• Tweets

• If that was the reason then that is good news. The whole reason that being able to charge £100 for breaching private car park rules is because the law Lords decided in a celebrated case that the rogues had a legitimate interest in keeping their car park spaces available for all motorists . {parking Eye v Beavis]. However when the business is closed then there is no legitimate interest in keeping spaces free so to charge £100 is a penalty. As such any Court would automatically throw out the case when the penalty charge is accepted.
    • gives them a feeling of grandeur. dx  
    • yep they can be a bit like the TV licencing lot. for 4yrs ive been getting a series of about 8-10 diff letters that just go round a loop. currently upto 61
    • thread tidied. new thread for the court claim is here  
    • new thread created for this claimform please post here now for anything to do with it now . pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .. get a CCA Request running to the claimant . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/ .. Leave the £1 PO unsigned and uncrossed . get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . .use our other CPR letter if the claim is for an OD or Telecom Debt or Util debt]  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ on BOTH type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sarah & Ian v Lloyds **WON IN COURT + COSTS!**

sarah73076
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I opened an account with Lloyds four years ago when I moved here from the U.S. My husband (a UK citizen) had been with Lloyds since he was 15 years old, and it was easier to get an account with his bank. We also opened up a joint account. Since then, I found that between my personal account and the joint account, we've had over £400 in charges. Added to that, charges on my husband's personal account since July 2002 made the total £875.

I thought about claiming right away, but hubby says he went overdrawn and got charged quite a few times before we got married, so we've written the SAR to Lloyds for the period November 2001 to July 2002 to get the rest of the charges we can claim for within the 6 year statutory period.

Today I phoned LLoyds and got the joint and personal account switched to Classic Plus (free) instead of Gold Service Plus. I was paying £20 a month for stupid crap I never used--don't know why I let it go on so long! I was annoyed--the woman tried to sell me home insurance--um, that's not why I called you!

The overdraft on Ian's account and the joint account are only £100 each, so easy enough to pay off if they get nasty. Mine is not so easy--I have a £1750 overdraft. I have opened an account at Alliance & Leicester and gotten a £450 overdraft, and according to the paperwork I don't qualify for the overdraft matching because I had unauthorised overdraft use in the past three months and because I haven't had a credit balance for at least two days out of the month. However, I wrote to them to explain those charges were in dispute and that I normally stick all my money in the joint account to pay bills. I asked them to reconsider matching my overdraft, saying that we'd move other accounts to Alliance & Leicester. We'll see how that turns out, hopefully they're greedy enough for our business to do it.

When people put dates on here, is it the date you posted the letter, or do you put the date it was received (if done recorded delivery I suppose you'd have that)?

Anyway, I posted the SAR for Ian on 06/11/06, using the template from this site. Hope we'll get those statements back soon so we can claim before Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally received statements for Ian's account today that were not available on online banking, and it added another nearly £200 to our total, making it a grand total of £1047.50 we are claiming between us.

I can't believe they get away with sending statements like this. I know they're old and on microfiche or something, but you'd have thought they purposely smudged everything so we'd miss out a few charges! The oldest statements were so thick with toner/ink and smudged that I could barely read them! Fortunately, the shape of the words 'Unauth'd Borr. Fee' tends to jump out at you when you've been scanning statements for a while.

The letter was dated 30/11/06, but arrived today (yesterday) 5th December. I sent off the request on the 6th of November, so they've got it in under the 40 day mark.

There are some of Ian's charges that are beyond the 6 year statutory period, but I'm putting them on the schedule anyway and hoping for the best. The earliest one is 26/09/2000, so just a few months beyond.

I am writing Alliance & Leicester again today to dispute them not matching my overdraft, and sending this month's statement where it shows I was in credit two days out of the month and that I have no unauthorised overdraft charges. We'll see what they say. I told them I wouldn't switch my direct debits or paycheck over there unless they say yes, as the whole reason for this is wanting to close my Lloyd's account.

Good luck!! If you get stuck with anything don't be afraid to ask.

Also whilst you're waiting for a reply from LTSB it's a good idea to spend some time reading up on the procedures & what experience other people have had.

K :)

FIRST DIRECT: £4751.86 SETTLED IN FULL 5/07/06 :-)

TESCO VISA CARD: £90 SETTLED IN FULL 12/08/06 :)

LLOYDS TSB: £4403.59 SETTLED IN FULL 17/08/06 :)

EGG: £451.52 SETTLED IN FULL 18/01/07 :)

Opinions and advice of kazzaw are independent, offered informally, without prejudice, without liability, and not endorsed by the Bank Action Group. If in any doubt, seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional.

hello Sarah and Ian

Welcome. Dont forget to look at claiming interest, as with my claim the charges go back a long time so the interest could be as much as the claim amount.

Keep focused, dont let them deter you. Wishing you the best of luck.

Sarah

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

• 3 weeks later...

