• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

LA gym --> Pure Gym -cancellation rights?

nottslad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Wondered if anyone could help re the cancellation of gym membership.

LA have been taken over by Pure Gym. As a result of this, my club's pool will be closing on Wednesday so they can fill it in and put more gym equipment in. Essentially this means that the gym will become just another run of the mill cheap gym.

I pay through salary sacrifice, and despite sending copies of the correspondence from LA/Pure confirming what is happening, they are refusing to cancel the membership. This is leaving me paying over the odds for a gym I didn't sign up to.

The term's and conditions have nothing around this, but surely as the service becomes different to what was originally purchased then there should be a force majeure type clause.

I have mentioned I may go to Trading Standards but could do with some advice please guys?

Hi Notts,

1. When did you join the LAF gym.

2. When was the takeover by Pure.

3. Who is refusing to "cancel the membership".

I am confident you can cancel the gym agreement due to the gym failing to provide a key aspect of the service that you previously enjoyed.

We'll draft a simple letter for you if you want, when you answer the Q's above.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi slick

Joined in April

The takeover happened last month, and was due to LA being in Admin previously

The refusal is coming from Gymflex who administer the payroll gym membership (I work for a big 6 energy supplier hence helping out in that forum!) - see below the email from them....

"Good Afternoon Tim

LA Fitness are notifying us of the full club closure with at least 30 days. We are not receiving notice of partial changes made within club whilst they are still open.

For annual members the offer of cancellation from LA Fitness is only being offered once the club fully closes, the refund of remaining months will then be returned to your employer so that salary deductions can be amended.

Kind regards,

Rachel Hayes"

The pool closes on Wednesday so as I say from that date on it becomes a cheapo gym, so why hould I pay £30 for a £15 a month gym

Hi Notts,

Can you check the 1st sentence of the text msg above - I doesn't make sense to me at the mo. If there's nothing missing, could you instead tell us what they mean exactly.

They are wrong to deny you the right to cancel until the club fully closes. If a key facility such as the pool is closed, and that's a major reason you use the gym, then you can cancel as soon as the pool is closed.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Sorry for the confusion...

LA fitness went into Administration and Pure Gym have bought them out from the Administrator.

In terms of the email from GymFlex who administer the scheme, what she is trying to say is that the gym hasn't officially gone over to Pure as of yet, despite the fact the Pool, Sauna and Steam Room will be closed from Wednesday, I think she is trying to say that as she hasn't heard anything it's not an issue so the membership carries on on the agreed terms

Hi Notts and thanks for clarifying.

Regardless of anything else, if key facilities that you used are being withdrawn, you have the right to cancel and seek cancellation with :-

1. A pro-rata refund for the unused portion of any annual fee paid up-front, or ......

2. No further monthly fees payable in the event of you paying monthly.

Hi Slick, thanks for your advice. I emailed them back and haven't heard anything thus far, so I emailed again today - hope you don't mind me copying your reply in my email... I emailed the following:

Hi Rachel

Further to the below I haven't received a response from you. I have consulted with an expert in these matters and their stance on this is as follows:

"Regardless of anything else, if key facilities that you used are being withdrawn, you have the right to cancel and seek cancellation with :-

1. A pro-rata refund for the unused portion of any annual fee paid up-front, or ......

2. No further monthly fees payable in the event of you paying monthly."

Clearly the provision of services form the contract, whether that exists between me and Gymflex or me and LA Fitness, however the scheme is administered is not the primary concern surrounding the contract. As you know the going rate for a gym such as Pure Gym is considerably less than the prevailing rate charges by gyms with greater facilities.

Allowing the services and facilities provided to be significantly changed without the option of cancellation of the contract at the earliest possible date of the changes taking effect is an unfair contract terms and would be in breach of the consumer protection from unfair contract terms regulations.

In particular, I would like to draw your attention to the following extract from the guidance; I have highlighted the most pertinent areas:

Group 10: Supplier's right to vary terms generally – paragraph 1(j) of Schedule 2 Schedule 2, paragraph 1, states that terms may be unfair if they have the object or effect of: (j) enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract. 10.1 A right for one party to alter the terms of the contract after it has been agreed, regardless of the consent of the other party, is under strong suspicion of unfairness. A contract can be considered balanced only if both parties are bound by their obligations as agreed. 10.2 If a term could be used to force the consumer to accept increased costs or penalties, new requirements, or reduced benefits, it is likely to be considered unfair whether or not it is meant to be used in that way. A variation clause can upset the legal balance of the contract even though it was intended solely to facilitate minor adjustments, if its wording means it could be used to impose more substantial changes. This applies to terms giving the supplier the right to make corrections to contracts at its discretion and without liability. 10.3 Such a term is more likely to be found fair if: (a) it is narrowed in effect, so that it cannot be used to change the balance of advantage under the contract – for example, allowing variations to reflect changes in the law, to meet regulatory requirements or to reflect new industry guidance and codes of practice which are likely to raise standards of consumer protection (b) it can be exercised only for reasons stated in the contract which are clear and specific enough to ensure the power to vary cannot be used at will to suit the interests of the supplier, or unexpectedly to consumers (see paragraph 11.5) Unfair contract terms guidance 53 © there is a duty on the supplier to give notice of any variation, and a right for the consumer to cancel before being affected by it, without penalty or otherwise being worse off for having entered the contract.

I therefore suggest that you revert to Pure Gym / LA fitness with the above, or ask them to contact me directly.

MyChoice - can you please cancel any further payments to Gymflex pending the outcome of this dispute.

Kind regards

Noted and let us know how they respond.

Hi Notts,

Thanks for the update and CONGRATS on getting this result.