• Tweets

• or go really bold ... Further to my request for a copy of the agreement you refer to on ( date) I made a section 78 request pursuant to the Credit Consumer Act 1974 to which you have yet to reply or respond. Pursuant to the Credit Consumer act 1974 section 78 (6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)— (a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.
    • Pers I'd stop paying the lot and get each defaulted by a dn issuance.  Defaults can't hurt future renting no Only ccj's Can't keep saying the same answers.    Dx        
    • Ok thank you. That’s where we are getting confused, as we’re not sure where we stand legally. But we’re still unsure who we should be going to now, the dealer or the finance company? I’m assuming the evidence we have (the reports from Mercedes) showing that the fault was there when we purchased would be sufficient to prove this? To be honest we would prefer to send the car back completely as are now concerned more problems may arise.
    • No no - I would complain via the CEO and Directors Office.     They sorted it in less than 24 hours for me. Complaint closed and compo issued.    Sam P 
    • Hi, Thanks a lot for your valuable advice and apologies for bit delay in providing some additional information as requested before. I was also looking at other threads to get some more knowledge, apologies if my questions have already been answered in some other threads and I have missed them. I would appreciate if you can guide to relevant thread to help navigate easily. If I opt to go down the route of availing BS option, I'd find it more convenient if I do it in parts i.e., applying with 2/3 creditors at a time. Is that even possible in my case? I understand that DN might be the best option for me but I am trying to avoid this route as much as I can. I am currently living in a rented property with wife and 3 kids and I am not how this is going to play out in future if we decide to move to some other area. How will DN impact my intention of getting house on mortgage (dream as of today) after 6 years? If I go for DN strainght away, do I have to do it for all debts? for example, can i leave one active credit card out of this DN? what can i do if I go for DN right now but my financial situation improves in 1-2 years due to better job or promotion etc.?  Here are the details of my debts. Let me know please if you have any questions. Regards, MM Overdraft Halifax - £2,500 Starling - £500 (I can settle this immediately to keep this account active as back-up for salary and other priority expenses like rent, council tax etc.)   Personal Loans - Outstanding Amounts - No defaults or missed payments Plata - approx. £27,000 BetterBorrow - £3,450 Zopa - £14,000 Reevo - £2,800 Updraft - £2,230   Credit Card - Balances - No defaults or missed payments except those noted Virgin - £6,100 (This card is suspended.) Halifax - £5,474 (This card is suspended.) Barclays - £5,400 (I am currently on a fixed monthly payment plan of £232 for almost a year now and missed last month's payment.) Aqua - £3,100 Fluid - £2,100  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bryan Carter on behalf of Lowell (mobile phone debt)***Claim Discontinued***

Bedonde
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3689 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a mobile phone debt from nearly 6 years ago which has reared it's ugly head again.

I took out out the contract but never actually used the sim (still have it here completely wrapped up),

but forgot to cancel within the correct time so got charged.

received a letter from Bryan Carter this morning about starting litigation in the next 48 hours on behalf of Lowell.

I have dealt with them before over an old catalogue debt they took me to court for,

but with the help of people on here I managed to get Carter to stop the claim.

This was because I had never signed a credit agreement.

Unfortunately, not sure it's that simple with a mobile phone debt?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you should phone the phone company to find out more info about this account. If you never activated the sim card, what is your responsibility for any contract. Surely it would be pretty limited. Also what exact date did the contract start. Is any debt statute barred ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Phoned Orange today, I am still liable for the debt even though I haven't activated the Sim card. Orange have very limited information on it since it was from 2008 and has obviously been passed on. Aparently I made some payments on the account, it's so long ago I can't remember exactly.

What do I do now?

Any help appreciated.

Hi Bedonde

i got mine through today also for orange.

i have sent off for all the information they are relying on for the claim, i havent phoned orange for any info though.

hope you get sorted

cheers

Lets

Thanks for reply, not sure what you mean though? Am I supposed to send Brian Carter something? I don't have anything to send (that I'm aware of)..

i have just acknowledge the claim online,

Earlier I sent Bryan Carter a request for all the information that they hold and are relying on to make this claim, that was done on CPR 31.14, the template for that can be found here, this was sent recorded delivery and I have also sent it via email, to make sure they have it.This request has given them 7 days from receipt of letter to send the information.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387484-LEGAL-CPR-31.14-Request-Request-for-information-when-a-Claim-has-been-issued.

obviously make the changes that suit your situation.

