Moving to different London Borough. Will benefits follow me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all,

I'm being forced to move from the flat I've lived in for 8 years at the end of June due to benefit cap. I'm on JSA and after a year of struggling and borrowing from friends and pay day loans I finally admit defeat. I've tried Discretionary Housing Payment, I've exhausted every avenue a man can walk down. Fair enough. London no longer wants poor people in it. I get the message.

Sad to leave, but needs must. Will my benefits follow me though or do I need to start from scratch and reapply for HB and JSA when I finally find somewhere that'll take DSS at a reasonable rent outside of Zone 6?

I haven't told my JCP advisor or Council yet as it's still a month off, but forewarned is forearmed and all that. Thanks...

Your JSA shouldn't be too much of a problem - it's just a case of transferring to a new Jobcentre and processing office. There might be a short delay in your payments while that gets processed, but it's a common enough occurence.

With HB, you'll need to make a new claim to your new LA. If you have a new place sorted before you actually move, you may be able to claim HB in advance with the new council although you won't receive any payment until you actually move.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

You will need to make a new claim for HB but JSA should follow you

(unless you are moving into a UC area - in which you may need to claim UC instead of JSA and HB)

You will also need to make a claim for CTR from new LA

(the exceptions to this are Sandwell Tendring and Basildon who don't pay CTR to people moving into their area -none of these are London Boroughs so should not apply)

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Cheers but it's HB I'm worried about - don't they pay it arrears? So how can I convince a letting agent that I'll definitely get it awarded again if I have to reapply? Who's going to touch me with a barge poll if I have to stop my claim then go through all that **** again on the promise I 'might' get HB from the new LA? I'm really scared now