• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Forced to use Universal Jobmatch

Abbtt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Found it very difficult to use, and sometimes there was no apply button on the website for you to apply for jobs. Also sometimes cannot even login to the website like today where errors appeared when trying to login to the account.

First, just would like to know if it is alright to use the website to record job search activities only, or have to use the website everyday to actually apply for jobs. Second, it is alright to just enter all job search activities on the day prior the signing on day? Sometimes have two interviews on the same day and only applying for jobs on the phone, after finishing those interviews and got home just want to have some good sleep. Third, will the information stores on the website like your CVs, personal information etc be there forever?

Take screenshots of offending "job adverts", print them out. When UJ has "technical difficulties", again, do a screenshot and print it out.

1. Get yourself an A4 pad and record your job search activities on a day by day basis. Record everything, even if it is just clicking on a "work for us" link on a web site (record it as "contacted xxx for suitable vacancies"). When UJ throws an error, staple the screenshot to that days activity. You can not (currently) be mandated to record your activity via UJ or grant permission for DWP to access your account.
  2. Record things on a daily basis or as soon as you can after the event. Don't try to rely on memory. The Job Centre may also try to sanction you if they spot several days worth of entries looking the same - Handwriting varies from day to day depending on mood, level of alertness, and what pen is to hand.
  3. One would hope that the data is stored for no longer than is necessary, or failing that, no more than seven years. However, as the servers are located in the USA and are beyond your control, your guess is as good as mine as to how long the data is stored.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try to do it on Excel by creating my own job diary table or just on a piece of paper, and hope that they will accept it (finger crossed). Just few more question, if the JC adviser is not going to take my diary as evidence of actively looking for jobs, what I can do then?

The second question is that I was told by one of the adviser once that if we did not do what the Jc advisers requested us to do, we might be asked to print out all emails we received from the job hunting websites or companies that we applied to with both our email and the company email addresses shown. I really do not wish that to happen because I have another email address for job hunting and it is different from the one I used to register with UJ and given to the JC....

How you record your job search activity is entirely up to you - With a spreadsheet, you can insert screenshots of UJ defects/questionable jobs. Paper based, you'd want to retain printouts. Which ever method you use, be consistent and list everything. Should anyone demand to look at your records, you can drown them in nauseating detail :yuck:

I once had an adviser telling me that if she demanded it, I would have to provide hard copies of emails - I asked her how this demand could be reconciled with data protection and privacy laws and heard nothing more of it. If push came to shove, to/from headers would have been redacted along with any sensitive information. A marker pen is a very useful tool in these situations.

I have said this a couple of times and I will state it again, Universal Jobmatch is not mandatory, I repeat not mandatory.

However, you can be mandated to create a UJ account. As part of your job seeker's agreement, you can also be required to search for X number of jobs per week on it. Failure to comply on both counts could result in a sanction.

Granting access and using UJ to record job search activity is not mandatory, so there is still scope to raise two fingers to the system.

I will have a new contract on my next signing day..... Can I refuse to sign if the adviser put down something like use UJ xxx times every week on the new contract?? or Can they actually sanction me based on that??

To receive Job Seekers Allowance, you are required to have a valid Job Seeker's Agreement - Your current one satisfies this condition. The JSAg can be updated at any time, however, should it include conditions that you feel are inappropriate, you can ask for it to be referred to a Decision Maker (unless the rules have changed recently). With any luck, by the time it comes back from a DM, it will have been forgotten about.

Tip: If you get asked if you have broadband and about your daily computer usage, or which publications and frequency you read them, give non-committal answers. I once mentioned that I use the internet daily and read certain trade rags only to find it became a central part of my JSAg.

I'm setting up my UJ account at the Job Centre this afternoon...any tips on do's and dont's
Don't tick the boxes that give DWP access to your account.Don't upload a CV with too much personal information - Minimum of details, no phone numbers or email addresses.Don't let yourself be bullied in to allowing access or putting up information you don't want to be in the public domain.

As for appointments - These should always be in writing and either handed to you or posted in good time. As this is a JCP adviser, I'd suggest going, but demand travel expenses are reimbursed in full before entering in to any other conversation.

• 1 month later...

The goalposts are slowly being moved, as as they do so, the supporting documents change. The most up to date statement I can find regarding job search evidence is: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mandatory_proof_of_job_searching - Print this out to support any claim that a paper based record is acceptable.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on the F.o.I. requests and published DWP documents to see if there is any fundamental change - Not everyone has a computer or access to the internet, so I don't see how the DWP can realistically force through a change that mandates all claimants to record activity via UJM. If they did, it would be worth asking what measures are in place when the system goes down (e.g. for maintenance).

Then of course, there is the regular question as to what law allows a JCP adviser the right to access a claimants UJ account - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/giving_job_centre_acess_to_unive - There is no legislation in place that overrules the rights of an individual to privacy !

Edited by Mr.P

• 2 weeks later...
"the Government winning a court case" (?) and all UJM data now being stored behind a "government firewall not at Monster.com which makes everything all legal and ok".

(ask) Is there a reference to this "court case" so that we can read the full and final judgement ?

As for data storage - This may be the case, but the data is still being submitted via a server located outside the UK and not under the direct control of the DWP. Regardless of court rulings and location of the data storage, it does not override your rights under the Data Protection Act or rights to privacy.

It would be worth keeping an eye on the PCS union web site to see what guidance they issue to their members.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
It's taken me a long time to figure it out...bogus ads don't want to be called up/out on their so-called 'offer', so they won't put up a phone number.

Other giveaways for dodgy jobs. Mobile or premium rate phone numbers, gmail/yahoo/hotmail contact - A reputable business will use a real number and have their own email server.

Keywords: Revolutionary product, unmissable opportunity, wellness adviser, guaranteed selection, etc.

• 1 month later...

Kerion: You may find the following FoI worth reading - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mandated_access_to_a_universal_j - The annotations quoting sections of the Decision Maker's manual are worth following up. If need be, refer to the relevant paragraphs when penning your mandatory reconsideration letter.

A JCP adviser can ask for supporting evidence of a job application, this can be an acknowledgement email, a copy of the letter sent, or a screen print.

If this adviser is demanding that you log on to a personal account from an untrusted computer (e.g. a DWP provided internet access device), be aware that the details could be intercepted - unlikely to happen at the JCP, but is possible if you use an internet cafe. I would strongly recommend that you change your passwords on a regular basis.