Renault kango van issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bit of advice needed, I bought a van via eBay for about 3.5k described as nice driver from a private seller

Picked up Monday and when put under load stop light flicks up and goes off

I did test drive before buying but this was round the block

Today on the motorway the engine management light comes on with a fault relating to the fuel system

I messaged the seller about it yesterday , he said it had been standing for a month so might be that

Do I have any recourse , from what I can see if it's described as a good drive this is mis representation ?

Firstly, are you sure that is a private seller? If you check his feedback and find that he sells more than he buys – and in particular if his other items have been vehicle related, then you have a good basis for saying that he is a trader – maybe posing as a private seller.

Anyway, even if he is a private seller, I still think that you are entitled for £3500 to have a van in reasonable condition. Why don't you post the link to the auction and we can have look.

You know where he lives et cetera?

I think that there is very little doubt that he is a dealer. He selling a variety of different car parts relating to different models. There are one or two cars as well. There is variety of clothing – different sizes clearly fitting a number of different people. He may not be a car dealer but he certainly an eBay dealer and he may be posing as a private seller. I wonder if he pays tax on his income?

I would suggest that you take screenshots of all his feedback and also of the items that he presently has the sale. How far as he away from you?

Of course, it is quite likely that he will deny being an eBay dealer, but that may as well be the basis of your position.

On that basis you are protected by the consumer rights act in this means that you have a 30 day short-term right to reject. If you want to reject the vehicle then you should give him notice in writing immediately – sent registered post, rather than recorded that the vehicle is defective and that you are exercising your short-term right to reject and that you want to organise a full refund.

On the other hand, if you want to hang onto the vehicle that you simply want him to pay for the repairs, then I would still serve him with the 30 day notice to preserve your position but I would go on to get a diagnosis and a quotation for putting the car into good order.

How long has he owned the vehicle? You should be to tell from the paperwork.

I think that there is very little doubt that he is a dealer

There is absolutely no evidence on his e bay record that he is a car dealer or e bay dealer come to that. It all looks perfectly reasonable to me. He buys far more than he sells.

A retired Detective Chief Inspector once told me "just because you see a man in a pub throw an empty packet of cigarettes on the fire does not mean he smokes".

Think about it!!!

As a private buyer and private seller unfortunately it's a case of caveat emptor, buyer beware which basically means no recourse unless grossly mis advertised.

However it might not be as bad as it seems. You need to describe the warning light that flashes on under acceleration. There could be multiple reasons for this such as low brake fluid which will flash under these circumstances, if the car is euro 6 emissions, the ad blue light, if been standing and a diesel it might need a DPF regeneration ( very fast run up a motorway)

Other aspects for the fuel light can be just a blocked fuel filter or the water in fuel indicator if fitted. Blocked fuel filters have been an issue across all manufacturers for the last few years especially if the car has stood for a while.

I think you need to either describe exactly what lights flash up and when and take it to someone who can read the DTC codes that are registered when this happens.

Until you do this it's very much a case of much ado about nothing but as usual some members think they are experts in this field who actually know nothing and are far too quick to jump to conclusions which leads to mis interpretation.

I ve read the codes and they relate to the fuel system, specifically small leak fuel system , might be an injector .

It had been serviced recently with a new fuel filter fitted.

The ad states a great drive , with these faults coming up its not

I think that there is very little doubt that he is a dealer. .

There is absolutely no evidence on his e bay record that he is a car dealer or e bay dealer come to that. It all looks perfectly reasonable to me. He buys far more than he sells.

A retired Detective Chief Inspector once told me "just because you see a man in a pub throw an empty packet of cigarettes on the fire does not mean he smokes".

Think about it!!!

Sorry, I have to side with Bankfodder here. There are far too many parts to have either been given them or just happen to be in his shed. You don't just happen to have:

JOBLOT BULK WHOLESALE GENUINE OE FORD POLLEN FILTERS NEW x19 FOCUS C-MAX MONDEO (#251528531058)

JOBLOT BULK WHOLESALE GENUINE OE FORD POLLEN FILTERS NEW x29 FOCUS C-MAX MONDEO (#251528526130)

JOB LOT 9 GENUINE FORD CABIN POLLEN FILTERS FOCUS MONDEO GALAXY FIESTA SMAX CMAX (#251453336289)

Just lying around in the attic. And there are many many sales of this nature. So to me he appears as a business and should be treated as such.

Edited by Conniff

Well on my search this doesn't appear but you also have to consider the time line .

Further, the OP doesn't think he is a dealer.

There is a big difference between a dealer in the motor trade and a dealer on e bay with other items.

I believe as far as trading standards are concerned a dealer is one who sells in excess of x number of cars

over a period of x number of months irrespective of the medium they are sold through.

Further, one would have to prove he is a trader in motor vehicles.

He might well be a trader in other items but the law is very different depending on the item for sale.

CONSUMER CONTRACTS FOR GOODS, DIGITAL CONTENT AND SERVICES.

“Trader” means a person acting for purposes relating to that person’s trade,

business, craft or profession, whether acting personally or through another

person acting in the trader’s name or on the trader’s behalf."

" A trader claiming that an individual was not acting for purposes wholly or

mainly outside the individual’s trade, business, craft or profession must prove

it."

This man has too much stuff to sell so he is either buying it in or being given it by the company he

works for to sell for them in the hope he is classed as a private person and not a trader so there is no comeback on them.

That brings him into the relms of Trader.

Edited by Conniff