• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Financial Ombudsman - a recommendation

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have complained plus contacted the Law Society but they will not act against Cobbetts (NATWEST) because they are not my solicitors. Will only accept complaints against a solicitor acting under my instruction. Why am I not surprised? What other job makes and enforces their own rules? How many jobs are there where you cannot be sacked for being crap or useless and not have to retire? Answer - solicitors and judges!

Allocation Questionnaire Received 13-Dec-2006

My Reply To Cobbetts CPR Part 18 Request

10-Dec-2006

Cobbetts Defence 06-Dec-06

Money Claim OnLine 02-Nov-2006 Claim 6QZ79675

Natwest Reply 'Bring It On' 10-Oct-2006

Letter Before Action 06-Oct-2006

Natwest FIRST Reply 04-Oct-2006! They beieve thire CHARGES fair according to their tariff

Third Request to Natwest 28-Sept-2006

Second Request to NatWest 05-Sep-2006

First Request to NatWest 18-Aug-2006

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have complained plus contacted the Law Society but they will not act against Cobbetts (NatWest) because they are not my solicitors. Will only accept complaints against a solicitor acting under my instruction. Why am I not surprised? What other job makes and enforces their own rules? How many jobs are there where you cannot be sacked for being crap or useless and not have to retire? Answer - solicitors and judges!

I complained to the Law Society about DG (HSBC) and you can complain if they aren't your solicitors. What they bascally said to me though is that they wouldn't uphold anything I said because they only had to work on their client's instructions, not look after our right's (even though we no nothing about the law!). Ho Hum....

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Re: Walter Merricks FOS - BBC TV programme Bank Robbery

I was absolutely disgusted with the Mr. Goody Two Shoes attitude of Ombudsman Walter Merricks about penalty charges.

Have you changed your view FOS?

Because, I have a letter from one of the FOS adjudicators, whch clearly states:-

"We would not say that MBNA cannot apply charges, such as the late payment fee, which is in accordance with its published tariff".

It would appear that the FOS has altered its view re the above conclusion.

Why?

and when you changed your mind, why havn't you contacted ALL the complainants that you have previously rejected? after all you have all the names & addresses on file.

The FOS are the pet poodles of the Banks - a disgrace.

My Complaint to the FOS has been sent via email

AC

I complained to the Law Society about DG (HSBC) and you can complain if they aren't your solicitors. What they bascally said to me though is that they wouldn't uphold anything I said because they only had to work on their client's instructions, not look after our right's (even though we no nothing about the law!). Ho Hum....

I recently had cause to make a complaint to The Law Society about a firm of solicitors called Hodsons.

A third party company had informed me that Hodsons had written to me in December 2002 and after over three years of trying to obtain a copy of the solicitors letter I wrote directly to Hodsons.

No reply was received so I wrote again.

All I wanted was confirmation that they had sent a letter. A copy would be appreciated but mere confirmation would do. Over the telephone if they liked.

Straightforward enough you would think but not for Hodsons.

I contacted the Law Society who passed the matter to a firm called Gordons who spent two months dealing with the matter and getting Hodsons to supply them with information.

Eventually I was told that it was not a breach of Hodsons' professional duty not to reply to me as I was not their client.

I asked Gordons if that meant it was professionally acceptable for solicitors to ignore reasonable requests for information but they skirted around that and refused to confirm whether that was the case or not.

I never did get a copy of Hodsons letter but I take some satisfaction in the knowledge that them having to give a number of detailed responses to Gordons, acting for the Law Society, cost them FAR more than a telephone call or photocopy of a letter to me would have done.

What I did find out however, was that so called "solicitors letters" are not always from solicitors. Apparently, the third party in this case had a stack of Hodsons headed paper and merely entered the relevant details before issuing the letters themselves.

I was quite surprised by this but it seems to be an accepted practise.

This dear gentleman has been dealing with my wifes bank for the last three months.

yes they have 'kept her informed' but the progress is very slow but we hope slow is susess.

the old chap

A warm welcome to you, good sir. It is encouraging to see that there are still some gentlemen among us, even though that does not seem to be the case within the banking industry. They will endeavour to "Keep you informed" for as long as they can string this out. Unfortunately, slow is the nearest they will come to success, but I would advocate drawing up a timetable of your own, and dictating their timetable from that !!

