UK overpayment coming back to haunt us

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My earlier thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?376743-UK-employer-overpaid-now-in-US - quick summary: employer overpaid in UK, tried to set up an agreement after dispute over amount owed, debt sold to UK debt collector before negotiations complete, wrote to debt collector declining to deal with them, heard no more.

Three years later and we have a new letter from a US debt collector for this money owed (note: I agree we might owe something but I'm not at all convinced of the amount, and it seems neither are they given the wildly varying figures they came up with each time). It appears to be a standard "this is what you owe, send us a check [cheque]". It came directly to our current address, the latter of which is different from previous communications.

The letter makes no mention that it is a UK debt, and the "date of debt" field is blank. The amount owed roughly converts to the last figure the employer quoted. It says we should notify within 30 days of the validity of the debt.

Some questions: when is the date of debt calculated? Either this debt collector doesn't know, or is trying to hide the fact the statute of limitations in this US state expires in ~6 months depending when it's calculated. Is the demand valid given the lack of a date?

I read recently that the rules on overseas debts have changed in the last few years. Can US debt collectors chase UK debts yet?

Firstly I will write to the debt collector indicating that I dispute the validity of the debt. After that... not sure.

I appreciate this is a UK forum and some questions are specifically US but any help appreciated.