• Tweets

• So, why do DVLA (via that leaflet) say that S.88 MAY allow a driver to be treated as if they have a valid licence (after an application that discloses a medical condition) ?
    • Thanks for that, Bazza. It sheds some more light on things but I’m still by no means sure of the OP’s father’s likelihood of successfully defending the charge. This in particular from the guidance stands out me: He does not meet all the s88 criteria. S88 is clear and unambiguous: It makes no provision for either the driver or a medical professional to make a judgement on his fitness to drive under s88. S92(4) and the June 2013 guidance you mention defines in what circumstances the SoS must issue a licence. It does no modify s88 in any way. However, delving further I have noticed that the DVLA provides a service where the driver can enter a relevant medical condition to obtain the correct documentation to apply for a licence: https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving/find-condition-online I haven’t followed this through because I don’ have the answers that the OP’s father would give to the questions they will ask and in any case it requires the input of personal information and I don’t want to cause complications with my driving licence. It is possible, however, that the end result (apart from providing the necessary forms) is a “Yes/No” answer to whether the driver can continue to drive (courtesy of s88). With that in mind, I should think at  the very least the OP’s father should have completed that process but there is no mention that he has. The Sleep Apnoea Trust gives some useful guidance on driving and SA: https://sleep-apnoea-trust.org/driving-and-sleep-apnoea/detailed-guidance-to-uk-drivers-with-sleep-apnoea/ I know nothing about SA at all and found It interesting to learn that there are various “grades” of the condition. But the significant thing which struck me is that it is only the least trivial version that does not require a driver to report his condition to the DVLA. But more significant than that is that the SA Trust makes no mention of continuing to drive once the condition has been reported. The danger here is that the court will simply deconstruct s88 and reach the same conclusion that I have. I accept, having looked at the DVLA guidance, that there may be (as far as they are concerned) scope for s88 to apply contrary to the conditions stated in the legislation. Firstly, we don’ know whether there is and secondly we don’t know whether the OP’s father would qualify to take advantage of it. Of course he could argue that he need no have reported his condition. The SA trust certainly emphasises that the condition should not be reported until a formal detailed diagnosis is obtained. But the fact is he did report it. As soon as he does that, as far as I can see,  s88 is no longer available to him. Certainly as it stands I maintain my opinion that he was not allowed to continue driving under s88. The only way I would change this is to see the end result of the DVLA exercise I mentioned above. If that said he could continue driving he would have a defence to the charge. Without it I am not confident.  
    • Americans are already keen on UK-made coins, and the Mint said it has seen a 118 per cent increase in sales to the US since 2022.View the full article
    • Right, my friend has just called me. He has indeed had to cancel bookings in the past from his end. There is a specific number for Booking.com that he calls.   After that Booking.com jump into action and contact you re refund and/or alternative accommodation. I suppose it's all logical - the party cancelling the booking has to inform Booking.com. So the gite owner needs to contact Booking.com on the cancellation number.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DJWeeble Vs MBNA

djweeble
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well I've eventually got round to starting the ball rolling against MBNA.

My DPA request was delivered Tuesday

Your item with reference DH*********GB was delivered from our CHESTER Delivery Office on 24/10/06 .

Thank you for using this service.

Now lets just sit back and wait to see what they owe me :D

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Your off and running.

Whilst your waiting for it to arrive, have a read through the forum of the bank your claiming against. This should give you a good idea of timescales and what to expect.

Good Luck

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

• 5 weeks later...

What the hell are MBNA playing at :?

I sent them this as an original S.A.R - (Subject Access Request).....

M B N A Europe Bank LTD

Stansfield House

Chester Business Park

Chester

Cheshire

CH4 9QQ

23rd October 2006

RE: SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

Dear Sir,

A number of years ago I was the holder of an MBNA Gold credit card.

I would like to make a formal request under the Data Protection Act 1998 for a complete and exhaustive list of all charges made on this account since its inception. Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you. I also require full particulars of the transfer of the account to Link Financial Services.

As you are no doubt aware, you are afforded 40 days to comply with this request.