Good news! Alliance & Leicester have now matched my overdraft with Lloyds, so no worries if I do end up having to close my Lloyds account.

So where's my claim at.....I did the 1st letter on 6/12/06, and yesterday (22/12/06) got a letter dated 15/12/06 (damn xmas post) which seemed like a standard response. Basically it explained that they don't agree with the OFT and tries to nicely say 'f*ck off, we're not giving you your money'. So I've now done the second letter saying that their response was unsatisfactory and we want it back in 14 days or we'll take it to small claims court. Will post it today (23/12) and then plan to start the claim on 7/1/07. Will read up on it over the break and get prepared!

• 3 weeks later...

Lloyd's did not respond to my second letter, so on 8 January just after midnight I used the Money Claim Online service to start a claim. I used the spreadsheets in the library to calculate the statutory interest and came up with a figure of £156.66 owed, plus £120 in court fees, bringing the total claim to just over £1300. I used the templates for MCOL from this site and amended slightly to do a joint claim with husband (just pluralised claimant). I really hope that was the right thing to do. It didn't make sense to claim separately, and neither one of us individuals could have done all three accounts. Here's the wording I used in the claim:

1. The Claimants have accounts xxxxxxxx (opened approximately 1993), xxxxxxxx (opened 10 December 20002), and xxxxxxxxxx (opened 10 December 2002) with the Defendant. 2. Since 09/12/2002 the Defendant debited charges in respect of purported breaches of contract. 3. Defendant is aware of all details as a list of charges has already been supplied. Another copy will be sent. 4. Claimants contend: (a) The charges exceed the Defendant's losses caused by the breaches; (b) The Term permitting the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and at Common Law. 5. Claimants claim: (a) return of the amounts debited of £1047.50; (b) Interest per S.69 County Courts Act 1984 of 8% - £156.66 continuing at 8% until judgment or settlement at a daily rate of £0.23. 6. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. 7. Costs allowed by the Court.

We received a Notice of Issue within a few days which said we can consider the claim served as of 13th January, so Lloyds has until 27th January to respond. I haven't yet sent them a 3rd copy of the schedule of charges. Is it necessary since I've sent them two copies already? Wondering as I did state in claim another copy would be sent--but just following the wording from template, and not sure it's necessary. I hope they just ignore me so I can file a judgement.

Hi

Have you sent a copy of your schedule to MCOL as well, if not, you should do the following:

Send 2 copies of your schedule of charges, clearly marked with your claim no. + a brief covering letter asking for them to be filed with your claim to:

The Court Manager,

Money Claim Online

Northampton County Court

21-27 St. Katharine's Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

Dear Sir/Madam

(Your Name) –v- (Bank)

Claim No: ********

Date Issued: xx/xx/xx

Please find enclosed a schedule of penalty charges taken from me by the defendant, along with interest claimed at the annual rate of 8% pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act. The interest in addition to the amount in charges equates to the total amount of my claim, namely £(AMOUNT).

I respectfully request that the enclosed schedule should be attached to the particulars of my claim.

Yours Faithfully

And when Lloyds acknowledge your claim, send a copy again to their solicitors.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Barty:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

Thanks for the advice Barty, I will do what you've suggested.

I've now received two things on 17 Jan:

1. A letter from Lloyds TSB dated 11 Jan 2007, says nearly exactly the same standard blah blah blah things as the other one, but this one has an offer of £750 in it as a 'goodwill gesture'. It's not been put into the account.

2. A Notice that Acknowledgment of Service has been filed from Northampton County Court on 15 Jan 2007. It says the defendant has 28 days from the date of service (which I understand to be 13 Jan). So I guess that means I can start my judgment on 9th March assuming they don't defend the claim.

My question now is, do I have to acknowledge the letter from Lloyds at all if I'm not going to accept the offer?

One more question, when I send the schedules to Lloyd's Solicitors and to MCOL, should I update the amount of statutory interest to today, or leave it as the same amount I claimed on 08/01/07 when I filed? It won't be tons of money (only 23 pence per day) but I just want to do it right!

The £750 has now arrived into our account. If I'm right I think I also have to tell the court about this. I've got no idea what to do about the statutory interest. I suppose I could apply the payment and then work out a new daily rate of interest from today?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry haven't updated in a while. As stated above, I did mess up my MCOL. I didn't claim enough statutory interest, shorted myself about £90! You can read on the other thread all my hemming and hawing about what to do with it.

While I was waffling, the Defence from Lloyds solicitors [problem] arrived, via the Northampton County Court. It was bog standard, I've posted it in full (complete with typos) for all to see. They also sent a notice that the proceedings were being transferred to the Woolwich County Court (where I live) and sent me an Allocation Questionnaire.

So, I finally pulled my finger out and got to work.

I used the New Strategy for Allocation Questionnaires when filling out my N149 form, writing 'Please see attached' in section G and then copying the statement helpfully prepared by others on this forum, and also attaching the draft order for directions.