Thanks for the advice. Personally I have just started my own action against Mr Lloyd for £2600. Had My first answer from the bank thanking me for my lettter but 'nothing for you'. I hvae written the reply 2nd letter as suggest and will post it first week in Jan. Am a bit bothered about the court and its fee although I shall to get some deduction being adear old pensioner. Thanks again bill-k

Thanks for the advice. Personally I have just started my own action against Mr Lloyd for £2600. Had My first answer from the bank thanking me for my lettter but 'nothing for you'. I hvae written the reply 2nd letter as suggest and will post it first week in Jan. Am a bit bothered about the court and its fee although I shall to get some deduction being adear old pensioner. Thanks again bill-k

You're indeed welcome, old chap !!

Have you started a thread for this in the Lloyd's section ?

Also, have you clearly worked out your claim, and the interest on a spreadsheet ? Make sure you're completely satisfied with your figures before sending the LBA.

HTH

Bill.

the financial onbudsman, the oft and many other government departments are suposed to be here to protect us the public, but it seems the banks have all the power in the uk, if i were to go and rob a bank i would go to prison, when a bank robs us it,s brushed under the carpet (probably a carpet bought with bank charges illegaly taken from us).

My recomendation is maybe these government departments that don't usually do much to help be shut down, then the money saved could be given to banks to refund bank charges illegaly taken from us.

Hello & welcome, aroyles. I agree, it does seem a criminal waste of resources when these watchdogs do nothing but sleep in their kennels, and leave voluntary organisations like CAG to do their work for them.

Unfortunately, I think if their resources were ever re-directed, then they would probably be channelled into a fund for providing pigs with flying lessons !!

if you don,t mind me mentioning this, we are all wasting our time contacting government departments asking them for help, let's be honest, taxes of all descriptions have gone up this year, new taxes have been invented using green issues as an excuse, council tax has risen, so has water rates, gas, electric, interest and mortgage rates, not to mention car tax for those of us that has a 4x4 although it is eco friendly and smaller than the neighbours car that pays less road tax, and the good news is in the future you will be forced to pay a pension to the government with money you don't have, unless you opt out.

So after my moan here's a bit of fun, send your bank an xmas card,valantines card, whatever and put a letter in with it saying you are going to charge them £39 (as the halifax does) administration charges, telling them if they refuse to pay they will be taken to court, you may not win but it would be a pleasure.

One last word don't forget that the government will be charging the banks tax on the profits which are made up of the illegal charges taken from us the honest and struggling working public.

Shame on you Mr Blair and I hope you never have to struggle to make a living like the honest public, (well that's a lie I do hope you are brought down to earth.)

Anybody wishing to contact the prime minister about this please feel free, but remember theres no point knocking when there's nobody in.The lights are all off.:)

I have sent three E-mails and never got a reply off any of them useless bas*&(*&^

But heyho got my money back anyway.

Mikey

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

If you find that I have helped in anyway please click on the scales to left of the screen- Thank you

Advice & opinions of Scouser9 are offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

50% Of claim offered by The Halifax 09/12/2006

LBA letter sent 11/12/2006

Refusal in part of Payment sent 12/12/2006

Halifax settled with £4200 agreed amount 27/12/2006

Survey Submitted and Donation Made 02/01/2007

PPI Claim Sent To Halifax 25/11/2008

PPI Claim Halifax Won 31/12/2008

PPI Claim Sent To Carcraft 22/12/2008

Hi I have just joined and am pleased to see so many people dedicated to stopping people getting poor advice or getting ripped off.

I spent 25 years in financial services and now sadley detest most people in it.

I can confirm that the ombudsman lacks expertise and power and all people whom I have dealt with have been incompetent.

To back up my claim one instance recently was when progressing a claim for a caravan, FOR WHICH ALL DETAILS had been given to the ombudsman, I got a letter back asking such questions as what size was its engine, the claim lasted well over a year and the whole event was farsical. Many letters from the ombudsman kept asking for details which had been supplied over and over again by myself .

I am a member and receive their monthly magazine, which if you read it,

spends a lot of the editorial boosting each others egos.

Time to put a stop to that and make them accountable

Hi Stephen, and welcome indeed !! Your story suggests you have a lot of good input to make, here, so I hope you will get a lot out in return, and enjoy success with whatever your claims are.

In case you're not familiar, check out the forum rules & FAQ's, then we're all yours !!

All the best,

Bill.