• Tweets

• So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have the poops actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
    • Hi all, Many thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the reply to the email was as expected…   Starbucks UK Customer Care <[email protected]> Hi xxxxxx, We are sorry to read you received a parking charge after using our Stansted Airport - A120 DT store. Unfortunately, the car park here is managed by MET parking. Both Starbucks and EuroGarages who own and operate this site are not able to help and have no authority to overturn any parking charges received. If you have followed the below terms then you would need to send all correspondence to [email protected], who will be able to assist you further. Several signs around the car park clarify the below terms and conditions: • Maximum stay 60 minutes, whilst the store is open. If the store is closed, pay to park applies. • The car park is for Starbucks customers only who make a purchase in our store, a charge will be issued if you left the site. • If you had made a purchase and required additional time, you must have inputted your registration number into the in store iPad which would have extended your stay up to 3 hours • To park in a disabled bay, you must have displayed a valid disabled badge. • If Starbucks was closed, you must have paid for parking as charges still apply, following signage located on site. • If you didn’t use the store, you must have paid for parking, following signage located on site Please ensure all further correspondence is directed to MET parking at the above email address, and accept our apologies that we cannot help you further on this matter.  Kind Regards,  Lora K  Customer Care Team Leader Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4 5YE
    • Thanks HB edited and re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up 👍
    • Am in the middle of selling my house but it's been held up as still showing a change on the property from welcome finance, have not had any contact from them for years or prime credit and need this sorting asap As far as am aware the loan was paid of some 8 years ago
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TFL is threatening me with court.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3649 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

Basically on the 13/04/2014. I went to my local shop known as Telfords in South/Dormers Wells Lane. To top up my Oyster card by £2. I only needed to make one journey to Ealing Broadway to see my boyfriend at work and I already had 40p on it. I bought a bottle of Ribena and paid by card the total was £4.28. The shop owner realized he charged a pound too much and gave a pound coin back. He only gave me the card payment recepit, but not the little one that shows you made the payment on the oyster. So I left.

I got the bus, went to scan the card. It didn't work. Which was strange, even though I just topped it up 15 mins or so ago. I showed him my card recepit and he said I can get on. But if the Inspectors came on. I would have hassle. I understood this and got on. At around Grovesnor Road. They got on. Came up upstairs. I immediatley said along the lines of "I did top up, but it wouldn't scan for some reason." They said it was fine, the bus driver explained the situation to them. Then they tried to scan the card, but it didn't work. He then assured me that I wasn't in trouble (I was really getting stressed out because I did top it up and I know I did.) and everything would be fine. He then inspected it and showed me the areas where the card was damaged and said that he can get sent off, have it analysed and I can get a replacement one from them. He asked me where I was going. I said I was only going to Ealing Broadway (At this point I was on the phone to my boyfriend, but didn't hang up, I just held the phone in my hand, because I texted him stating my card wouldn't scan and what had happened thus far), he said this was fine. He then asked how I was traveling, I said bus and said I was only making the one journey today. He said he'll give me an Authority to travel card and filled it out for me, then gave it back to me. He asked for my details, address and dob. Which I happy to do. He said again everything was fine and I was not in trouble. I got off at Ealing Broadway, after saying thank you and being very sorry for the hassle.

On the 17th I get a letter stating I will be taken to court. At this point I started bawling my eyes out and had a panic attack, because I took their word and trusted them (I have severe social anixety and depression, so this had set me off.), my boyfriend then called them on my behave because I couldn't speak coherently at the time. He gave them my case number. Then he explained what had happened, then the man on the phone said "Is that what she told you?" as if I was making it up. He held in his anger. And repeated what had happened.

The man on the phone said that the inspector either gave me the wrong information or outright lied to me (I've noticed in threads speaking of similar situations, that they lie to you in order to get co-operation out of you.), and that my Oyster card in question had not been topped up since Feb 2007. Which is silly, because I was born in 1992 and I would been in North Wales (Where I use to live) and still be in school. I wasn't even aware of Oyster cards then. Then he gave a second date of Feb 2013. Which was strange because the first time I ever received and used the Oyster card is when I was visiting my boyfriends family in London in Late (around Septemberish) 2013 (my boyfriends mum had bought me the oyster card and topped it up for me), I only used it a few times. Then when I moved down to London in 13/02/2014, I then started to regularly use and top up my Oyster with no issue. The man on the phone said the information they have is "sketchy".

They also said that they don't do replacement services. So. I feel like I am being taken for a ride here. They are trying to make me out to be a criminal essentially and I would never dodge a fare.