Next I pulled out my notes from when I spoke to the MCOL helpline people about amending my claim. I printed off the claim I previously made, crossed out the errors and wrote in the corrected info in red biro as instructed. Then I filled out an N244 Application and attached the schedules as they should have been on 08/01/2007 when I filed the claim.

Finally, I wrote a letter to the Woolwich County Court. I explained that I was sending an application to amend the particulars and amount of the claim, and that I was enclosing the allocation questionnaire as well. I also stated that I had received £750 as a goodwill gesture from the defendant, but that this was only accepted as a partial payment and would be applied at the time the full settlement was made. Will post the entirety of the letter if anyone interested.

I know there's been lots of discussion about when/how to apply the goodwill gestures. It entered my account on 19/01/07. I did try to go to a Lloyds branch and get them to remove it, but they were totally useless and confused and ended up having to call round loads of places as they couldn't figure out where the money had come from. In then end someone from another part of Lloyds phoned me back and also said they weren't able to take the money back and that they thought I should phone [problem]. I didn't bother, I don't expect [problem] to give me correct advice! The people at MCOL helpline thought it was fair to apply the £750 once Lloyds agreed to do a full settlement--but I may have misunderstood. MCOL helpline was the ones that said I should try to get it removed from my account, but it doesn't seem possible. Oh well, it's pretty much spent anyway!

My letter was copied to [problem], and since they are acting on behalf of Lloyds I'm assuming I don't have to write to LLoyds directly about the £750. [problem] now has the info that I got the payment and am only accepting it as partial. The letter didn't say anything about it being a full and final settlement, but that it was their 'final response' and I could go to the ombudsman if I didn't like it.

I've posted the application for amendment (with £35 cheque), the allocation questionnaire and the letter to the Woolwich County Court, and copies of all of the same to [problem]. As far as I'm concerned, that should be me done until the hearing is ordered and directions are sent out, correct?

• 1 month later...

We've received our court date for 21 June, and by 28 March I have to send in the court bundle. It looks like the judge took the suggestion I made for directions verbatim!

In the meantime, my husband managed to screw up the account so we have £170 more in bank charges....need to figure out what to do about those now! :-x

Debs, I'm nearly there! So annoyed with him! We were doing so well, and then he managed to transfer £250 OUT of the joint account instead of IN! We got 6 direct debits returned plus went overdrawn! And would you believe, he's trying to say it was my fault because I was probably 'shouting' at him to make the transfer, and he did it on Lloyd's quick transfer thing too hastily.....GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I can't think about it anymore, or I will start googling 'quickie divorce'.

We've received our court date for 21 June, and by 28 March I have to send in the court bundle. It looks like the judge took the suggestion I made for directions verbatim!

In the meantime, my husband managed to screw up the account so we have £170 more in bank charges....need to figure out what to do about those now! :-x

Hi Sarah, when lloyds settle you can ask them to take any additional charges into account. They might, just might pay them back aswell. If not just start another claim and you'll get it all back in the end.

skb

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

• 3 months later...

So today's the court date, here's a run down of what's happened since last time I posted:

27 March: Sent court bundles and statement of evidence to [problem] and Woolwich County Court (where case has been transferred). [problem] has 28 days from receipt to send their court bundle to me (have evidence they rec'd on 28 March).

11 May: Sent letter to [problem] (cc'ed to Court) saying I had not received anything from [problem] and they had 7 days to send their court bundle to me or I would ask the judge to make an order before the hearing. (I dropped the ball on this! Forgot to do it!)

11 June: Received letter from [problem] dated 7 June stating that they were settling the claim and would deposit money in my account within 5 business days.

19 June: Still had not received anything, so phoned [problem] who said they hadn't paid because I hadn't responded to letter! I pointed out that letter says NOTHING like I have to contact them, it only requests that I notify court WHEN MONEY IS RECEIVED to cancel hearing. They ask me to send copy of the letter by fax which I do. Letter with fax asks for payment by no later than Noon on 20/06/07 and for me to be contacted if this will not happen.

20 June: No money received. Phone [problem] who say they can't find anything, don't know where my fax is, don't know if I'll get any money paid in, making excuses about the volume of cases, etc, etc. I say it is now to late for me to notify court of settlement. They say I will have to go to court. I ask if anyone will be there representing them. They say 'I can't comment on that'.

21 June: Phoned the court to explain situation. They say to come to hearing and bring schedule of costs if I want to apply for them.

So there's where I'm at, due in court at 2pm today in Woolwich, so will have to take afternoon off work....grrrrrrrr!

Great news everyone! I went to court today and took along a letter and schedule of my costs in preparing the claim, which came to about £176. The judge said she wasn't expecting to see me as [problem] had sent the court a letter saying they were settling. I explained what happened (as above), and she looked at it, decided Lloyds had behaved unreasonably and awarded me the costs as well as the judgement.

Lloyds now have until 5th July to give me the money, or I'm able to send in the bailiffs! Hooray!!!!