words substituted by Sale of Goods Act 1979 (c. 54, SIF 109:1), s. 63, Sch. 2 para. 4(b)

Marginal Citations

M11979 c. 54(109:1).

28 Presumptions relating to dealings with motor vehicles

(1)Where in any proceedings (whether criminal or civil) relating to a motor vehicle it is proved—

(a)that the vehicle was bailed or (in Scotland) hired under a hire-purchase agreement, or was agreed to be sold under a conditional sale agreement and

(b)that a person (whether a party to the proceedings or not) became a private purchaser of the vehicle in good faith without notice of the hire-purchase or conditional sale agreement (the “relevent agreement”),

this section shall have effect for the purposes of the operation of section 27 of this Act in relation to those proceedings.

(2)It shall be presumed for those purposes, unless the contrary is proved, that the disposition of the vehicle to the person referred to in subsection (1)(b) above (the “relevant purchaser”) was made by the debtor.

(3)If it is proved that that disposition was not made by the debtor, then it shall be presumed for those purposes, unless the contrary is proved—

(a)that the debtor disposed of the vehicle to a private purchaser purchasing in good faith without notice of the relevant agreement, and

(b)that the relevant purchaser is or was a person claiming under the person to whom the debtor so disposed of the vehicle.

(4)If it is proved that the disposition of the vehicle to the relevant purchaser was not made by the debtor, and that the person to whom the debtor disposed of the vehicle (the “original purchaser”) was a trade of finance purchaser, then it shall be presumed for those purposes, unless the contrary is proved,

(a)that the person who, after the disposition of the vehicle to the original purchaser, first became a private purchaser of the vehicle was a purchaser in good faith without notice of the relevant agreement, and

(b)that the relevant purchaser is or was a person claiming under the original purchaser.

(5)Without prejudice to any other method of proof, where in any proceedings a party thereto admits a fact, that fact shall, for the purposes of this section, be taken as against him to be proved in relation to those proceedings.

29 Interpretation of Part III

(1)In this Part of this Act—

• “conditional sale agreement” means an agreement for the sale of goods under which the purchase price or part of it is payable by instalments, and the property in the goods is to remain in the seller (notwithstanding that the buyer is to be in possession of the goods) until such conditions as to the payment of instalments or otherwise as may be specified in the agreement are fulfilled;
  • “creditor” means the person by whom goods are bailed or (in Scotland) hired under a hire-purchase agreement or as the case may be, the seller under a conditional sale agreement, or the person to whom his rights and duties have passed by assignment or operation of law;
  • “disposition”means any sale or contract of sale (including a conditional sale agreement), any bailment or (in Scotland) hiring under a hire-purchase agreement and any transfer of the property in goods in pursuance of a provision in that behalf contained in a hire-purchase agreement, and includes any transaction purporting to be a disposition (as so defined) and “dispose of” shall be construed accordingly;
  • “hire-purchase agreement” means an agreement, other than a conditional sale agreement, under which—

(a)goods are bailed or (in Scotland) hired in return for periodical payments by the person to whom they are bailed or hired, and

(b)the property in the goods will pass to that person if the terms of the agreement are complied with and one or more of the following occurs—

(i)the exercise of an option to purchase by that person,

(ii)the doing of any other specified act by any party to the agreement,

(iii)the happening of any other specified events; and

• “motor vehicle” means a mechnically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads to which the public has access.

(2)In this Part of this Act “trade or finance purchaser” means a purchaser who, at the time of the disposition made to him, carries on a business which consists, wholly or partly,—

(a)of purchasing motor vehicles for the purpose of offering or exposing them for sale, or

(b)of providing finance by purchasing motor vehicles for the purpose of bailing or (in Scotland) hiring them under hire-purchase agreements or agreeing to sell them under conditional sale agreements,

and “private purchaser” means a purchaser who, at the time of the disposition made to him, does not carry on any such business.

(3)For the purposes of this Part of this Act a person becomes a purchaser of a motor vehicle if, and at the time when, a disposition of the vehicle is made to him; and a person shall be taken to be a purchaser of a motor vehicle without notice of a hire-purchase agreement or conditional sale agreement if, at the time of the disposition made to him, he has no actual notice that the vehicle is or was the subject of any such agreement.