So I am sending my statement, my boyfriends statement of the phonecall he had with one of their employees. The original card recepit and the bank statement showing I paid this amount on this day and it's all right. Then a copy of my authority to travel card because I can't trust them at this point. I also went to my local shop to view the footage of me paying for the top-up with my boyfriend, it even shows me taking out my oyster card and debit card, then paying for the Ribena and top-up and putting the cards away away. They will keep the footage for me and I said in my letter if they still find my account not to be true. They can arrange to view the footage themselves or arrange something reasonable with me in regards of the footage and said I will get the statement of the local shop confirming the CCTV and the events of that day.

Also, if I had actually caused an offence, why did I receive the authority to travel card and told I did nothing wrong, I would get a replacement etc and why was I not given on the spot fine?

Edited by wwwhvw

I see there so many spelling mistakes in my post, but I hope people understand it. Essentially I live in Southall. And to clarify my bus journey was from Dormers Wells Lane to Ealing Broadway.

I've read the prosecution policies of TFL and it seems that they are not following proper protocol with my case and I am really worried that my words have been twisted by tfl or the ticket inspectors themselves. As I've noticed it has happened to other people in a similar situation.

Hi wwwhvw

Welcome to CAG

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (paid for top up, Oyster Card didn't work, boarded bus), how they have let you down (told everything was fine, now they want to take you to court) and what you want them to do (stop threatening court action). Explain that you have CCTV evidence that payment was made and that it wasn't your fault that the card wasn't credited with the top up. Explain that you'll happily show the judge the CCTV evidence. Ask the shop if they can provide you with a statement to send along with a copy of the receipt to TLF. Don't forget to add the reference number that's on the letter.

Send it to:-

Mr Leon Daniels

TLF

Managing Director

[email protected]

They don't want to take you to court, what they want you to do is go down on your knees and beg, they want you to offer an out of court settlement so as not to go to court and then they get a couple of hundred quid off you.

Your receipt will show the date and time, so call their bluff and elect to go to court.

Thank you for the replies.

I just sent off the statements, evidence off today. (I sent it fully tracked and have proof that I sent it, so if they decide to play the "Oh but we didn't get it" then I can clearly evidence)

I also included a strongly worded covering letter addressing how they are letting me down, and essentially said if they still don't find my account credible. They can go arrange it themselves to go view the CCTV (I realize these type of companies don't like hassle or don't like making the effort) or arrange something reasonable with myself in regards of the footage.

I am fully prepared to take them to court. I am looking to get compensation out of them (as in travel costs and therapy bills) or at least my Oyster card back.

Edited by wwwhvw

Bah, I tried sending him a private message but it says I filled my quota on sending private messages? And I should make more space or something. Which is weird because..I haven't sent any messages?

It should have told you that you do not yet qualify to send private messages as you haven't yet made enough posts

I will give him a buzz, but it will be up to him if he decides to get involved.

I just sent off the statements, evidence off today. (I sent it fully track and have proof that I sent it, so if they decide to play the "Oh but we didn't get it" then I can shove the proof of postage in their faces)

I also included a strongly worded covering letter addressing how they are letting me down, and essentially said if they still don't find my account credible. They can go arrange it themselves to go view the CCTV (I realize these type of companies don't like hassle or don't like making the effort) or arrange something reasonable with myself in regards of the footage.

I am fully prepared to take them to court and watch them brick themselves. I will be suprised when they reply to my statement that they don't offer at least a grovelling apology. I am looking to get compensation out of them (as in travel costs and therapy bills) or at least my Oyster card back.

Yes, I read through the original post, but didn't have time to reply at that time. I suggest that the first thing to do is not to assume that TfL or the inspectors are out to 'twist your words'. Attacking TfL with such accusations without tangible evidence is very unlikely to endear you to the person who will be reading your complaint.

CCTV will not prove anything. All it will show is that you went into the shop and made a purchase. The one thing that will prove you made a payment to Oyster will be the receipt for the Oyster payment and the corresponding entry on Oyster monitoring records'

If a mistake has been made and your Oyster was not credited with the correct amount it should be relatively straightforward to identify. The receipt that you say you have should show the amount of the top-up and the time of that transaction.

