• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Please help! Xercise 4 Less/Harlands/CRS trying to scare a pregnant lady here!

elviekay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Elvie and welcome to CAG

As said above, you must stay OFF the phone as you will hear nothing at all that will help you. If Harlands/CRS call you, just tell the IN WRITING ONLY, then hang up !!

To answer your Q's above :-

1. Harlands/CRS are the same outfit but they pretend that CRS is a separate entity. The alleged debt has not been sold, nor is it ever likely to be.

2. Yes, we maintain that cancelling the DD was adequate notice of intent to cancel.

3. Makes no difference if you used the gym or not.

4. We always advise that you challenge, and do not pay, their admin fees as they are unenforceable penalties.

5. Offering to pay a months fee for the notice period is right.

6. As Harlands/CRS are the same, you will NOT speak to them to offer fees to settle the matter.

We can help you with a brief letter to send to Harlands and I'll post this up shortly.

:-)

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Elvie,

Can you please confirm the date you cancelled the DD mandate.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

If you cancelled the DD in early August, it would appear that they failed to take the July DD for some reason. Can you think of any reason for this ?

The payment they tried to take in Aug of £39.99 would be £14.99 gym fee plus £25 admin fee for a missed fee. No matter, as that's a minor issue. Let us know about this before you send this letter as it may need altering.

Letter to Harlands and get a free Certificate of Posting at the PO :-

Dear Harlands,

Xercise4Less Gym in [town or city]

I refer to my membership at the above gym earlier this year.

I will only deal with this matter in writing and require that you do not phone me or send text or SMS messages. I am pregnant and, after miscarrying earlier this year, I do not need the stress of being hounded by Harlands/CRS with demands for ridiculously high payments.

I can see no reason why you failed to take the DD payment due at the end of July. Is there any reason for this as my bank confirms you failed to seek the DD payment.

I had to cancel my membership in early August, when I was made redundant (employer went bust) and I found I was pregnant again.

I am willing to offer you £14.99 for the months notice I should have given you when I cancelled the DD mandate. If you confirm in writing within 14 days that you'll accept my payment in full settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you.

I will not pay you any admin fees that you have added.

If you insist I pay admin fees, I will not pay you anything.

Yours faithfully,

No need to say any more at this stage.

Hi Elvie,

If Harlands failed to take the July DD, that's their problem really.

Just send the letter as it is, and let us know how they reply.

Hi Elvie,

Ok, hold off from sending the letter until we get this right ..............

You cancelled the DD on 30th August, not the 7th so I assume they tried to take a DD around 26th August. Did they take £14.99; or £14.99 + admin fee of £25.00 = £39.99. Or did your bank not pay them.

And what about the July payment - did you ask the bank about this, and whether Harlands attempted to take a DD at the end of July.

I'll be back later today and we'll get the letter sorted then .............

Edited by slick132
34.99 changed to 39.99 cos I can't add up !!

I've just corrected the figure in my last post, from £34.99 to £39.99. A simple error on my part. :oops:

Did the bank say WHY the July DD was not paid.

They tried to take £39.99 (14.99 = 25.00 admin fee) on 7th August. Do you know why this was not paid because the DD mandate was still active.

I assume they didn't try to take money on 26th August because the 2 DD's they tried to collect previously had failed and they considered the membership to be suspended.

Ah, right - that makes perfect sense now.

I've re-written the letter to reflect what happened and this can be sent off now. Take it to the PO to get your free Certificate of Posting.

Dear Harlands,

Xercise4Less Gym in [town or city]

I refer to my membership at the above gym earlier this year.

I will only deal with this matter in writing and require that you do not phone me or send text or SMS messages. I am pregnant and, after miscarrying earlier this year, I do not need the stress of being hounded by Harlands/CRS with demands for ridiculously high amounts.

I had to cancel my membership in August, after I was made redundant (employer went bust) and I found I was pregnant again.

I've now found that my bank didn't pay you the July and August DD payments and I now offer to pay you £29.98 for these 2 months. If you confirm in writing within 14 days that you'll accept my payment in full settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you.