(4)In this Part of this Act the “debtor” in relation to a motor vehicle which has been bailed or hired under a hire-purchase agreement, or, as the case may be, agreed to be sold under a conditional sale agreement, means the person who at the material time (whether the agreement has before that time been terminated or not) either—

(a)is the person to whom the vehicle is bailed or hired under that agreement, or

(b)is, in relation to the agreement, the buyer,

including a person who at that time is, by virtue of section 130(4) of the M1Consumer Credit Act 1974 treated as a bailee or (in Scotland) a custodier of the vehicle.

(5)In this Part of this Act any reference to the title of the creditor to a motor vehicle which has been bailed or (in Scotland) hired under a hire-purchase agreement, or agreed to be sold under a conditional sale agreement, and is disposed of by the debtor, is a reference to such title (if any) to the vehicle as, immediately before that disposition, was vested in the person who then was the creditor in relation to the agreement.]

If this is not required by you (hopefully) then let's hope it can be of use to others : )

Apple

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Hi Apple,

I have spoken at length to Trading standards and I am correct about my previous post.

Please just take a look at the top of LBL CA it is a fixed sunlo9an agreement regulated by the CCA 1974.

Please take a look.

It is most deffinately not a hire purchase agreement.

It clearly states the type of loan it is. TS can confirm this.

We need to get the smallest of details right on this.

The regulations are different that govern them.

Its mainly because of the security of the BOS.

Good news though read info on the FIXED SUM AGREEMENT I think you will be very happy about some of the content.

Also they are in breach on the ref that thery can break in at any time to your property and take the care.TS again adviced me of that.

Please dont think me rude but it is so important.

Its very losely like a mortgage because of the BOS.

HP does not have that power.

The reg about the Good will doesnt apply to Fixed sum

Hi Nicky

Lets debate this.....

Your right, the lbl is not a HP Agreement - It is a fixed sum agreement.

But, whilst it is a 'fixed sum agreement' - it is still a 'conditional sale agreement' regulated by the CCA 1974.

Fixed sum - simply means that they have given you one fixed sum of money to be repaid over a fixed term.

"A conditional sale agreement looks from the outside like any completed contract – the seller sells the goods and the buyer receives them. However, conditional sale agreements involve a creditor selling goods to a consumer (the buyer), whilst withholding title to the goods until all payments have been made." (this is what LBL do by securing the Agreement by way of a Bill of Sale; the minor difference is that they sell you what you already own in order to gain the title, but tend not to tell you this - dodgy or what??)

"Typically, a retailer, the creditor's agent, will supply the goods to the consumer, while transferring title to the creditor. The creditor will pay his agent for the transfer of title. The consumer can use the goods while continuing to make periodic payments to the creditor. On paying the final instalment, title passes from the creditor to the consumer. " (Log ook Loans happily allow you to keep your vehicle - whilst you pay them for the priviledge, whilst they retain 'title' - Hope this now clarifies my point?)

"Conditional sale or Hire purchase?

Traditionally, conditional sale agreements have been regulated in parallel with hire-purchase agreements. If there has been a difference between them, it is purely that under hire-purchase, the consumer is under no obligation to take title to the goods, whereas under conditional sale, transfer of title is automatic upon the completion of the condition (usually of course, the full payment of the goods)." (this should now cement my point)

Therefore Nicky - The Good faith statute law that Trooper and Pacman debated earlier..... applies for conditional sale agreements (as well as HP ones)

I am more than clear.........Log Book Loans Agreements ARE DEFINATELY 'Conditional Sale Agreements' - a consequence of this fact for Log Book Loans is that the Hire Purchase Act 1964 protects the first purchaser who has unwittingly purchased a car where it is found that they have not been made aware of lbl's financial interest at the point of sale and we have seen - they are not even made aware for some months later either.

Don't be confused, the definition of a conditional sale agreement is easily found by a 'google' search.

For further clarification - please see the OFT booklet: