Overdraft Fee

Arfur Bittah
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been looking through my bank statements over the last six years and I find that I have been charged an overdraft fee of £25 and on top of that an excess overdraft fee of £124on numerous occasions Can I claim all of these back which amont to about £1100 over the last five years.I was also charged an overdraft arrangement fee last year when they re-negotiated my overdraft limit by phone.Can I claim this back.Can I also claim interest on this money over the last five years.Any advice would be helpful as I am only a pensioner and finding it hard now to make ends meet.Thanks to a wonderful web site

hi AB, do you know the nature of the overdraft fee of £25? if it was an arrangement fee then you can't claim it back (which answers your second question) but if it was a penalty for going overdrawn then claim it. Also claim the excess overdraft fees.

when you have written to your bank twice, and given them a total of 28 days to refund your money, you may start up a court claim. At that point you can add 8% county court interest to your claim, from the date of each charge until the date of settlement.

all the best

Thanks Bong for your kind reply.Yes there was an arrangement fee when a customer representative phoned me to inform me that I was overdrawn.They sent me a letter stating that there was a fee for increasing the overdraft from £200 TO £500.I haven't ,as you mention claimed this but intend as you say to claim the overdraft fees back.Altogether there has been 13 debits of £25 for overdraft fee and 11 debits ranging from £9 to £124 for excessive overdraft fees.I take it that these are the amounts to claim back?

Thanks Bong for your kind reply.Yes there was an arrangement fee when a customer representative phoned me to inform me that I was overdrawn.They sent me a letter stating that there was a fee for increasing the overdraft from £200 TO £500.I haven't ,as you mention claimed this but intend as you say to claim the overdraft fees back.Altogether there has been 13 debits of £25 for overdraft fee and 11 debits ranging from £9 to £124 for excessive overdraft fees.I take it that these are the amounts to claim back?

claim back all the £25 fees and all the other fees you've mentioned ranging from £9 to £124. The only one you can't reclaim is the one-off fee for arranging to increase your overdraft limit.