I am sure those with more knowledge will be able to advise us both further...(pls)

my thread is here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?415751-Lowell-Carter-advise-Pls&p=4453102#post4453102

Thanks again, I will try and get those typed up today and sent tomorrow. Not sure on acknowledging the claim online etc as I don't really have a defence!?

Just looking at your thread, seems like Carter just wrote back to you letting you know the debt was with Orange? My claim form already says it's for an Orange debt on behalf of Lowell, so not sure what else they can say...

What happens if this is not defended?

Thanks, in that case I don't really see a point in contesting this? As it could end up a worse situation with more money piled on top.

So basically, I do nothing now? And wait for the court to contact me regarding repayments and then setup something with them?

You must defend...win or lose...it will open up other avenues of settlement.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

have you acknowledged the claim yet, if you haven't i would suggest you do this will stop them winning winning by default. not only that it gives you time to sort out a defense. carters have to supply all the information they rely on in order to task this to court. there is a template for this , the one i used is as per post 8.

write to carters asking for all the information they rely on in court, contracts etc and see what turns up.

my intention is to defend and see where it goes, i am putting the cash to one side though just in case i do lose , that way no ccj will be registered...at the moment i do not have much of a defense, just need them to prove the account is owed how it is made up, ie charges and fees, and is legally due to them before i put a defense together, just depends on if they are able to supply the information.

remember if they are unable to supply the info then there is no case as such, not only that, looking through other threads, carters have a habit of not supplying the info and discontinuing the claim.

but the choice is yours

Well I have defended against them before, but that was for a catalouge claim a few years back they backed out because they never sent me a credit agreement. With mobile phones obviously it is different but okay will acknowlege the claim tonight and start sending out letters tomorrow! Worth seeing what they come up with...

Okay claim acknowledged, I just had a look at the 3.14 letter - this was the same letter I used before (for a catalouge claim) but I found it so confusing as to what was relevant to the catalouge claim. I want to get this done to send out tomorrow recorded delivery, but I'm struggling again to find out what I actually need to include from the 3.14 letter. I have deleted some of the stuff that is mentioned in red, but unsure of the wording in particulars of the claim section and what I need?

Also on the acknowledgement I did contest all of the claim and also ticked contest jurisdiction, hopefully that was correct!

Okay, I have deleted the stuff in red on the 3.14 letter, which is not applicable. As far as I can see everything else in the letter needs to be there i.e points 1-5 apart from point 6 in this case. The rest of the letter I have left. Not sure it's worth adding anything else to it as it covers everything?

Okay claim acknowledged,:thumb: I just had a look at the 3.14 letter - this was the same letter I used before (for a catalouge claim) but I found it so confusing as to what was relevant to the catalouge claim. I want to get this done to send out tomorrow recorded delivery, but I'm struggling again to find out what I actually need to include from the 3.14 letter. I have deleted some of the stuff that is mentioned in red, but unsure of the wording in particulars of the claim section and what I need?

We dont know you have not posted it......type it out verbatim less any identifiable data

Also on the acknowledgement I did contest all of the claim and also ticked contest jurisdiction, hopefully that was correct!

Incorrect but dont worry

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I was referring to their Particulars not the CPR 31.14...how can we advise what you can ask for until you type out their particulars of claim from the N1.:roll:

I see.

In that case the particulars are :

This debt was assigned to/purchased by Lowell Portfolio Ltd on 07/09/2012 and noticed served pursuant to the law of property act 1925

Particulars

Re : Orange

A/C No *********

And the claimant claims 227.50

The claimant also claims interest pursuant to S69 country court act 1984 from 07/09/2012 to date at 8% per annum amounting to 24.95

----------------------------------------------------

The total amount of the claim including court fees + solicitors fees is 317.45

Thats it ? word for word ?

If so you can only request the Notice of Assignment/Agreement.

Talk about vague:madgrin:

It's word for word yep, there is a bit above it too which somehow I missed out :

The Claim is for 227.50 the amount due under an agreement between the original creditor and the defendant to provide finance and/or services and/or goods.

But other than what I've mentioned that is it...

It's word for word yep, there is a bit above it too which somehow I missed out :

The Claim is for 227.50 the amount due under an agreement between the original creditor and the defendant to provide finance and/or services and/or goods.

But other than what I've mentioned that is it...

Ah that makes hell of a difference (hence verbatim).

So you can request the agreement also within the CPR...but you should be requesting that separately anyway by way of a CCA request.