• Tweets

• Anyway, I've asked my Booking.com flat-rent-out-bloke what needs to be done on the Booking.com portal to cancel a reservation. I got a late message "I'll let you know tomorrow".
    • I see that at the start of your thread you said they hadn't sent a Letter of Claim.  And in fact in all the uploaded material there is no LoC.  This is great news.  Even were you to lose - you won't - the judge would chop off a chunk of the money for their non-respect of PAPLOC. However, I'm a bit confused as you've named the file name as a SAR.  Are you sure about this?  Did you send any other letters apart from the one dx advised which was a CPR request (not a SAR) to DCBL (not Group Nexus).  I'm not being pernickety, this will be important for your Witness Statement further down the line.
    • I didn’t say it wouldn’t. That is not the issue here. To continue driving after the licence has expired (under s88), the driver must have submitted a “qualifying application”.  An application disclosing a relevant medical condition (of which sleep apnoea is one) is not a “qualifying application”, This means the driver cannot take advantage of s88 and must wait for the DVLA to make its decision before resuming driving.   The driver’s belief is irrelevant. The fact that a licence was eventually granted may mitigate the offence, but does it does not provide a defence.   But this driver didn’t meet the conditions. I explained why in my earlier post. He only meets the conditions if his application does not declare a relevant medical condition. His did.   As I explained, after his birthday he did not hold a licence that could be revoked.   In my view it doesn’t matter what it says. The offence is committed because his application declared a medical condition. Meanwhile his licence expired and s88 is not available to him. The GP letter would form part of the material the DVLA would use to complete their investigations. But until those enquiries are completed he could not drive.   The offence does not carry points or a disqualification (because a licence could have been held by your father). It only carries a fine and the guideline is half a week’s net income. If he pleads guilty that fine will be reduced by a third. He will also pay a surcharge of 40% of that fine. But the big difference is prosecution costs: a guilty plea will see costs of about £90 ordered whilst being convicted following a trial will see costs in the region of £600.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am not sure whether or not I can complain about this now, whether it is actually worth complaining or even to whom I complain? Also please bear in mind I haven't travelled by train for years, so I am not really up on terminology.

To cut to the chase, last week at about 30 minutes notice I had to travel from Thirsk to London. I went to Thirsk station and at the ticket desk asked when the next train was that I could catch for London and could I buy the cheapest ticket for it.

I was given a ticket and told to catch the next train (which was due in about a minute later) and change at York for the next train to London. I thus got on the next train at Thirsk (which was going to Manchester Airport via York). The guard stamped my ticket and all was well. I thus got off at York to change trains for London.

From what I could deduce from the monitors, the London trains shown were all running late for some reason. However when the next London bound train pulled in about 20 minutes later I got on it and sat down. The train was non stop to London which I thought was ideal. A while later, the guard came along and when he looked at my ticket said it was not valid for that train and I would have to pay another £84.60!! Obviously I wasn't too chuffed by this (even less so when he said that the train I was on had actually stopped at Thirsk shortly after the one I had boarded) and would have in effect been the 'next' train to London without having the need to change and I had been sold the wrong ticket). It impressed me even less when he said if I had missed out the booking office entirely I could have boarded his train without a ticket and just paid the £84.60 which was less than the ticket I had bought!!

The guard did have the courtesy to explain that my ticket said 'EC and connections' on it, and it meant I had to travel by an 'East Coast' train and the train I was on was a 'Grand Central'. Personally I thought all trains were alike and that as I had in effect got a 'connecting train' from York it should have been valid as it was a connection. It was after all valid on a Trans Pennine Train (I have never examined a train ticket before so this was all new to me and I wouldn't have had a clue as to what 'EC' meant other than possibly thinking it was the 'East Coast' Mainline which I was traveling on).

So, I am thus £84.60 out of pocket. I did ring up Grand Central in York to try to get a refund but they said it was an East Coast problem. I them tried ringing East Coast who said it wasn't their problem either and it was a Trans Pennine Express problem. I tried ringing Trans Pennine (who apparently manage Thirsk station) but they said as my ticket had been stamped (by their guard between Thirsk and York) as far as they were concerned it could not be refunded and I should speak with East Coast whose train I should have travelled on.

So there we are, going round and round in circles. Is there actually any sort of central body to complain to so I don't go round in circles again??. Is there any point in complaining?. To be honest I will never travel by train again if this is the state of railways in 2014. It is the car for me in future, or even flying from Leeds Bradford Airport to London (it would probably be cheaper!!).

Sorry for the rant, but I feel pretty miffed about the whole situation.

Jonathon

Edited by Jonathon1
spelling

Hi Jonathon

Welcome to CAG

To me it looks like you received incorrect information from the customer services advisor at Thirsk Station (First TransPennine Trains).

That is where your complaint should be addressed.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (given wrong information), how they have let you down (it cost you £84.60) and what you want them to do (refund £84.60, plus call costs).

Send it to:-

Nick Donovan

Managing Director

First TransPennine Express

7th Floor, Bridgewater House

60 Whitworth Street

Manchester

M1 6LT

Thank you rebel 11.

I will certainly write to him.

Just out of curiosity, is there a sort of central body to complain to when things involve multiple rail companies?

Also out of curiosity, I have just been playing on the railway websites. Re my ticket having 'EC and Connections' on it, it seems that when booking tickets online it shows East Coast Trains tickets as having the two letter code of 'GR'?. Never mind 'EC' where does 'GR' come from? Plus how is your average infrequent traveler to know that 'GR' equals East Coast, and then find that it is 'EC' actually printed on the tickets? Surely rail travel was never as complicated in British Rail days?

Jonathon

Hi Jonathon

http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/help/rail-complaints

http://orr.gov.uk/about-orr/contact-us/complaints

Let us know how you get on.

