Jump to content

Sale of goods act, etc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3536 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi ,

Can someone please help me on below issue how to go further..

I had bought a SONY TV from RGB online store On 22/12/2011 (It is more than 2.5 years now)

Recently I am facing some problem with the TV, i.e. it is automatically turning off and red light is blinking 6 times with no picture seen. This is the same problem which occurred during the first year of purchase(exactly after 10 months after purchase) and was repaired by SONY under manufacturer warranty. I learnt that as per Sale of Goods Act, if there is some problem with the product not due to normal wear tear during first 6 years ,it is retailers responsibility to fix/repair/replace it.

I contacted RGB(Retailer) and they rejected to repair as it is not under warranty anymore and they are ready to send it for diagnosing the problem if i am ready to pay for trade cost repair.

According to The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality.According to this law, I have six years from the date of purchase to claim damages for faulty goods.

Please advice whether i can take action and claim against retailer in this situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After 6 months there is "reverse burden of proof" ie you need to prove it is faulty, and this is due to a manufacturing defect.

To prove this you may need an engineers report stating it is due to manufacturing defect. Email the retailer and ask them if they will repair this or if you need to take it further. They may state they need you to get an engineers report stating the fault is with the manufacture or the product. If they require an engineers report, they must refund this to you if it is proven to be a manufacturing defect, and repair the TV.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)


Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.


923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE



Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)


If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site


Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks locutus&rebel11 for your timely reply.


I had contacted the Citzen advice bureau and upon their advice i had sent a letter(Signed delivery) to retailer giving 14 days to reply and same is copied to my local area trading standards as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...