Council Tax Liability and Bankruptcy

milli0973
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

typoIn 2011 I went into bankruptcy, I “gave up” some buy to let properties as they went into the BR pot.

After approx 12 months I was discharged.

One such property, in negative equity, the lender appointed an LPA Receiver and any council tax arrears as a result of the property being empty and unrented were paid by the lender, please see below a breakdown of payments, after my discharge from bankruptcy:

31.10.14 - £564.66

09.07.15 - £341.41

09.02.16 - £486.00

The property is not deemed to be Mortagee in Possession whereby the lender is liable for the council tax, however the lender is indeed acting as mortgagee in possession. Furthermore I have had no dealings or say in the rental or potential sale.

Do I have a case to prepare to take to court?

Edited by milli0973
typo

Any charge pre-bankruptcy is fine as it was covered by the bankruptcy.

On a re-possessed property you remain liable as the legal owner for the Council Tax charge until the property is sold on or re-occupied.

You should claim a Class L exemption from the date of the re-possession and that would need to be claimed for any period in which the property was unoccupied between the date of re-possession and any sale.

http://www.lgfa92.co.uk/council-tax-repossession-class-l-exemptions