Unfortunately I am no longer in possession of any details of the account, so for your assistance in this matter, my date of birth is XX XX XXXX, and my previous addresses in the UK that you should have on record for me were:

Here.......

There........

Here as well........

As you will be aware the Information Commissioner has declared that the maximum amount payable for this service is £10, and so I have enclosed a cheque to this value.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours Faithfully

Today I received this......

Dear Mr.........

As requested we have enclosed details of your statement information. On this occasion we have provided the information to you free of charge as we have not treated your request as full data subject access request. please find enclosed your £10 cheque payment.

Should this information not be sufficient and you wish to make a full data subject access request under section 7 of the data protection act 1998, please complete and return the attached form.

Please ensure you include the fee of £10 (cheques to be made payable to MBNA europe Bank Ltd) and appropriate ID (e.g. photocopy of driver's license or passport)

They included 1 more sheet which just showed their current interest levels, no statements at all :|

What part of "I would like to make a formal request under the Data Protection Act 1998 for a complete and exhaustive list of all charges made on this account since its inception. Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you. I also require full particulars of the transfer of the account to Link Financial Services" do they not understand ??

Muppets :rolleyes:

I'll be thinking about this tonight, and sending a reply tomorrow, in the meantime, if anyone has a few pointers I might like to include...........

I received similar letters from them, GE, Co-op and sent them a polite letter highlighting their clerical error.

Send them back a letter and confirm you have made a formal request pursuant to the DPA which they received with the offer of payment on xx/xx/xx.

Since the request was correctly made and payment offered you now have xx days left for compliance with the SAR.

HTH

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Right, I've had a few days to get my response together, so, would anyone care to comment on this.........

M B N A Europe Bank LTD

Stansfield House

Chester Business Park

Chester

Cheshire

CH4 9QQ

Re: Subject Access Request, account number 1234567890

Dear Sir,

On 23rd October I sent you a Subject Access Request for, and I quote:

I would like to make a formal request under the Data Protection Act (1998 ) for a complete and exhaustive list of all charges made on this account since its inception. Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you. I also require full particulars of the transfer of the account to Link Financial Services.

This letter was sent by recorded delivery, and was signed for at your address on 24th October. Earlier this week I received what can only be assumed to be an attempt by your employees at stalling the matter, one of the lines in the letter I received was:

…as requested we have enclosed details of your statement information. ……… as we have not treated your request as full data subject access request….

At no time did I request only details of my statements, I clearly requested FULL DISCLOSURE, and I still require it. Also, by FULL DISCLOSURE, I mean ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING you have in any form.

I am aware that your staff have also attempted to delay other peoples requests by asking for proof of ID and claiming that you have 40 days from it’s receipt. THIS IS INCORRECT, the 40 days starts from the date you receive request with a proper payment, whether you use the payment or not, with this tactic in mind I am sending a copy of my passport with this letter.

My cheque to cover the statutory fee of £10 was returned to me with the letter, and I would consider it a good gesture if you were now to provide the requested details free of charge, maybe as a form of an appology for your staffs shoddy handling of my initial request, I am sending the payment again anyway, but it would be nice to get it returned with the information.

Either way, you have now had more than 40 days to supply the information and have actually commited an offence under the Data Protection Act 1998, but I am prepared to show good will and allow you a further period of grace to sort out this matter. If however, you have not supplied the information I have requested, IN FULL by 3PM on Friday 8th December, I will immediately, and without further notice, take action in the courts to force you to comply.

I look forward to receiving your timely response.

Yours Sincerely

DJWeeble

It'll be in the post tomorrow (Friday) otherwise.

I'm also going to CC it to the customer complaints department, if I can find the details.

M B N A Europe Bank LTD

Stansfield House

Chester Business Park

Chester

Cheshire

CH4 9QQ

Re: Subject Access Request, account number 1234567890

Letter Before Action

Dear Sir,

On 24th October 2006 I served on MBNA Bank Eutopre Limited (or whatever they call themselves) a formal Subject Access Request pursuant to Section 7 of The Data Protection Act 1998 .

The subject Access Request was specifically for, and I quote:

I would like to make a formal request under the Data Protection Act (1998 ) for a complete and exhaustive list of all charges made on this account since its inception. Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you. I also require full particulars of the transfer of the account to Link Financial Services.

