• Tweets

• Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
    • @Whyisitthisthank you very much for asking. I am still feeling anxious, especially when someone rings the doorbell, or when I receive a letter I feel a it paranoid. I stopped going to the shops unless I really have to. I shop online now. When I see security I feel paralised. 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Excel/BW claimform - PCN Swansea SA1 2012

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They know nothing of the circumstance surrounding the event,

they have just taken a load of old paperwork out of the recycling bin and posted it out instead.

Pre POFA so a short letter saying that as the registered keeper of the vehicle in question you have no liability in this matter and you dont know who the driver was at the time.

They are sending out hundreds of these fishing letters in the hope some will pay up

and others drop themselves in it and make a claim possible.

Do not explain or justify yourself in any way,

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

In short,

BW cant do anything unless their client instructs them to and then they only do what they are paid to do.

Will excel be stupid enough to try their luck?

I doubt it as both they and BW know that Elliott v Loake is irrelevant to this matter

but like threatening a Norwich Pharmacal order to force you to name the driver

they think that by quoting these cases you will be so scared or impressed that you will now pay up.

Funny how when these things to get to court

they never ever quote the same case law they use in the threatograms.

likewise no point quoting the PoFA,

they know that it isnt applicable and there is no keeper liability,

that is why they use the shotgun approach to other case law.

• 3 months later...

How do they know what their client will do if they havent already been told?

Psychic powers?

BWL hope that their client takes that step as they get paid whether Excel win or lose.

Trev has lost a few of these more speculative claims on no keeper liability alone so he wont be in a hurry to throw more money at it.

slight update since then.

I received another letter from them in October saying that it was my last chance to settle before their client WILL instruct them to take legal action.

Haven't heard anything since, but if i do get some kind of court papers through i will be back in touch.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 months later...

they are not only rubbish solicitors but also rubbish clairvoyants.

They cant tell what thir client will do on a certain date but i will also offer a view of the future.

They will lose a court claim if they make one.

Dont bother responding, Excel have taken a bit of a beating in court recently on defended claims so BW are probably sending out a letter for free to kiss and make up with them for costing them money for their last day out.

Expect a letter saying you have won the Canadian lottery, all you have to do is pay them a £160 admin fee and the prize is yours I always wondered how they got peoples names and addresses, perhaps there is a link?

The saga continues.

Another letter from BW Legal saying "Letter of claim" on it, but all it is, is another letter demanding the same amount of money by 6th of March 2017 or their client WILL instruct them to take legal action :violin:

they said in their letter last year that was the last chance before they took legal action.

Im of the opinion they know its pre POFA and I have no liability and are just continuing to try their luck and are now putting "Letter of Claim" across the top to make people think its at a more serious stage or something?

my intentions are to ignore?

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

first thing to do is acknowledge the claim.

Best done online at moneyclaimonline.

That way you can keep an eye on the clock for when they have to do the next bit.

Then you have an extra fortnight to submit a skeleton defence.

In this time you send off a CPR 31.14 request to BWL demanding sight of their contract with the landowner that assigns the right to enter into contracts with the public and to make civil claims in their own name.

Also ask for sight of the planning permission for their signage under the Town and Country Planning Act 2007.

Lastly you ask for strict proof of who the driver was at the time and copies of any notices or correspondence issued by their client.

Give the 14 days to respond.

They wont so you can add this failure to follow procedure and show evidence of a cause for action in your skeleton defence and ask for the claim to be struck out (on several grounds )

That will force the to either discontinue or risk a costs order, which will be your next request to court.

Get cracking so they are damned whichever way they go.

once you tick the defend in full you automatically get another 14 days added to the existing fortnight from the date of issue.

You don't have to apply,

all you need to do is get a few bullet points in the relevant spot and it progresses to the next bit.

The reason you aren't doing that now is you want to hit them when they don't follow the court procedures regarding the CPR information request.

If you delay sending that to the solicitors you will run yourself out of time so get a move on with the CPR 31.14 and the ack of service .

Ok perfect. Thanks.

Just to confirm.

Tick the option to dispute the whole claim.

Then shall I apply for the 28 days?

The extra time to prepare defence part?

they are hoping you are bricking it and are going to pay up.

If you dont their client will lose some more money and they will both look stupid.

Later on you should consider asking the court for a full expenses order for their unreasonableness

(ie they know that pre-POFA they have to show strict proof of driver identity) under CPR 27.4.2(g)

You may be asking for a striking out of the claim anyway,

wait until you get the directions questionnaire and the go for that as the claim is too vague as to be viable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you will get another letter telling you that the small claims track is the appropriate one and the matter will be sent to your local county court.

Everything else will then come from there.