There should be a direct email address available for the MD online.

Thank you rebel 11.

I will certainly write to him.

Just out of curiosity, is there a sort of central body to complain to when things involve multiple rail companies?

Also out of curiosity, I have just been playing on the railway websites. Re my ticket having 'EC and Connections' on it, it seems that when booking tickets online it shows East Coast Trains tickets as having the two letter code of 'GR'?. Never mind 'EC' where does 'GR' come from? Plus how is your average infrequent traveler to know that 'GR' equals East Coast, and then find that it is 'EC' actually printed on the tickets? Surely rail travel was never as complicated in British Rail days?

Jonathon

Hello,

I am not sure whether or not I can complain about this now, whether it is actually worth complaining or even to whom I complain? Also please bear in mind I haven't travelled by train for years, so I am not really up on terminology.

To cut to the chase, last week at about 30 minutes notice I had to travel from Thirsk to London. I went to Thirsk station and at the ticket desk asked when the next train was that I could catch for London and could I buy the cheapest ticket for it.

I was given a ticket and told to catch the next train (which was due in about a minute later) and change at York for the next train to London. I thus got on the next train at Thirsk (which was going to Manchester Airport via York). The guard stamped my ticket and all was well. I thus got off at York to change trains for London.

From what I could deduce from the monitors, the London trains shown were all running late for some reason. However when the next London bound train pulled in about 20 minutes later I got on it and sat down. The train was non stop to London which I thought was ideal. A while later, the guard came along and when he looked at my ticket said it was not valid for that train and I would have to pay another £84.60!! Obviously I wasn't too chuffed by this (even less so when he said that the train I was on had actually stopped at Thirsk shortly after the one I had boarded) and would have in effect been the 'next' train to London without having the need to change and I had been sold the wrong ticket). It impressed me even less when he said if I had missed out the booking office entirely I could have boarded his train without a ticket and just paid the £84.60 which was less than the ticket I had bought!!

The guard did have the courtesy to explain that my ticket said 'EC and connections' on it, and it meant I had to travel by an 'East Coast' train and the train I was on was a 'Grand Central'. Personally I thought all trains were alike and that as I had in effect got a 'connecting train' from York it should have been valid as it was a connection. It was after all valid on a Trans Pennine Train (I have never examined a train ticket before so this was all new to me and I wouldn't have had a clue as to what 'EC' meant other than possibly thinking it was the 'East Coast' Mainline which I was traveling on).

So, I am thus £84.60 out of pocket. I did ring up Grand Central in York to try to get a refund but they said it was an East Coast problem. I them tried ringing East Coast who said it wasn't their problem either and it was a Trans Pennine Express problem. I tried ringing Trans Pennine (who apparently manage Thirsk station) but they said as my ticket had been stamped (by their guard between Thirsk and York) as far as they were concerned it could not be refunded and I should speak with East Coast whose train I should have travelled on.

So there we are, going round and round in circles. Is there actually any sort of central body to complain to so I don't go round in circles again??. Is there any point in complaining?. To be honest I will never travel by train again if this is the state of railways in 2014. It is the car for me in future, or even flying from Leeds Bradford Airport to London (it would probably be cheaper!!).

Sorry for the rant, but I feel pretty miffed about the whole situation.

Jonathon

Well, incidentally, your story is impossible.

Tickets with that route "EC & Connections" are only available for "Advance" tickets. These CANNOT be purchased on the day, indeed, there no Advance fares even exist for this amount.

The only tickets that could be sold 30 mins before departure would have said:

1) ANY PERMITTED

2) GRAND CTRL ONLY

Both of these are very clear.

You also failed to inform the forum that you were sat in first class if they charged you £80 odd for the replacement.

What appears most likely is you purchased an Advance ticket for specific trains (obv in advance), perhaps collected it on the day, but certainly didn't buy it there - and boarded the incorrect services. I would then imagine you simply asked Thirsk staff for the next train to London (without showing them your restricted ticket) and they have told you the fastest way to London.

• 3 weeks later...

If 'firstclassx' is correct:

a) FFS, what's the point of 'embellishing' to try and prove your argument?

b) why try it on here where it's fairly obvious the regulars are experts in the field (not theoretical law experts like most forums seem to promote)?

It's like all the idiots that start screaming '[problem]/con/ripoff/theft/fraud' whenever they don't get what they want elsewhere just like spoilt little toddlers throwing a tantrum in tescos.

If firstclassx is wrong I apologise.

If he is not I suggest you put this claim in writing and give the TOC the opportunity of telling you to get stuffed.

If 'firstclassx' is correct:

a) FFS, what's the point of 'embellishing' to try and prove your argument?

b) why try it on here where it's fairly obvious the regulars are experts in the field (not theoretical law experts like most forums seem to promote)?

It's like all the idiots that start screaming '[problem]/con/ripoff/theft/fraud' whenever they don't get what they want elsewhere just like spoilt little toddlers throwing a tantrum in tescos.

If firstclassx is wrong I apologise.

If he is not I suggest you put this claim in writing and give the TOC the opportunity of telling you to get stuffed.

Embellishing? I do enjoy "catching" people out.

But, no, just pointing out that there are some "customers" out there who are either completely oblivious to reality and feel the need to lie or make untrue/misleading statements in order to justify their actions.

The fact the OP never came back speaks volumes.

I did quite a bit of research into this topic, including going through the fares database to check which route descriptions are available for flows from Thirsk to London/South.

I am fairly confident the OP has knowingly purchased a super cheap, inflexible, train specific ticket, and for whatever reason decided to travel on a different train and is trying to justify it by pointing the finger at staff, despite his ticket clearly stating BOOKED TRAIN ONLY.

Wasn't just a throwaway post by me, I do research the topics as required.