Earlier this week I received what can only be assumed to be an attempt by your employees at stalling the matter, one of the lines in the letter I received was:

…as requested we have enclosed details of your statement information. ……… as we have not treated your request as full data subject access request….

At no time did I request only details of my statements, I clearly requested FULL DISCLOSURE, and I still require it. Also, by FULL DISCLOSURE, I mean ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING (The S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) actually asks for a list of charges on the account, is that what you want or do you want every bit of info they hold on you?) you have in any form.

I am aware that your staff have also attempted to delay other peoples requests by asking for proof of ID and claiming that you have 40 days from it’s receipt. THIS IS INCORRECT, What makes you say this? As far as I'm aware the Data Protection Act doesn't make this issue specifically clear, it makes it clear that the Data Controller has 40 days to reply to the SAR but it doesn't make any comments about how the timeframe is affected by any doubt over the applicants ID. I think that logically you are wrong on this point and i don't think the act supports this view so i would suggest you remove it unless you can point to a reference somewhere which supports your view. the 40 days starts from the date you receive request with a proper payment, whether you use the payment or not, with this tactic in mind I am sending a copy of my passport with this letter.(If you can send an original utility bill or similar this would be better than a copy of your passport or anything else IMHO. Bearing in mind the tone and content of your letter if i received a copy i would send it back and ask for an original 'to be certain that i didn't divulge your data to the wrong person, I'm sure you understand'. If you get my drift?)

My cheque to cover the statutory fee of £10 was returned to me with the letter, and I would consider it a good gesture if you were now to provide the requested details free of charge, maybe as a form of an apology for your staffs shoddy handling of my initial request, I am sending the payment again anyway, but it would be nice to get it returned with the information.

Either way, you have now had more than 40 days to supply the information and have actually committed an offence under the Data Protection Act 1998, but I am prepared to show good will and allow you a further period of grace to sort out this matter. If however, you have not supplied the information I have requested, IN FULL by 3PM on Friday 8th December, I will immediately, and without further notice, take action in the courts to force you to comply. Personally I wouldn't give them any more time, they don't need it, I would change this explicitly to a letter before action in the heading (as suggested above) back to them giving them 7 days to comply and then take them to court for non-compliance and complain to the Information Commissioners Office straight away.

Yours Sincerely

DJWeeble

just a couple of suggestions

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks Glenn.

I've taken most of your points (except the utility bill one, for the reason I've outlined below) and incorporated them, how does this now look ?

Re: Subject Access Request, account number: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Letter Before Action

Dear Sir,

On 24th October 2006 I served on MBNA Europe Bank Limited a formal Subject Access Request pursuant to Section 7 of The Data Protection Act 1998 .

The subject Access Request was specifically for, and I quote:

I would like to make a formal request under the Data Protection Act (1998.) for a complete and exhaustive list of all charges made on this account since its inception. Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you. I also require full particulars of the transfer of the account to Link Financial Services.

Earlier this week I received what can only be assumed to be an attempt by one of your employees at stalling the matter, one of the lines in the letter I received was:

At no time did I request only details of my statements, I clearly requested a lot of other information as well, and I still require it, by this I mean ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING you have in any form, going right back to my initial application for the card account..

I am aware that your staff have also attempted to delay other peoples requests by asking for proof of ID and claiming that you have 40 days from it’s receipt, but it would seem to me that you were satisfied enough with my identity to forward your previous letter to my home address, however, with this tactic in mind I am sending you a copy of my passport as proof of my identity.

My cheque to cover the statutory fee of £10 was returned to me with your letter, and I would consider it a good gesture if you were now to provide the requested details free of charge, maybe as a form of an apology for your staffs shoddy handling of my initial request, I am sending the payment again anyway, but it would be nice to get it returned with the information.

Either way, you have now had more than 40 days to supply the information and have actually committed an offence under the Data Protection Act 1998, but I am prepared to show good will and allow you a further period of grace to sort out this matter. If however, you have not supplied the information I have requested, IN FULL by 3PM on Friday 8th December, I will immediately, and without further notice, take action in the courts to force you to comply.

