DWP compliance interview?

kitkat871
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am an 18 year old girl. No kids or partner. I had to leave my parents house due to domestic violence. I moved into a hostel and claimed housing benefit and income support (being estranged from my parents and in full time education means I am able to claim income support). I hated it at the hostel so decided to rent a room in someone's house instead. I am still on housing benefit and income support. I told the job centre about my change of address over 3 weeks ago.

I recieved a letter today saying I must attend a compliance interview and bring a utility bill, bank statement, rent agreement etc. That is fine, but the wording on the letter really has me worried!

It says 'We need to see you in order to discuss the benefit we are currently paying you. We need to ensure your payments are correct so it is important that you attend this interview. You should note that where there is doubt about whether the conditions for entitlement are being met your benefit may be affected. If you can not keep this appointment or wish to report any changes in your circumstances please contact me immediately.'

Am I being investigated for fraud?!

I can think of three reasons I may have this interview:

1) When I applied for income suppor at no point did anyone ask to see my bank statements, maybe they have just realised their mistake

2) They may want to know if I am still living independantly as I am now living in a house with a family (but I pay rent and buy my own food etc?)

3) I haven't been to college for two weeks due to sinusitis, but surely that can't be it?

I have done nothing illegal and still meet all the conditions of entitlement. I know I will get answers saying 'if you've done nothing wrong you don't need to worry' but I can't help it! If they stop my benefit for any reason I'm screwed. I feel like the wording in the letter is accusatory and I'm scared. Help please?

Me again.

Thread moved from the legal forum to here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?413260-DWP-compliance-interview

The majority of compliance interviews we see here are nothing to worry about. :) It is what it says, to make sure you're getting the right benefits for your circumstances.

While you're waiting for the guys to come along and reassure you, have a look around the benefits forum for Compliance threads by other people to see how their cases ended. You can use the search facility to do this.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

:katyaax:

'Am I being investigated for fraud?' No! Compliance isn't fraud investigation, and if they suspected you of fraud they'd already have your bank statements.

As the name suggests 'compliance' is about ensuring everything's as it should be with a claim, and that the correct benefits are in payment for the claimant's circumstances. More than half of compliance checks are selected at random by a computer. The rest are triggered by minor irregularities, or if Work n Pensions need to check the details of a claim. Which could be the case here cos your situation's slightly unusual.

The language of the letters is 'unfortunate', we've been trying to get it toned down for years. Doesn't mean you're being accused of fraud, which requires intent. From what you've written, you've nothing to be scared of. :-)

Margaret.