I will not pay any admin fees that you have added.

Yours faithfully,

That'll do for now.

We normally recommend using written letters but, if they've confirmed receipt of your email, that is sufficient to prove they received it.

However, the other reason to avoid emails is Harlands/CRS will fire back emails replies far quicker than if they write to you. Hence you end up playing email ping-pong with them and this will not work in your interests.

You can hand-write a letter and keep a photocopy if you can't print one on your own or a friend's computer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Elvie,

I'd ignore Harlands for now and write instead to X4Less :-

Dear sir or madam,

Membership at [town or city] gym

I enclose a copy of my letter sent to Harlands/CRS on xxdate, the content being self-explanatory.

CRS have replied demanding sight of personal documents and said they will not process the cancellation until I provide the documents.

I do not need any stress at this time for obvious reasons and I am not happy that Harlands/CRS have taken 3 weeks to reply, expecting me to pay throughout this time.

Please tell Harlands to cancel my membership with immediate effect and make no further demands.

If they continue to bother me, I will make the loudest of complaints to the appropriate authorites and Xercise4Less will be included as it is you that engage the services of Harlands. Their reputation for harassing gym members is terrible.

Yours faithfully,

Hi Elvie,

I think the Watchdog exposure will make X4Less a bit more aware of how badly their reputation is being damaged by Harlands/CRS.

That's why i suggested a letter to X4Less after the Watchdog prog.

Hi Elvie,

Did the letter go to X4Less Head Office or the local gym.

You're entitled to a written reply and you're right to avoid any calls from Harlands/CRS or X4Less.

The letter went to X4Less Head Office which is great.

Just wait for them to reply properly and ignore Harlands/CRS for now.

Hi Elvie,

There's no reason for you to be stressed about this.

Simply ignore all contact from CRS until Harlands reply properly. Make a list on paper of each contact from Harlands/CRS, noting the type of contact.

If Harlands don't reply to you, that's THEIR problem.

Hi Elvie,

If you want to discuss your partner's case, start a new thread so the 2 cases don't get confused.

Tell X4Less by Twitter that you wrote to them on xxdate and you will await their written reply. And, if they are happy for happy for Harlands and CRS to continue to add admin fees while you await their written reply, that is a bad reflection on the way they allow their customers to be treated by their chosen admin company.

Edited by slick132

Hi Elvie,

Please now send a letter to X4Less Head Office again enclosing copies of the letters in posts #15 and #23.

Dear Xercise4Less,

Membership at [town/city] gym

I enclose copies of my letter to Harlands of xxdate and of my letter to X4Less Head Office of xxdate.

On your Twitter feed, you claim not to have received the letter I sent to you. However, I have proof that you received my letter and I was contacted by one of your staff members who wanted to discuss my letter.

I reiterate - I am pregnant and I do not need any stress at all.

Harlands have been slow to respond to my letters yet expect me to pay fees and admin charges while they delay replying to me.

Xercise4Less have failed to reply at all to the letter I sent you.

I now need your confirmation that my cancellation is effective from the date I made it in August.

Harlands failed to accept the offer I made to end the matter and that offer was withdrawn after 14 days.

If you fail to stop Harlands/CRS making further demands, I will make formal complaints to Trading Standards and to the CMA. I will also complain to BBC Watchdog about Xercise4Less using Harlands/CRS to harass a pregnant woman who is vulnerable.

I require your considered written reply within 14 days.

Yours faithfully,

Elvikay

Get a free Certificate of Posting at the post office when you send this and keep the Certificate.

Hi Elvie,

This is a good opportunity to end the matter quickly and cheaply, so you have no more hassle about the gym m/ship.

Call, them, pay the amount agreed and focus on more important matters !!

Check your next bank statement ao make sure you've paid no more than agreed, but I'm sure this will be ok.

Hi Elvie,

I hope you can now leave this nonsense behind and thanks for whatever Site Donation you can manage.