Once the locol court is allocated it becomes worthwhile writing to them to get the claim struck out on procedural grounds and for having no chance of success etc.

of course they will accept mediation in the hiope that you offer to pay something or they

(1) look stupid (easy for them to do because they are stupid) and

(2) they are losing money on this nad hope that some settlement is agreed so they avoid point 1

As you say, the courts will send you the proper form and if you dont accept mediation then it doesnt happen, the system doesnt think any less of you for saying no. It isnt appropriate in your case anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

the directions will no doubt be aimed at Excel to prove they have a claim or shut up.

You may be asked to provide some evidence that you have mentioned in your skeleton

such as why you believ they have no claim against you

( had that once when I sued my next door neighbours landlord (housing association) when the tenant burnt my fence and garden shed down by accident.

The LL was happy to settle if they believed that I was using the right laws to sue.

Once I quoted a couple of relevent cases the judge said that was enough and that would I accept the full claim without a judgement being entered against the defendant. saved a lot of time and on th HA's side money as well)

• 3 weeks later...

on the 23rd july you post your WS and evidence bundle to the court and to BWL.

That is a sunday so post the court lot on the friday and BWL's on the monday first class recorded.

With a bit of luck they will refuse to sign for it and drop themselves in it as then they wont be able to peep at your homework and use it to make up their new version of events and thus file theirs late.

The RM log will show refused delivery and that isnt a reason to complaint to court about not receiving it but you will be able to say they didnt send theirs on time.

You could but you may not get a response so adding a request with the paperwork you have to send would at least get read by the same judge.

As it is nothing to do with POFA that isnt a reason for a strike out so you wont be asking for that.

A strike out would be on the grounds of Excel failing to show Locus standi and not providing evidence that they have "strict proof" of any cause for action against the defendant as he was not the driver at the time.

The difference betwen this and what you have suggested is on the face of it fairly small but huge in legal terms.

Your POFA bit is one for the day, they will argue that Elliot v Loake and CPS v AJH Films allpy when they dont, they both concern criminal matters and any way in the latter the driver was a "servant" so unless you have a chauffeur that is irrelevant.

a separate request yes but get the wording right.

Look up "locus standi" and "strict proof".

When you say they havent provided documentation you must say that this was asked for as discovery under CPR 31.14 and asked for to determine their right to make a claim and show a cause for action against the defendant.

these are things they cannot do regardless of whether the request was complied with so there is a good chance they will be asked to explain themselves as a CMO or at the very beginning of the hearing and get told to sod off when they cant answer.

You are not making a vague request without a reason behid it so use the correct terminology where appropriate and your chances of success are increased massively.

Look at the pranksters latest blog and quote those cases to show they are abusing the court process by pursuing hopeless cases when they know they have no cause to do so.

I would suggets that you dont say you cant remember who was driving, just state there is no keeper liability and you put it to strict proof theat they identify the driver at the time.

have you got photographs of the signage as it is now? Reason i ask is because they may well try pulling the wool over people's eyes and claim they are the same as they wee then. The IPC didnt exist back then so your pictures can rebut their evidence if they try that one on.

your WS will say that you are the defendant and then lay out the facts and your statement of why you dont owe them money

So begin by numbering the points you want to address such as

1. The defendant denies that any contract exists between the claimant, Excel parking and the defendant and they have failed to show a cause for action aginst the defendant by way of showing they have an assignment of the landowner giving them the right to enter into contracts with the public and to make civil claims in their own name.

2. As there is no keepr liability in this manner it is put to Excel to show strict proof as to who was driving at the time as the defendant denies being the driver.

3. The claim itself fails to properly fulfil the requirements of CPR 16.4 at is is unclear how the claim is made up, why the defendant is liable and nor whether it is damages for a breach of contract or a contractual sum. The claim also includes an element of costs that are not recoverable in the small claims process.

4. s the event is pre POFA (oct 2012) no liability has been transferred to the the keeper so there is no cause for action against the defendant in that capacity and without proof of who was driving at the time, no evidence of any actionable cause at all against the defendant.

5. Excel have made a number of unsubstiantiated claims in the courts and are abusing the court process as a method of intimidation or coercion rather than for collecting monies they have proper entitlement to. I cite claim numbers xxxyyyxxx ( list a load of previous cases that involve pre 2012 claims that got chucked out and then have the full detail as part of your document bundle). Excel have offered no evidence that their claim is a genuine one

6. Excel did not issue a notice of their claim or an invoice at the time, the first the defendant knew about this matter was a demand dated the xxth mon 2016/7 and the plaintiffs have failed to respond to requests for a full breakbown of how the demand came about. This means the defendant could not agree or dispute the claim before court action was taken by the plaintiff and is still unclear as to what exactly the cause for action is. Again this is an abuse of the court process.

There will be more about the site itself but that will have to wait for you to produce a load of pictures, proof planning permissionwast given and all the other things you should have read up on.