Yours Sincerely

Blah de blah

I can't send a utility bill as you suggested because I'm currently abroad until the end of December, but I do keep a scan of my passport with me at all times when I'm away, that's why I've offered that.

You seem to be the resident expert around these parts as concerns MBNA, so I'll wait for your response before sending :D

djweeble

It looks fine to me and your reasoning re the passport is fine of course.

As far as me being an expert on the MBNA i wouldnt go anywhere near that far but I have some experience with the MBNA and other companies with the DPA issues.

I hope that its been useful to you and good luck with the letter keep us posted.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 1 month later...

Well,

Moving home, changing jobs, sorting out Christmas, etc, etc, etc, has played havoc with my timings. It's also given me a bit of time to work on my reply to the idiots at MBNA.

How does this look ??

Failure to comply with a Subject Access Request, re account number: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Dear Sir,

On 24th October 2006 I served on MBNA Europe Bank Limited a formal Subject Access Request pursuant to Section 7 of The Data Protection Act 1998, by recorded delivery.

The letter was clearly titled in bold lettering with the title “Subject Access Request”, and I quote from its contents:

"I would like to make a formal request under the Data Protection Act (1998.) for a complete and exhaustive list of all charges made on this account since its inception. Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you. I also require full particulars of the transfer of the account to Link Financial Services.”

In return, I received what I can only assume to be an attempt by one of your employees at stalling the matter, one of the lines in the letter I received was:

as requested we have enclosed details of your statement information. ……… as we have not treated your request as full data subject access request….

Clearly, at no time did I request only details of my statements, which by coincidence were not sent with the reply and have never been received. I specifically requested a lot of other information as well, and I still require it. By this I mean ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING you have in any form, starting with my initial application for the card account, up to and including its subsequent transfer to Link Financial Services.

I am very aware that members of your staff have also attempted to delay other peoples requests by asking for proof of ID and claiming that you have 40 days from its receipt, but it would seem to me that you were sufficiently satisfied as to my identity to forward your previous letter to my home address. However, with this delaying tactic in mind I am enclosing a copy of my passport with this final notice as proof of my identity.

The Data Protection Act 1988 clearly states that you have 40 days from receipt of a Subject Access Request with an accepted form of payment, to comply with it, and a cheque drawn on a Sterling account is an accepted form of payment whether you decide to cash it or not. You have therefore had more than 40 days to supply the information and have committed an offence, but I am still prepared to show some good will and allow you a further period of grace to sort out this matter.

With this in mind I am now prepared to give you two FINAL deadlines which I feel are entirely reasonable and I urge you to comply with.

First Deadline:

By 6PM on the third working day after your receipt of this letter you MUST inform me by mail AND email that you unconditionally agree to send me all the requested information by the expiry of the second deadline.

Second Deadline:

Within 14 working days after receiving this letter you MUST send me all the requested information, you MUST also promptly inform me by email that it has been sent.

If I do not receive the information I have requested, IN FULL by 3PM on the 16th working day after your receipt of this letter, I will immediately, and without further notice, take legal action in the courts to force you to comply.

You are warned that this action will also include a claim for all my costs plus interest.

I will also contact the Data Protection Act Information Commissioner and make a formal complaint about your failure to comply with my Subject Access Request. As you know, the Information Commissioner has the power to revoke your licence to process personal data, and my complaint will include references to my court action against you and a request that he does so.

I will also take all of the above action immediately if you do not contact me as requested in my first deadline.

I sincerely urge you NOT to try to use any form of delaying tactics again, as I will take all the actions listed above immediately should you attempt to do so.

I look forward to receiving your timely responses, and still hope that we can now conclude this matter without my having to take legal action.

Yours Sincerely

DJWeeble

It'll be in the post tomorrow evening.

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhhh

I am now seriously p!ssed off with these people :mad:

I just got back exactly the same reply letter as I recieved to my first request:mad:

THAT'S IT !

IC complaint tonight, 7 day letter before action tomorrow with estimated unlawful charges of £4999 + interest at their unauthorised rate.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: