Think I was ripped off when px my car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I part exchanged my car yesterday and about an hour of driving the new one I felt it wasn't driving well. Not sure what the problem was but I just wasn't happy with it. I drove back to the dealer and requested to have my old car back.

They told me I wouldn't get the £99 administration fee back as it was non refundable but also that they would give me £100 less from the extra money I had paid on top of my car as they had already cleaned my car and listed it for sale which had cost them money. I left £199 short but couldn't really say anything as I'm not sure of my rights on this. Can they do this?

Hi

The consumer rights act is your friend here. you are entitled to a full refund if a car is faulty within 30 days of purchase so 1 hour of use certainly qualifies.

If you can record a call, ring them and get it on 'tape' otherwise write and tell them you want a full refund of the amount outstanding or court action will follow

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi

The consumer rights act is your friend here. you are entitled to a full refund if a car is faulty within 30 days of purchase so 1 hour of use certainly qualifies.

If you can record a call, ring them and get it on 'tape' otherwise write and tell them you want a full refund of the amount outstanding or court action will follow

What about if I just changed my mind?

Do I have to lose this money?

Also.. They said they returned my car manual and wallet but it's not in the car and they are telling me they put it in there. I'm starting to think they've taken it to use for the other Volvo in the lot. This whole episode has been a complete nightmare.

Ps.. The mot the dealership gave the car was completely dodgy and had something to do with my decision to reject it. Basically the faults on the mot previous to theirs.. Which they did 8 months before it was due to run out were still present on the car despite their new mot not showing any faults. Also the car engine warning light began to show when I was driving the car back. I spoke to the consumer rights advice line who told me it was up to me to prove the car was faulty and that the fault didn't occur whilst I owned the car. So for such a dodgy company as theirs.. I'm sure they'd manage to worm their way out of it. What gets me is that some poor bugger will buy that car and when I comes to the mot, will have a big bill to pay for just because the dealer wanted to make a few more quid

As I see it, this makes no difference. You felt there was something not right so you took it back. There is no way an admin fee of £99 can be right nor can £100 for a clean be correct either.

I have moved your thread to our motoring forum. More experienced people here will offer more advice (hopefully)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I believe that they are within their rights to charge for betterment but I cannot see that they could have valeted or cleaned the car within the alleged hour. Ask them to prove it. Of course it is area dependent so if central London this would not be unreasonable as opposed to say north Yorkshire. You need to be a bit careful about the MOT as it sounds like advisories which are not the same as fails. Advisories can go on for a number of years depending on what they are. For example, my Focus gets the same advisories every year but it has yet to fail. One day it will but until they do or the tester considers them too bad to continue that is what they will be, advisory.

Irrespective of what has been done to the car, you are entitled by regulation to a full refund. If the px car has been sold and a nice profit made on it, you are also entitled to that profit as well.

Edited by Conniff

I'm not so sure you are correct Conniff as if what you say is true a dealer could take in part ex a wreck, spend a load of money on it and sell it at a small profit and then under the law as you portray it the original owner 5 months later can reject and claim the profit,.....I don't think so???

I know I read that in the regulations somewhere and am trying to find it again. I will put up a link when I do.

There is no guidance on this in the new regulations, so will dig into the older other acts.

Edited by Conniff

Basically they had the guy who works on the yard give it a once over with the Hoover.

The mot was done so that any buyer looking at a car with no advisories wouldn't be put off when looking at that car so for me it has an impact on my descision to buy the car or not. Anyway,I think it's up to me to prove the car was faulty and I'm a bit concerned they will just make the car disappear or even sell it if I attempt to take them to court. Or they could just deny everything and say I have it back because I changed my mind. I'll give it a go anyway. Does anyone know the procedure for claiming my money back please?

One of the problems here is that the OP's opinion is that it is faulty without stating what he thinks the faults are. Irrespective of the new regulations the sellar still has to be given the right to rectify and so far we don't know what is wrong. It's all pointing to buyer remorse at the moment !!