• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This sounds like quite a complex case.

First of all ignore the rubbish about taking you to court and your credit file, etc. It's nonsense.

So far as this "transfer of ownership" is concerned - please will you be 100 percent honest about what happened. Did you sell the car, or give it away? If you sold it, did you exchange any sort of paperwork? If you gave it away, why, if you don't know the person. This really is important information, so we need to know the facts.

Now the TE7/TE9. You have stated "I have not received the original pcnlink3.gif as I had transferred ownership of the vehicle and I was not in possession of the vehicle.

Also, I have not received the Notice to Owner as I had moved to a different address before the PCN was issued."

First of all, don't use the phrase "transfered ownership". You can only relinquish ownership by selling it or giving it away - so be clear, so they believe you. If you sold it, say that.

And yes, include anything you can to support what you say - especially the change of address. You can presumably prove that with tenancy agreements or some such? Include copies - prove to them that you did not get the correspondence. It will help a great deal. And write on the actual form, which documents you are attaching so that is is all clear.

As for sending them by email, you can do this but I would recommend you also send physical paper copies by recorded delivery, with copies of the documents.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamberson.

Thanks for the insight.

Much appreciated.

I sold the car in exchange of money, to be clear.

And I have texts which prove that the transaction took place.

And also, I do have a tenancy agreement for the new place although it is sublet accommodation.

Hope this clarifies things a bit more.

Why would you say that it's a complex case?

Thanks.

In that case, on your forms, state that you "sold it". If your texts prove it, then try and get them onto paper somehow - can you send them to email? Or photocopy the screen? If you can, then you ought to include them as evidence. I presume you don't know anything about the buyer, like a name and address? And there are no bank records to show you paid the money in?

Tenancy agreement is great - the relevant pages will prove you moved, and show when that was.

With all this it becomes a reasonably good case for the TE7/9 to succeed.

I only said it was complex because before you explained everything, it seemed that way. Now it's much clearer, I can see that it's not that complex at all. It's just a pity you don't have the buyer's personal details, which would help. You might be wise to add onto the forms some sort of explanation of how you sold it without the V5 - up to you.

Great. So as longs as you explain that to them, your case is looking reasonable.

So the TE9 is where you tick the box stating that you did not receive the Notice to Owner. And then the TE7 is where you explain why your application is "out of time" - because you'd sold the car etc, so never knew there was a PCN outstanding, and moreover you moved house on such-and-such date, and so never recevived any correspondence about it before the bailiffs contacted you.

So long as your explanation is reasonable and plausible, it's a good case. I've seen a lot worse ones!

Let us know how it goes.

If it succeeds, then all the bailiff fees will be revoked. You will still have the original PCN against you, but you will then be able to contest liability for that on the basis that you were not the owner - but first things first.

The fact that you didn't let DVLA have your new address is not important to this process. Even if you had, the council would still have written to your old address since they have to obtain keeper details from the day of the PCN, and so it makes no difference. In any case, it's not grounds to reject your application. Personally, I don't think I'd go into details.

You don't need to cross out the witness part. Just sign and date, as it says.

Your statement is OK, but I would make it a little clearer if it were me. Something like this (you can use a continuation sheet if it doesn't fit inside the box (just write "continues on a separate sheet"):

This application is late because I did not received the original pcnlink3.gif nor any correspondence from the council, and so was unaware there was a PCN on the vehicle.

I did not get the PCN because I sold the vehicle on 12/04/2013. It was sold without the V5C as it was lost, but the new owner agreed to complete a V62 in order to have the vehicle registered to him from that date. He must have failed to do so, but I can show evidence of the sale (see Attachment 1).

I did not then receive the Notice to Owner (or later correspondence) because shortly after the sale of the car, I had moved to a different address in the belief that I was no longer registered at DVLA. Consequently, you were writing to my old address using out-of-date keeper details. I attach proof of my address, and of when I moved (see Attachment 2).

Therefore, I apply on the basis that I did not receive a Notice to Owner, because it would have been sent to my old address.

You don't need to advise them now, because the case is already on hold. Nothing will happen.

Maybe if you've not heard anything in a week's time, give the council a call and check they've received the TE7/TE9 from TEC.

The time scale varies widely, but 2-3 weeks is typical. As I said, if you don't hear back from the Council with some sort of confirmation, just give them a bell and check they received the application from TEC.

What happens is that TEC get the application from you. They then notify the Council same day by email. The Council the put an immdiate hold on the case for something like 100 days, and instruct the bailiff not to take any further action until notified. This suspends all enforcement for as long as they need.

Then, in the next few days the council receives your paperwork from TEC by post (at least, that's how it used to be done) and they have something like 28 days to consider it and make a decision.

Legally they have a warrant of execution - a licence to attempt to seize your goods to take to auction, to settle a debt. That's all. Their favourite method is to clamp your car, and that forces 9/10 people to pay up, or their car is removed and sold.

The registering of the debt sounds more serious than it is. Basically, to get authorisation to appoint bailifs, the council needs to get TEC (Northampton County Court) to approve it - which they do automatically. So the debt is registered at the court, then bailiffs get the case to follow-up on.

The debt includes the original amount owed to the council plus the bailiff's own fees, charged during the process. Even in the event the bailiff can't get any goods and can't get payment, there's no black mark against you, it doesn't affect your credit rating whatever happens, and there will be no CCJ.

Wait until tomorrow and ask again. If TEC have just acknowledged receipt it is reasonable to assume they have only just forwarded it to the council. It should be on record there by tomorrow. Although you state bailiffs are due to commence actions, you did say above that the case had already been put on hold for 28 days. Plenty of time.

I have done that. the council 'said they would call TEC and call me back'

They haven't called me back.

Check with the council again. If they deny receipt of forms from TEC, phone TEC and tell them the council don't have the forms.

• 4 weeks later...

The car colour isn't an issue in itself. If you are concerned that your plates have been cloned, ask the council for a photo of the car when it was ticketed. Then you can see if it's your car or a different one.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...