Can I be sacked for not disclosing a disability when asked?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I started a job a few months ago and had no problem with Epilepsy for ages but a month into the job I started having a few issues (seizures) with it. After a week my employer asked me if I had had any medical issues that they should be aware of and I told her no as I thought it was just a blip and had a bad experience at a previous job once they knew about it.

I'm going to tell them now after having a few days off so they know in case it continues to be an issue but my worry is, can they sack me for not telling them about a disability when asked?

Thanks

yes, not for the disability, but fundamental breakdown of trust. Lying is always a bad start.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi red

You should have put it on the application form, besides the 'trust' issue, if your at work and something happens to you, how will they know what medical treatment you need? Do you wear a bracelet with 'Epilepsy' on it? It's on the application form so they can fulfill a 'Duty of Care' as employers they owe to you.

On the plus side if they can see your good at what you do and committed they may make allowances. Your boss asked so she knows somethings up.

There is more, if your working near machinery, etc.

Once the employer knows that there is a medical condition then you would have the protection afforded by the Equality Act as well, so I can see no point in being evasive. There will only be problems if your not telling the truth has potentially endangered yourself or others.

I would ask to speak to the employer again and explain that actually, yes, there is a history of epilepsy, and whilst you apologise for misleading them previously it is something that you are sensitive about and sought to keep secret due to the problem with a previous employer.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!