Dealing with old Natwest debt - help!

katy3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3781 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I feel very stupid for writing this but

I have some debts from when I was a student with Natwest which are still not cleared.

In short I had a small business when at university and it all went belly up

they closed my business account (sole trader) and student account in June 2008.

The student account has an outstanding balance of £576.

The business account has an outstanding balance of £2,624

Natwest passed the debt to Scotcall who I last had contact with in 2011,

since then I haven't been paying anything back on either account.

I have just had a letter from Natwest to say that the business account debt

has been moved from Scotcall to Zinc Group.

The obvious thing is that I just need to pay these off, but money is tight (as ever).

Should I be negotiating with them or doing something else?

I haven't contacted them already as I have seen some posters say that it isn't always a good idea to acknowledge the debt.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome, and there is absolutely zero need to feel stupid, you won't be judged, only by the trolls and bank lovers amongst the community!

When did you take these accounts out?

When you say a business account, do you mean a running/current account?

The same for the Student account?

Do NOT contact Snotcall/Zinc or any other tame debt collection agency (DCA)

DO NOT discuss this over the phone with anyone, bank or DCA.

You need to give more info first.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If scotcall are around then it is very likely the debt is unenforceable. Scotcall do not deal with valid debts, or at least ive never seen them do it.

Sit tight for now, or you can send natwest a SAR, to find out the exact status of the debts, without guessing and jumping to conclusions like you are doing now.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Bazooka, renegadeimp - thank you both.

The student account was what my old current account transformed into that I had since I was a kid.

The business account (a current account) opened in 2001.

Natwest froze the accounts in 2008.

I checked my credit file and there is a default from Natwest in relation to the student account only from June 2008.

I looked up what a SAR is and I'm happy to do that and I won't phone them.

But grateful for any advice on what my "game plan" should be.

Thanks again.

When was the last time you ade any payments to those accounts and made written acknowledgement the debts were yours?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

My last payment to the student account was just over two years ago. The last payment to the business account was just over a year ago (in both cases I was paying £30 a month).

Ahh so not SB then. I think you are going to have to SAR your bank. Something definitely isnt right if scotcall are involved.

Go through it with a fine tooth comb and look for anything that doesn't look right, and fees/charges they may have added.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!