Fault that supposedly wasn't, now apparently is.

robins66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Engine warning light was showing on my car last September.

I paid a local garage to run a diagnostics.

They came back saying the EGR valve needed replacing.

They quoted 3 different error codes.

Spoke to main dealer who said they would need to do their own diagnostics check.

Eventually we agreed to pay for a second test through the main dealer.

They came back saying it didn't need a new EGR valve, it needed a Glow plug,

together with an update to the engine software and clutch pedal adjustment. Total charged £298.

The engine warning light went off and to my knowledge has not been evident since

although the car has remained sluggish when cold.

I was persuaded to take out a service plan at the same time £627 for a 3 year plan payable monthly.

Took the car in today for a service and MOT.

When we arrived to collect the car, my daughter took the car whilst I was sorting out the paperwork.

I was then advised that the car was sluggish because it needs a new EGR valve and that would cost £362 (after discount of 25%).

This is what it went in for in September when they told us it wasn't needed.

I was not impressed,

but was even less impressed when my daughter rang me to say she was literally a block from the garage,

the engine warning light was on and the car was chugging so badly she couldn't drive it.

IT HAD JUST BEEN IN THE GARAGE FOR A SERVICE.

It had supposedly gone through quality control before we arrived.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm a great believer in things being there for a reason. If it didn't need an EGR valve it wouldn't have one. However, they can often be blanked off without apparent medium term consequences. It's main function is to reduce emissions and stop unburned fuel being released through recirculating some of the exhaust gases. When gunged up you get a very lumpy idle on the car, poor acceleration and occasionally even stalling.

The best thing, and it's an easy job, is to take the old one off, clean it well and put it back on again. They do get gunged up over time. Once clean and back on everything should work as it was meant to.

You don't get it coughdrop----if the car doesn't need it then why fit it???

My grandfather was one of the first motor engineers in this area and I always remember him saying to me "The mair you pit on the mair there is tae gan wrang".

Todays car designers would do well to heed that advice.

True Scania but the problem is that the engineering is usually ahead of the legislation. Then when they develop the system it usually exceeds the legislation but the legislation still remains meaning loads of unnecessary stuff in the legislation is still in place. Pathetic really.

And what about the latest efforts of the EU. TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring systems) must be fitted to all cars of 15 MY and for what?

What useful purpose does it serve? All it can do is alert the user that tyre pressures are low. It doesn't prevent a blow out or a puncture or add to emissions reduction.

Like you, I don't like EU forcing rules upon us if they are not common sense. As far as engine ad ons are concerned, the fewer the better.

However, many of us do neglect our tyres and low inflation can affect fuel economy and tyre life, not to mention the safety aspects. Being a lazy bugzer, I would fit this system if costs were realistic.