The Oyster record will show whether any journey had been made after the top-up and before the incident with the inspector

This is the important piece of your original post:

Basically on the 13/04/2014. I went to my local shop known as Telfords in South/Dormers Wells Lane. To top up my Oyster card by £2. I only needed to make one journey to Ealing Broadway to see my boyfriend at work and I already had 40p on it. I bought a bottle of Ribena and paid by card the total was £4.28. The shop owner realized he charged a pound too much and gave a pound coin back. He only gave me the card payment recepit, but not the little one that shows you made the payment on the oyster. So I left.

It does appear from your quoted piece that you do not actually have any evidence that a payment was made to Oyster because you say that the shopkeeper did not give you any Oyster receipt.

Why did you leave without checking that your payment had been recorded? As always it is for the purchaser to check that they have been correctly charged at the time.

All your payment card receipt will show is that you made a purchase of the total amount of £4.28 in a shop. It will not specify what the payment was for.

From what you have posted so far TfL are unlikely to be 'bricking themselves' and if you have used similar rhetoric in your letter, you might find that they are less than likely to go out of their way to help you.

The inspector is not obliged to issue a penalty notice if s/he thinks that an offence is evident and if you used language that displayed a similar attitude as you have shown here I am not surprised that you were reported.

You need to politely ask if the timed Oyster till record at the shop can be checked for the top-up that you say you put on your card, but were not given a receipt for. Perhaps then it will be shown who made the mistake if any.

• Haha 1

Actually no. I would never use that "rhetoric" when writing a professional letter to a company. Since this is a thread, I thought it was ok to be more snarky or show my actual disdain about the situation or be more casual in my language. I didn't even use that "rhetoric" when the inspectors talked to me. I was actually obviously shaking at that time, since I was terrified they wouldn't believe what had happened, but they did, otherwise why would they have given an authority to travel pass and not kick me off. I'm actually very timid when I actually interact with people face to face. (Due to severe social anxiety).

I looked at CCTV, it shows me taking out my Oyster and putting it on the scanner thing to have money put on it and then putting it away when I was finished, the timing goes with how long it would take for me to get to the bus stop.

I just really don't appreciate what's happening to me. I made sure that I didn't come across as snarky in my letter, because I like to think I have common sense and want to be taken seriously.

Also, if gets taken further anyway. Since the shop was happy to keep the footage of me and give a statement. It will hopefully not be a hassle to get the till records.

Also, if gets taken further anyway. Since the shop was happy to keep the footage of me and give a statement. It will hopefully not be a hassle to get the till records.

Ok, that helps, but have you asked the shop why you were not given a receipt for the Oyster payment?

Sadly, the visual aspect of placing a card on the reader and taking it off again does not prove payment. For example, if someone placed a card on the machine and their payment card declined it would have exactly the same visual appearance, but no credit would go onto the card.

At the moment and only from what you have told us, this appears to be one of two possible errors. Either an error by the till operator at the shop, or a processing malfunction.

Before TfL proceed to further action they will have checked to see if there was a credit lodged on your card and if not, then there is an outstanding fare.

The OP told the following:-

'and that my Oyster card in question had not been topped up since Feb 2007'

It sounds like they haven't checked the correct Oyster Card.

Ok, that helps, but have you asked the shop why you were not given a receipt for the Oyster payment?

Sadly, the visual aspect of placing a card on the reader and taking it off again does not prove payment. For example, if someone placed a card on the machine and their payment card declined it would have exactly the same visual appearance, but no credit would go onto the card.

At the moment and only from what you have told us, this appears to be one of two possible errors. Either an error by the till operator at the shop, or a processing malfunction.

Before TfL proceed to further action they will have checked to see if there was a credit lodged on your card and if not, then there is an outstanding fare.

That's what my boyfriend said to the guy on the phone as in "This can't be correct because she's been using it since so and so", when he was told about the Oyster hadn't been used since 2007. But the employee replied with a "Well the information we have is sketchy, but send in the statement anyway."

Edited by wwwhvw

When I was in the shop reviewing the CCTV. I did say the shop owner that they didn't give me one as in the smaller recepit, when I was explaining to them my situation and they asked if I got given a recepit. They just kinda went "oh..well I'm sure they'll drop it, they usually do." But I'll ask for a till roll or to see their recepit records of my oyster transaction if the situation is taken further.

Try to get a copy, pointless going to that length just to see it.

When I was in the shop reviewing the CCTV. I did say the shop owner that they didn't give me one as in the smaller recepit, when I was explaining to them my situation and they asked if I got given a recepit. They just kinda went "oh..well I'm sure they'll drop it, they usually do." But I'll ask for a till roll or to see their recepit records of my oyster transaction if the situation is taken further.