Urgent help on council suspended possession order.

dazz36
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3745 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My first post here as in desperate need of advice. I am at this point £750 in rent arrears which have mounted up over 4 years. I had a suspended possession order in court when arrears were £875 in October. Up to 2 weeks ago I kept to the £56 weekly rent but have slipped with a gambling addiction problem and not paid in last 2 weeks. I get paid weekly of £175 each Saturday and will definitely make a payment 1st thing Saturday. I can't pay £168 this Saturday in one go (2 weeks missed rent plus current payment). I need help urgently as can't face life on the streets. I also owe 2 years council tax which hasnt been paid and various other debts which haven't been paid in years. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need to contact the council and explain your circumstances to them. Not doing so will make them think you are ignoring the court order and they will simply apply for a warrant of execution and you will receive a notice of eviction.

Most council's do not want to make you homeless if you can afford to pay - clearly you've got some difficulties with managing money and you need to admit to these. It might be possible for you to agree with your employer to deduct your rent payments and for these to go directly to the council. But you need to speak to the council first and let them know what is going on so that they do not apply for the warrant of execution.

The council tax situation is more serious - you also need to contact the council with regards to this and make an offer to pay. After two years I am surprised they have not got a liability order against you. Either way, you need to sort it out as they can apply for an attachment of earnings - and at worst, can ask for you to be committed to prison for non payment.

The debt is far easier to deal with - visit your local CAB and ask for some debt management advice. They can help you write letters to your creditors and you may get away with paying as little as a £1 per month token payment until your financial situation improves.

Finally, get some help for your gambling addiction - it'll see you on the streets if you don't get a firm grip on it.

If they apply for the warrant of execution how long would I have before eviction? I can pay £100 this weekend for rent but I don't really want to face a council officer after last time. I met a council officer last time in September and talked through what I paid out. He couldn't understand when the figures didn't match up and he got heated as couldn't understand why I was in arrears. Which is fair enough but couldn't admit to gambling addiction. I have been getting help for gambling addiction but one slip in 6 months has devastated my finances. I am leaving Council Tax/other debts as I want to keep the house above my head. The pressure I am under is immense finding it difficult to cope with. Thanks for reply.

Is there no one you can sign your income over too to stop you spending it ? So they can pay your PRIORITY debts of which council tax is one.

You must tackle these both together and although council tax can't get you evicted (that I know of) it can send you to prison if you can pay but refuse to pay. Which I would think they could class you as doing.

I have telephoned the Council Officer in charge but had to leave a voicemail as no-one available. I have told them I can pay £100 this weekend and increase payments from the week after to £70 to get the arrears down quicker. I really hope I get another chance to sort this out. At this moment I can't think about Council Tax. I am really struggling with things and just want to keep home as a priority.

Do please also consider Leah's advice and speak to someone at Citizen's advice Bureau. National Debline is also a good place to start for some serious Debt counselling advice :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I appreciate that you feel you can't deal with both rent and council tax - but you MUST. The consequences for not dealing with both are dire.

If you go along to CAB they can help you with all of it, and may even be able to speak to the council officer on your behalf (you give your permission for them to do so), and then you can get everything sorted out in one go.

There is absolutely no point in burying your head in the sand any longer. You've been wise enough to come on here to get some advice, so don't ruin it all by thinking you can stick your head back in the sand. You can do it, and once you have, you'll start to feel a lot less pressured as you'll know that it can all be sorted out.

It really isn't the end of the road, but you can't leave it any longer. Go to CAB as soon as you can.

And to answer your question: no one can really state definitively how long after they apply for the WoE before you receive a notice of eviction - it could be as little as a week, or as much as three or four weeks (sometimes more), but it all depends on how busy the bailiffs are and when your area is scheduled for evictions.

Do get back in touch with the council about the Council Tax and be honest with them. My income is erratic to say the least and I have several times been in the manure with it. In fact, they got a liability order for arrears two weeks ago.I have found though, that they usually do all they can to help you get sorted, making payment arrangements or whatever, but you need to tell them how you slipped back again with the gambling.

I have had the £70 accepted by the Council. Been warned this is my last chance or they will go to court for eviction. The council tax I will sort out in 2 weeks time and make an offer of £25 per week when I have the finances to start paying. Thanks to everyone with the advice here.